Ares Games
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Solo Rules tested. Downed by an AI pilot.

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    Oops, didn't know ! Thought I'd try to be helpful but guess stuck both feet in my mouth. Its tough being somewhat new here not knowing all the big guns.
    Where's that rock I can crawl back under?
    No big deal, just thought I'd point it out for context.

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    Oops, didn't know ! Thought I'd try to be helpful but guess stuck both feet in my mouth. Its tough being somewhat new here not knowing all the big guns.
    Where's that rock I can crawl back under?
    No way for you to know.

No harm, no foul! -- and COME OUT FROM UNDER THAT ROCK! --Its an easy mistake to make.

I did the original version of the solo rules, which is what the new V deck is added to. Blackronin has done a more detailed version which suits many people, which i totally approve of!
    My version is simpler, and ideal if you want to fight larger sized enemy forces, or as a training program for new players. A lot of people like one or both versions,
    using both together can represent using better and poorer enemy pilots.
    All Blackronin and I want is for players can get a good game without having a real opponent, or to provide an opponent against several players on the same side, which gives this excellent game a completely different play dynamic.

Happy gaming everyone...whichever version(s) you choose to play!

Thanks Richard for the deck update.

Quote Originally Posted by Herkybird View Post
    No harm, no foul! -- and COME OUT FROM UNDER THAT ROCK! --Its an easy mistake to make.

I did the original version of the solo rules, which is what the new V deck is added to. Blackronin has done a more detailed version which suits many people, which i totally approve of!
    My version is simpler, and ideal if you want to fight larger sized enemy forces, or as a training program for new players. A lot of people like one or both versions,
    using both together can represent using better and poorer enemy pilots.
    All Blackronin and I want is for players can get a good game without having a real opponent, or to provide an opponent against several players on the same side, which gives this excellent game a completely different play dynamic.

Happy gaming everyone...whichever version(s) you choose to play!
    Thanks for your efforts I use your work all the time. I usually run 4 to 6 enemy to 3 to 4 friendly. Granted it is not perfect but, it is great. BZ job well done.

Richard, your solo work is great. This is fantastic for those of us with no local opponents. Thank you for what you have added to the community!

I first saw it when Blackronin was doing his 2nd generation and I did the cad drawing for him. I've only played with 2nd generation so far and plan on using yours in conjunction to get a more varied representation of pilots if I can keep all the paperwork straight!.

I am sure neither Blackronin or myself never expect the solo system to truly replace a real player.The human mind is a very clever thing and is capable of abstract thought. Incidentally, I think your balance of planes is about right for a good game.
    My friends and I use my original rules in our campaign, and find we are unlucky to get killed by our solo opponents, which is good for a campaign, though it does happen - mainly from the BANG result, or 'on fire'.

Historical note: I started doing solo rules as part of my rule systems to get away from opposed games, mainly because one of our group was such a bad loser and got really upset when he lost. He really spoiled our day sometimes! - a solo system seemed the best way to de-stress this situation, and it really seems to work!
    When I had done the very first version of my WofG solo rules, Lawrence (one of my club friends) said I should put them online for other people to use.
    I agreed, thinking its main value would be for the many people who have no easy access to opponents (which seems common in the USA especially) so they could at least get a game out of it!!
    Little did I know what a monster I had created! - its taken on a life of its own which demands my unswerving obedience to keep the beast up to date. I am happy to do it though, as it seems to give pleasure to so many of my fellow gamers.

Be happy!

I for one am eternally in your debt Richard. Your system may not replace a human opponent, but it makes a damn fine substitute, especially with gentle nudging from the player to put the "I" in the A.I. for it from time to time. I find it to be very challenging & engaging, especially in campaign games.

Thank You !

I am always glad people like any of my rules! - One thing I have found is that the solo rules can be improved by very simple modifications.EG: I use a rule where if an AI plane (which is already in a dogfight) is over a foot away from an enemy plane it should not randomly dice for manoeuvres, but should play the manoeuvres needed to get it to face the nose of the nearest enemy plane and close with it. This cuts down on the weaving AI planes can do when inadvertantly flying away from a dogfight.

I have wondered wether to add this and possibly others to my version of the rules, this rule has enhanced the X-Wing solo rules games I have played markedly!

One thing I always do Richard, is if the AI move just looks silly, substitute a half turn (one card) towards the nearest enemy for its first move.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Quote Originally Posted by MoonSylver View Post

I for one am eternally in your debt Richard. Your system may not replace a human opponent, but it makes a damn fine substitute, especially with gentle nudging from the player to put the "I" in the A.I. for it from time to time. I find it to be very challenging & engaging, especially in campaign games.
    I agree with all Rob said above... the solo rules permit consistent play, and were one of the things that brought me back to the game.

Flo

Just played your updated rules with two friends (threee of us vs three of them) and wow all I can say is: Chapeau!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234