View Poll Results: Do you plan to play Sails of Glory?

Voters
443. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yea Yea Captian! (Yes)

    240 54.18%
  • Maybe, ships are kind of cool. (Maybe)

    128 28.89%
  • That's mutiny I say! (No)

    75 16.93%
Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516
Results 751 to 786 of 786

Thread: Sails of Glory, do you plan on playing?

  1. #751

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    A suppose the issue is, can you make your opponent fight on terms disadvantageous to him? The essence of maneuver warfare.
    Bingo. And bear in mind there's really only two options to keep the CSA functional

    1) Break the blockade of the South by opening Southern ports, or;
    2) Inflict a counterblockade of the North by closing Northern ports.

    In either case: This is not a fight for deep-water naval units; this is going to be a battle of small, light-weight units close to shore.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    One of the problems of what-ifs (for me at least) is making the change point in history plausible. Not a lot of reason for the British Empire to have a war with the USA to support the CSA. Despite Turrtledove's best efforts. (though I did like the books).
    Harrison, not Turtledove -- Turtledove's series existed for only one reason: Wipe the Republican Party from history (the guy is a screaming Leftist, like most published SF authors). Harrison's design was to accelerate the USA's inevitable rise to "sole world power" status by about a century.

    I also stick with the "one-change rule": The author is allowed one big change; subsequent changes must flow logically from there. In this case, there is only one plausible way to accomplish the necessary Big Change (Gladstone vice Palmerston); and by the time it happens, there's not time for Britain to make the necessary adjustments for the war it will be fighting in the US.

  2. #752

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post
    Harrison, not Turtledove
    Which book by Harrison?
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

  3. #753

    Default

    The Stars and Stripes trilogy--I'm gonna disagree with Chris a little, it came off as less "USA becomes sole superpower a century early" fan-wank and more "Crush Britain, and Irish/Scot independence" wet-dream.

  4. #754

    Default

    Well, Harrison does go off in odd directions. I remember his Viking trilogy that had ironclads in the 11th cen.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

  5. #755

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post
    Bingo. And bear in mind there's really only two options to keep the CSA functional

    1) Break the blockade of the South by opening Southern ports, or;
    2) Inflict a counterblockade of the North by closing Northern ports.

    In either case: This is not a fight for deep-water naval units; this is going to be a battle of small, light-weight units close to shore.
    1 probably yes, but 2 will be a combination of large units offshore and smaller vessels inshore.

    by the time it happens, there's not time for Britain to make the necessary adjustments for the war it will be fighting in the US.
    There is if you assume things run on for more than several months. The Baltic inshore fleet went from "good idea" to deployed in about 9.

  6. #756

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    1 probably yes, but 2 will be a combination of large units offshore and smaller vessels inshore.
    Probably, but if the British do split up, there's a threat of "defeat in detail" -- most likely: The Northerners pop out of port, squash the inshore units, then run back into port before the deep-water units can show up. Think of it was the same problem the North had in trying to take Richmond: Army of Virginia was always on the inside of the curve, Army of the Potomac on the outside; so AoV always got the good ground first, and could maneuver to stay in front of AotP. By the same token: The British "outer ring" (the big deep-water units) never know when the Northerners are going to come out to take a poke at the "inner ring". And if the big units try to come in, they don't know the territory -- they're more likely to run into sandbars and such.

    This is why most of the scenarios we ran leaned towards the "grand schmozzle" -- try to destroy as much of the Northern battle-fleet as possible quickly, rather than settle into (another) long, grinding siege.

    Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    There is if you assume things run on for more than several months. The Baltic inshore fleet went from "good idea" to deployed in about 9.
    True, and my copy of _Conway's_ shows quite a few of them still available (tho' laid up) in 1861. The desc.s say they were lacking in endurance and sea-keeping, so I wonder how they could be gotten across the Atlantic (carried as cargo?).

  7. #757

    Default

    Perhaps the "Landing Ship, Dock" shows up a century early?

  8. #758

    Default

    The smaller stuff would probably been towed if there had been concerned. Or there would be some sensible weather routing. But in general thry were adequate seaboats and with sail assistance they had the legs to make a crossing.

  9. #759

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    The smaller stuff would probably been towed if there had been concerned. Or there would be some sensible weather routing. But in general thry were adequate seaboats and with sail assistance they had the legs to make a crossing.
    Hm -- _Conway's_ says they couldn't make a trans-Atlantic crossing unaided (or rather, it states a model post-dating the ACW period by a wide margin was "the first to be able to make the crossing unaided", which implies previous iterations could not).

  10. #760

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post
    Hm -- _Conway's_ says they couldn't make a trans-Atlantic crossing unaided (or rather, it states a model post-dating the ACW period by a wide margin was "the first to be able to make the crossing unaided", which implies previous iterations could not).
    As I said, some of the smaller gunboats you'd not want to make a sea crossing in unless conditions were ideal (draughts down to 4 feet would not inspire confidence without assistance, agreed).

    However, the "unaided crossing" comment in the Conways text, referring to the "Algerine" class relates to the 1857 class, not the 1880 class. And a number of the gunboat and gunvessel classes operated around the world after the "Crimean" war, including service in China and the Caribbean, so their ability to transit open ocean was apparent.

  11. #761

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    And a number of the gunboat and gunvessel classes operated around the world after the "Crimean" war, including service in China and the Caribbean, so their ability to transit open ocean was apparent.
    Given what the Vikings crossed the Atlantic in, I suppose one could assume a gunboat could do it -- altho' I suspect the interior would look much like a WW2 submarine ("Can someone help me move this crate of canned beans so I can take a dump?").

  12. #762

  13. #763

    Default

    Or transiting as a squadron in company with a storeship to carry supplies... I'd probably keep 'em tied up TO each other and the storeship myself.

  14. #764

    Default

    Finally relented, bought the starter rules set + 4 extra ships. Time to sail the ocean blue!

  15. #765

    Default

    I am hesitant because of the so called packaging problem that was causing some ship miniatures to arrive broken.

    Is the plans to fix this implemented now?

  16. #766

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by colby_bimore View Post
    I am hesitant because of the so called packaging problem that was causing some ship miniatures to arrive broken.

    Is the plans to fix this implemented now?
    Please bear in mind that the broken mast issue was confined to Wave 2 ships not the Starter or wave 1
    Also the breakages do seem to have been limited, unless others know different, to some of the models, not all.
    The sloops none, I think only one frigate and possibly three of the 1st rates were very susceptible.
    Lastly yes the repackaging has been completed so now all seems to be ok and the theory does seem to be no further instances should occur.
    It is a good game so take the ahem plunge.
    If your looking for a deeply technical sailing ship game, go elsewhere, but if you want a fun game that gives you that little bit of sailing technique, then here you go
    Have fun

  17. #767

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by colby_bimore View Post
    I am hesitant because of the so called packaging problem that was causing some ship miniatures to arrive broken.

    Is the plans to fix this implemented now?
    So far as I understand it, Chris is correct.

    The packaging issues have been solved and changes implemented... I ordered several additional HMS Sybille (40-gun Hebe) frigates (to serve as USS Chesapeake, USS Constellation, USS New York, USS Philadelphia, etc.) a month ago and noted a difference in packaging from the originals I received when released. There was a small plastic insert that braced the masts, supporting beyond that which the original packing provided.

    None of those originally shipped to me were broken (I got lucky), and those newer frigates were packed much more soundly.

  18. #768

    Default

    What you still need to watch for is online retailers still have the old packaging. Until all of them have been replaced with the new packaging I suggest you order them from the Anchorage. Keith tapes them well enough to avoid shipping damage.

  19. #769

    Default

    Thanks to everyone for their feedback and comments! I thought my wallet was hurt bad enough dabbling in Wings Of Glory but now this might be compounded by Sails Of Glory

  20. #770

    Default

    I'm pleased we could be of some help, Colby. I have bought into SoG, myself, but have yet to modify any of the pieces. According to those who have done so before, a little work improves dramatically the look of the ships.

    Best of luck!

  21. #771

    Default

    I'm pleased we could be of some help, Colby. I have bought into SoG, myself, but have yet to modify any of the pieces. According to those who have done so before, a little work improves dramatically the look of the ships.

    Best of luck!

  22. #772

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fast.git View Post
    I'm pleased we could be of some help, Colby. I have bought into SoG, myself, but have yet to modify any of the pieces. According to those who have done so before, a little work improves dramatically the look of the ships.

    Best of luck!
    Thank you Christopher! My fleet has sailed, look for my first post on the Anchorage

  23. #773

    LOOP
    Guest


    Default

    It sounds like a great game but I am happy flying WW1-birds

  24. #774

    Default

    My backlog of hobby ...... stuff...... is already maxed out. I am looking at the need to thin the herd a bit, not broaden it ( though it pains me to admit as such. ) I keep trying to spin it as a storage problem........

  25. #775

    Banned



    Blog Entries
    42
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Location
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown
    3,127
    Join Date
    Feb 2015

    Default

    Only out of interest and if given the chance. Cannot accommodate another full-time hobby as I too am maxed out

  26. #776

    Default

    We, that is local friends and I already do naval warfare on occasions. Napoleonic in 1/1200 with various rules, WWI & WWII in 1/3000 with Victory at Sea.
    I'm not adverse to trying SoG, but I can't buy in to another system.

  27. #777

    Default

    I ran a Sails of Glory game at the Trumpeter Salute in Vancouver, BC. It was a lot of fun! Most of the players were new to the game so I set up a fairly simple scenario. The British had taken a Spanish ship-of-the-line as a prize and were escorting it back to Gibraltar when they were intercepted by the French. The Spanish ship had heavy damage and only a skeleton crew (represented by only 4 hull and 3 crew boxes remaining and unrepairable mast damage). The battle took place in open seas with steady winds. The Brits would win if they could get the prize off the western edge of the map. The French would win if they could take the prize and get it off the east of southeast edge. Brits had three ships aside from the prize consisting of a 100 gun, a 74 gun frigate with exceptional gunners, and a 32 gun ship. The French had a 118 gun ship, a 74 gun ship, and two 32 gun ships. The French were under orders not to damage the prize and therefore could only engage her with grapeshot, musketry, or boarding actions.

    It was a very bloody game! The British 74 gun had very back luck right off the bat and took what should have been a moderate 4B hit hit. It opened up 3 leaks in his hull and, as we were using the sinking rule, he went down 2 turns later when he pulled the sink chit just as he was patching up the 2nd leak. One turn later, the French 118 gun ship took two fire criticals and exploded two turns later when the fires reached the powder magazine. Counter boarding actions between the French and Brit 32s decimated both crews with the French striking her colours to the Brit and the Brit doing the same to the other French 32 one turn later after a broadside killed off the remaining crew. Good times!

  28. #778

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Foz View Post
    I'm not adverse to trying SoG, but I can't buy in to another system.
    I'm in the same boat, pardon the pun.

  29. #779

    Default

    Having enough trouble hiding new plane acquisitions from SWMBO!

  30. #780

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mugwump View Post
    I ran a Sails of Glory game at the Trumpeter Salute in Vancouver, BC. It was a lot of fun! Most of the players were new to the game so I set up a fairly simple scenario. The British had taken a Spanish ship-of-the-line as a prize and were escorting it back to Gibraltar when they were intercepted by the French. The Spanish ship had heavy damage and only a skeleton crew (represented by only 4 hull and 3 crew boxes remaining and unrepairable mast damage). The battle took place in open seas with steady winds. The Brits would win if they could get the prize off the western edge of the map. The French would win if they could take the prize and get it off the east of southeast edge. Brits had three ships aside from the prize consisting of a 100 gun, a 74 gun frigate with exceptional gunners, and a 32 gun ship. The French had a 118 gun ship, a 74 gun ship, and two 32 gun ships. The French were under orders not to damage the prize and therefore could only engage her with grapeshot, musketry, or boarding actions.

    It was a very bloody game! The British 74 gun had very back luck right off the bat and took what should have been a moderate 4B hit hit. It opened up 3 leaks in his hull and, as we were using the sinking rule, he went down 2 turns later when he pulled the sink chit just as he was patching up the 2nd leak. One turn later, the French 118 gun ship took two fire criticals and exploded two turns later when the fires reached the powder magazine. Counter boarding actions between the French and Brit 32s decimated both crews with the French striking her colours to the Brit and the Brit doing the same to the other French 32 one turn later after a broadside killed off the remaining crew. Good times!

    Nice after action report Mick.

  31. #781

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Franco Lucchini View Post
    Having enough trouble hiding new plane acquisitions from SWMBO!
    Give her a 5th rate and tell her how much you fear Women Pirates and use a sloop for yourself to build up her confidence. Then show where (The Anchorage) she can buy more ships to build up her fleet

  32. #782

    Default

    Bought the main set and the mat with all the batteries, shoals and coast lines packs, damage counter bags but haven't managed to get a game in yet.

  33. #783

    Default

    Have reasonably sized French and British fleets which I have played with possibly twenty or so times. Still not confident enough to use the advanced rules and also still can't get my head around the collision procedures but I will persevere.
    Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm. Winston S. Churchill

  34. #784

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Franco Lucchini View Post
    Having enough trouble hiding new plane acquisitions from SWMBO!
    I can relate!!! Although I must admit it is tempting (like what I need is yet another game system to learn....)

  35. #785

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NewFlyBoy View Post
    I can relate!!! Although I must admit it is tempting (like what I need is yet another game system to learn....)
    I know what you mean. When I was younger and single I would buy any new game that struck my fancy. Now I'm more concerned with cost, cost over time and replay-ability. No matter how great it may seem I don't need that many gaming "decorations". Of course there are a few exceptions such as some Star Wars items.

  36. #786

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ken at Sunrise View Post
    I know what you mean. When I was younger and single I would buy any new game that struck my fancy. Now I'm more concerned with cost, cost over time and replay-ability. No matter how great it may seem I don't need that many gaming "decorations". Of course there are a few exceptions such as some Star Wars items.
    yes, replay ability would be determinate for me...don't know anyone near me who does this (sigh)....

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •