Ares Games
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Solo Rules tested. Downed by an AI pilot.

When is the eraly wars kicking off Rob. Need to get some aircraft in for that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    I have young Kyte and his new oppos all prepped up for this.52 sq. Young rookie pilots all, long before they got the "Bulldogs" epithet.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Skafloc View Post
    When is the early wars kicking off Rob. Need to get some aircraft in for that one.
    The OTT still has six more people to write a sortie so I should imagine about March time Neil.
    Rob.

I am so glad you like playing with my little solo system!

I wish you many happy hours playing!

Richard, please notify us if of any new such inventions of yours

Quote Originally Posted by Herkybird View Post

Your system is inspired Richard.
    Is there any chance of a WWII L deck in the offing?
    Rob.

You've given many of us many happy hours of playing that we would not have otherwise had. Can't thank you enough.

The OTT still has six more people to write a sortie so I should imagine about March time Neil.
    Rob.
    Thats the Xmas pressies sorted then

Quote Originally Posted by MoonSylver View Post
    You've given many of us many happy hours of playing that we would not have otherwise had. Can't thank you enough.
    Hear, hear.

Quote Originally Posted by 7eat51 View Post
    Hear, hear.
    X2!

Thank you from deepest Brittany, where no one plays WOW and solo is the only way you get a game, except if you have Skype

Which model uses Deck L in the WW2 game?

I am less affectionate to the WW2 game, but will happily do a solo rules card for it if I know where to get an L deck!!

Hi Richard.
    It is the Gloucester Gladiator which uses the L deck. if you would like one, i can send it to you.
    Rob.

Thanks for the offer....as per my usual practice, I have one winging its way to me from Amazon as we speak!
    Once I get it it will not take long to work out the chart, and I will try to get it on the club website soon. I will happily send you a copy as soon as its done of course so you can give your 109E pilots something to chew on!

Thanks for the offer....as per my usual practice, I have one winging its way to me from Amazon as we speak!
    Once I get it it will not take long to work out the chart, and I will try to get it on the club website soon. I will happily send you a copy as soon as its done of course so you can give your 109E pilots something to chew on!

That is very kind of you Rick considering your situation at the moment. Don't please feel that you have to knock out a chart just at the moment post haste. I can quite happily wait until things calm down a bit at your end.
    Rob.
    Last edited by Flying Officer Kyte; 09-27-2013 at 10:35.

I am so glad you like playing with my little solo system! I wish you many happy hours playing!
    We are certainly getting that Richard !!
    Will you be doing an advanced U deck chart or is it easier to piggyback that on another ?

I am happy to do charts asap as it gets it done. I hate having projects hanging over me!!
    I will also try to do charts for the twin engined bombers. I have been working on a similar group of models for my X-Wing solo rules, so it shouldnt be much of a chore.
    PS: My name is Rick, not Chris!

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    We are certainly getting that Richard !!
    Will you be doing an advanced U deck chart or is it easier to piggyback that on another ?
    I assume this is the U deck for WW2? - which model uses that deck?
    I always like to do unique charts for the solo rules, as it allows me to add what I consider personality into the manoeuvre choice selection.

Sorry Richard, should have specified - WW1 - U deck is the new deck for the Sopwith Triplane - As the O deck but minus 2 sharp left turns, or the M deck minus a sharp left and a wide sideslip, off the top of my head. By the way my son will be up for your solo X-wing charts !!
    Last edited by flash; 09-26-2013 at 13:53.

I just picked up a Soppy Tripe from Travelling man last week, I will have a go at the chart over the weekend...if blogging and house work dont get in the way!

Excellent ! Thanks Richard.
    Yep, keeping an eye on this thread for updates in the near future. Thanks Richard!

Sorry Richard, should have specified - WW1 - U deck is the new deck for the Sopwith Triplane - As the O deck but minus 2 sharp left turns, or the M deck minus a sharp left and a wide sideslip, off the top of my head. By the way my son will be up for your solo X-wing charts !!
    Hi Flash! - I have just finished the 'U' deck for the Sopwith Triplane as you asked. Unfortunately, Andy, the chap who runs our downloads page is off galavanting somewhere this weekend, and isn't around to put this file with the others!
    If you want a copy before he returns, just E-Mail me at richardbradley5@gmail.com, who knows, you may be the first person (after me) to try it!
    I hope you enjoy using it, but be warned, the Sopwith Tripe is a nippy bird!

Your system is inspired Richard.
    Is there any chance of a WWII L deck in the offing?
    Rob.
    Hiya Rob! - I have just finished the 'L' deck for the Gloucester Gladiator as you asked. Unfortunately, Andy, the chap who runs our downloads page is off galavanting somewhere this weekend, and isn't around to put this file with the others!
    If you want a copy before he returns, just E-Mail me at richardbradley5@gmail.com, who knows, you may be the first person (after me) to try it!
    I hope you enjoy using it, but be warned, the Gladiator is mobile but a bit of a turkey in the air!

I am happy to do charts asap as it gets it done. I hate having projects hanging over me!!
    I will also try to do charts for the twin engined bombers. I have been working on a similar group of models for my X-Wing solo rules, so it shouldnt be much of a chore.
    I have just finished a couple of WW2 twin engined bomber decks for The Heinkel 111 and B-25 Mitchell. If anyone wants to try them, please contact me by private message or directly at richardbradley5@gmail.com.

They are unmanouverable crates, and have a standing order now that they will return to their bombing route when not under attack. They also evade more than the fighters, which makes more use of their gun positions!

I've been playing with my advanced solo charts, that I upgrade from the amazing Richard Bradley's solo charts.

You can find some of them here (cleaned by Richard Bradley):

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/dow...o=file&id=1039

And the fast drawn charts made by me here:

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/album.php?albumid=1240

I've always wanted to add better reflexes to the AI player in some situations where was easy to get the AI plane under my cross-hair. During my three last scenarios I tried a couple of things that worked out very well. They are easy to use and don't need any change in the charts. So, without further introductions my optional Solo Rules:

Optional Solo Rules for the Advanced Solo Charts

1) Enemy plane is less that 1 ruler from AI plane from any facing and clearly closing: Use table 6/7 - Closing
    2) Enemy plane is less that 1 ruler in the 12/1 arc of the AI plane and is not clearly closing or moving away and moving to the left side of the AI plane: Use table 10/11 - closing
    3) Enemy plane is less that 1 ruler in the 12/1 arc of the AI plane and is not clearly closing or moving away and moving to the right side of the AI plane: Use table 2/3 - closing

I hope that these changes will reduce the strange movement that in some cases the AI plane does when faced with enemy planes very close.

If any of you uses these rules, please let me know if they worked out well. Thanks.

fledermaus

Hello!

I'm new - that's me over there.

I just finished my first WGF solo game using the Hatfield / Mather advanced Spad table for my opponents (AAR to come, I promise.) A couple of times, the table asked me to perform a series of manoeuvres that didn't seem possible with my A decks. Specifically, the table indicates three slips to the left or the right in a row - see:

Zone 1 Roll 3-4 Long Nose
    Zone 2 Roll 3-4 Long Nose
    Zone 11 Roll 3-4 Close Tail
    Zone 11 Roll 5-6 Long Right

My A decks only have two of each manoeuvre (as per this diagram), not three. As a rookie I assume I'm reading / doing something incorrectly, but not sure what! Appreciate any advice. (I just replaced the last slip with a turn during the game - worked out OK.)

You're right, Matt. The deck only has those manoeuvres.
    Try these tables:

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/dow...p?do=cat&id=63

I hope they work for you.

Dont worry! - a few people have already noticed the errors in those decks.
    Joaquim's are correct, and may suit you.

The original basic rules are at http://tynesidewargames.co.uk/wowrules.html, I assume you have already tried these?

Happy gaming anyway!

fledermaus

Thanks Joaquim and Richard. I enjoyed the advanced table AI (and it certainly seemed to hold its own), but going to try Richard's original rules next, then Joaquim's tables.

I'm really grateful for the work you've put into the solo rules. I suspect I'll use them even when I have other players around. Shooting down your mates is fun for a while, but teaming up against a smart AI over the course of a campaign is better!

Quote Originally Posted by fledermaus View Post
    Thanks Joaquim and Richard. I enjoyed the advanced table AI (and it certainly seemed to hold its own), but going to try Richard's original rules next, then Joaquim's tables.

I'm really grateful for the work you've put into the solo rules. I suspect I'll use them even when I have other players around. Shooting down your mates is fun for a while, but teaming up against a smart AI over the course of a campaign is better!
    I hope you like them.
    I also do that with my nephew and wife. We (four) fight together in a squadron against the AI planes. It's a blast as we create stories for our pilots and we see the story unfolding. We take great pleasure in that.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Rich
    Sorties Flown

Just had a pleasant afternoon flying 2 Spits against 3 109s a couple of times in my first use of Herkybirds solo rules. Thanks muchly... However, the only logical explanation for what happened in both sorties is that Mr. B managed to cunningly program the phantom pilots to cheat !
    Well done that man!

Rich J

Quote Originally Posted by RichJ View Post
    Just had a pleasant afternoon flying 2 Spits against 3 109s a couple of times in my first use of Herkybirds solo rules. Thanks muchly... However, the only logical explanation for what happened in both sorties is that Mr. B managed to cunningly program the phantom pilots to cheat !
    Well done that man!

Rich J
    It happens all the time.

Underestimate the AI pilots at your peril. They can be a merciless foe.

Thanks Chaps!

It always delights me whenever the solo system gives real players a good testing game. I too have been downed by it and I wrote the flaming thing!

Just a thought, but this is a non-dice game... recommend you keep that thought and perhaps draw damage cards for resolution with your modifications. Should work well and would keep the feel of this game...

Users Country Flag

Name
    Rob
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by COL Ret View Post
    Just a thought, but this is a non-dice game... recommend you keep that thought and perhaps draw damage cards for resolution with your modifications. Should work well and would keep the feel of this game...
    I used playing cards instead of dice. It worked fine.

Welcome to the Drome Wayne! Browse around and enjoy.

Welcome from the U.K. Wayne.
    Don't forget to sign on in the Report for Duty Forum. It will give more of the pilots the chance to know you are on the Drome.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Thanks Rob. Appreciate the welcome. Have always enjoyed working with the Brits. Was just in Europe on holiday last summer. Germany (Berlin and a dozen small villages), Czech Republic (Prague), Belgium and France (Normandy). Didn't make it across the channel. I spent about 6-8 weeks on the road sight seeing and nosing around game stores. I've been to Europe numerous times but not used all my resources to plan for a game. What's one more small bag? I was in Prague at the right time but clueless about last years event there. Next time I head that way I'll ask in the forums about tournaments before I plan a trip. The Aerodrome and the great people I've found here should make my next trip out that way even more pleasurable. Again, nice meeting you. Cheers!

Thank's Captain Chum...if you ever make it to north Texas, I'll hook you up with a great place to game... Cheers!

Thanks Rob. Appreciate the welcome. Have always enjoyed working with the Brits. Was just in Europe on holiday last summer. Germany (Berlin and a dozen small villages), Czech Republic (Prague), Belgium and France (Normandy). Didn't make it across the channel. I spent about 6-8 weeks on the road sight seeing and nosing around game stores. I've been to Europe numerous times but not used all my resources to plan for a game. What's one more small bag? I was in Prague at the right time but clueless about last years event there. Next time I head that way I'll ask in the forums about tournaments before I plan a trip. The Aerodrome and the great people I've found here should make my next trip out that way even more pleasurable. Again, nice meeting you. Cheers!
    Nearly got to us down here in Brittany. Maybe next time for a game.
    Paul

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Was just in Europe on holiday last summer. Germany (Berlin and a dozen small villages), Czech Republic (Prague), Belgium and France (Normandy). Didn't make it across the channel. I spent about 6-8 weeks on the road sight seeing and nosing around game stores.
    Now that sounds like a great holiday!

You got it Paul! Thanks much Mate!

Always keen to get chaps from over the pond to join us at an event. Do ask when you next come over Wayne.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Thanks much Rob! I certainly will! Cheers!

Hi Guys!

In case anyone wants to go solo against an Albatross D2, I have done the solo rules for deck 'V', and these can be downloaded from our website at: http://tynesidewargames.co.uk/wowrules.html

Enjoy using them!

If you look up the solo 2nd generation maneuver decks by Blackronin, all plane decks are covered.

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    If you look up the solo 2nd generation maneuver decks by Blackronin, all plane decks are covered.
    Considering you're addressing THE originator of the "Richard Bradley Solo Rules" (that is to say, Richard Bradley himself), I think he is still allowed to create his own.

Oops, didn't know ! Thought I'd try to be helpful but guess stuck both feet in my mouth. Its tough being somewhat new here not knowing all the big guns.
    Where's that rock I can crawl back under?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast