Ares Games

Thread: First Flight

Default First Flight

Just flew my 1st sortie with my wife. She chose the Messerschmitt Me. 109E then wanted to swap with me for the Spitfire. She flew quite well but in the end I took her down. This is just as good as the WW1 game but love the speed and the 2 card play. Faster reaction time I think. Also like the fly by instinct. Good rule. Please tell your first flight stories.

Tom

Glad you enjoyed WWII. It is such a diverse war.

Henry

I try and try to persuade my fiance to play a quick game with me, but she won't bother...

Users Country Flag

Blog Entries
    Name
    Philippe
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by CappyTom View Post
    Just flew my 1st sortie with my wife. She chose the Messerschmitt Me. 109E then wanted to swap with me for the Spitfire. She flew quite well but in the end I took her down. This is just as good as the WW1 game but love the speed and the 2 card play. Faster reaction time I think. Also like the fly by instinct. Good rule. Please tell your first flight stories.

Tom
    Hey Tom, yeah its the same here. I really love the WWII play style and the planes but hanging around here makes me play WWI.

I mostly play with my wife too! But the thing is she likes to dogfight (whatever that means) and so when I play solo I try out missions. She wont do missions.

Now I don't think my wife likes to play the game but she hates to lose. She is very competitive and I love that about her. She plays just to make me happy I think. She even tells me she loves me. Now she doesn't like missions either just wants to shoot me out of the sky. I guess that's love.

Tom

Good job on getting her to play!

I managed to get some family members to play a game after Thanksgiving Dinner. They seemed to enjoy it. They said they would like to play again sometime. I hope so...

Had a couple of flights (minis) now and want to tell about the feeling compared to WWI.

First of all: I got shot down twice. We had two matches. The first one was a simple dogfight, two Bf-109s versus two Spits. At the end only one Messerschmitt was left. The planes are more or less equal but the spit got these nice little side-maneuvers.
    The problem with the dogfight is when it comes to one on one. We we're flying circle after circle until one decided to stop and try another aproach. This took quite a long time and was (I have to say that) quite boring after a while.

To bring a bit more flair into the flight we took another aproach and flew an observing mission. Two Zeros defending infantry versus two Wildcats of which one had to make a picture. We are all used to the WWI models, so the first approach to make the picture failed completely, the turn was much to wide. We also had some crashes (but I guess that's just us - it always happens). One Wildcat was shot down by ground fire - the mission failed for the US.

So now about the feeling:

I definitely love the WWII planes, but the new turn system feels a lot more slowly. It actually isn't but it feels like. That's okay, so you can really feel the planes which are also much heavier then the WWI planes and have less maneuverability. But on the other hand that's also the point which can leed to a pretty boring dogfight. We just missed each other so often. In general I would say the one-on-one dogfight is a lot more tactical. We still need more flights to come along with the maneuverability. And we are looking forward to the stukas for decent fights and missions.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Andreas
    Sorties Flown

hi all,..

I had my first Air sortie Yesterday, with my WWII Minis...
    We had both enjoyed our first mission flight!

We did play with the beginner rules, with some other rules Tailing, Damage, and so on.
    it was only a one on one Dog fight, but still fun for the first time.

At the end I got the Zero on the run..
    With my Wildcat...
    I am looking forward to the next Flights.

Greet's

Andreas

Had another match yesterday and we used a mssion to get another point of view on the game.

Two Bf109 had to bomb a ground target - one was carrying the bomb, the other was protecting the flight. On the opposing side: One Spit MkI and one MkII.
    Result: Not a single shot on the Spits, a slightly missplaced bomb and one Bf down (after it dropped the bomb).

Feeling: It's alot more fun playing a scenario than a plain dogfight. The Bf with the bomb had to concentrate to drop the bomb and tried not to get involved in any dogfights. The second Bf missed one Spit before it could get a clear shot (unfortunately, cause the Bf are usually pretty good at the first strike). After the first flyby the Bf with the bomb took one wrong decision according to the speed (this means really a lot when bombing!). The other planes had to do immelmanns or split-s to get back on track. After this the Spits could easily shoot down the bombing plane. And in the end there was again the good old circling around.

I'm definitely waiting for the bombers to come - the bombing mission was great fun but again after the bomb was placed the old problem with slow maneuverability came up. Still need to try out the fuel rules and might involve FLAKs as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Scoop View Post

Feeling: It's alot more fun playing a scenario than a plain dogfight.
    I 100% agree. IMHO WWII begs for scenarios to force the action. We have had much more success/fun with the few scenarios with objectives we have dreamed up vs. straight up dog fighting.

WWI it is nice to do scenarios, but it tends to lend itself more to the dogfight as well.

Thumbs up First Flight!

My first flight was i a Me-109E against Spitfire flown by a friend. After a initial head on close range pass which us both damaged we consulted the rules. We decided to play with the special damage rules and had to check what those odd looking symbols meant. We circled and maneuvered for several turns while i sweated out pulling damage chits for a fire started on the first pass. I was within three damage points from crashing when i hit him with a long range shot.
    My opponent removed his plane and admitted that i had damaged his engine and jammed his rudder on the first pass.

Similar Missions

1. WGF: Flight of Giants
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Site News and Announcements
    Replies: 218
    Last Post: 09-28-2010, 09:24
  2. Rise of Flight
    By Seiseki in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 47
    Last Post: 03-19-2010, 04:10
  3. CY6 Maneuverable Flight Stand
    By The Blue Baron in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 16