Ares Games

Thread: TRIVIA CONTEST #1: RICHTHOFEN

Default TRIVIA CONTEST #1: RICHTHOFEN

I Thought it might be good to start out with one of the most iconic Aces of the genre, Manfred Freiherr Von Richtofen.

1. When and where was Richtofen’s first combat patrol?

2. On Easter Sunday, 1917, in aerial combat against an enemy squadron, one of the opposing pilots had a very similar military background to Richthofen’s. Who was that pilot, how is his military background so similar.

3. What did Richthofen do after each aerial victory (starting with his first) to commemorate that feat? How many times did he do this, when and why did he stop?

4. How many times did Richthofen acquire the actual cloth serial number patches off of the planes he had shot down?

5. What was Richthofens first award for Valor?

6. On more than one occasion Richthofen scored multiple victories on a single day. On what date was he most successful? How many planes did he shoot down on that date?

7. What type (model) enemy airplane did he shoot down most often?

8. On what date was Richthofen first shot down during aerial combat?

9. Richthofen scored several kills while flying in an Albatross D. III. This particular plane had a peculiar problem which almost cost Richrhofen his life. What was that peculiar problem?

10. What erroneous report was made about Richthofen in the Papers in Berlin on 19 October, 1917?

Default SOLUTIONS TO QUIZ ON RICHTHOFN

Well... it's been a long week with no takers on the Quiz, so here are the answers:

1. When and where was Richtofen’s first combat patrol?

-2 Aug, 1914. He crossed the Prosno River near Ostrov into Russian Poland, as a Lt. in a Cavalry Regiment.

2. On Easter Sunday, 1917, in aerial combat against an enemy squadron, one of the opposing pilots had a very similar military background to Richthofen’s. Who was that pilot, how is his military background so similar.

-The pilot Wiiliam A. (Billy) Bishop. Like Richthofen, he started out with a commission in the Cavalry, then became an aerial observer before finally becoming a pilot. He was flying in No. 60 Sqdn when it fought with Jasta 11 on 8 April, 1917. Billy Bishop ended the war with 72 aerial victories.

3. What did Richthofen do after each aerial victory (starting with his first) to commemorate that feat? How many times did he do this, when and why did he stop?

-After each victory, he commissioned a jeweler in Berlin to make him a silver cup (1” across x 2” high) on which he had engraved the Victory No., the type of aircraft shot down, and the date. His last cup was made for victory No. 60. He stopped due to war time shortages of silver.

4. How many times did Richthofen acquire the actual cloth serial number patches off of the planes he had shot down?

-19. 13 of which are verified in pre-WWII photos form his home in Schweidnitz where had them displayed on a wall. 6 others where reported in Nachrichtenblatt and other German documentation.

5. What was Richthofens first award for Valor?

-He was awarded the Eisernes Kreuz II. Klasse (Iron Cross, 2d Class) on 25 Sept. 1914, for actions as in Combat as a Cavalry Officer.

6. On more than one occasion Richthofen scored multiple victories on a single day. On what date was he most successful? How many planes did he shoot down on that date?

-29 April, 1917. He shot down 4 enemy planes.

7. What type (model) enemy airplane did he shoot down most often?

-F.E.2b He shot down 12 of these.

8. On what date was Richthofen first shot down during aerial combat?

-9 March, 1917. Richthofen was shot down while closing in to fire on a group of F.E.2bs, when his plane was hit by fire from an enemy plane. His engine was knocked out, and he was forced to the ground. He took off in another plane late that day, and scored his 25th Victory.

9. Richthofen scored several kills while flying in an Albatross D. III. This particular plane had a peculiar problem which almost cost Richrhofen his life. What was that peculiar problem?

-The Albatross D.III had problem with one of it’s wings breaking off during flight. On 23 Jan. 1917, two pilots were killed due to this in separate incidents. On the next day, Richthofen was forced to make an emergency land when one of his wings cracked during flight.

10. What erroneous report was made about Richthofen in the Papers in Berlin on 19 October, 1917?

-It was reported that Richthofen had gotten Married. (actually, Richthofen had merely attended a wedding of his friend Hptmn Freitz Prestien on 18 Oct. but a confused journalist had reported that it was Richthofen whom had wed.

Hello,

I think that this type of quiz is very interesting.

Sorry, but I did not see this thread otherwise I had answer some of the questions.

Awaiting for the next quiz.

My sincerely regards

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Lopes View Post
    Hello,

I think that this type of quiz is very interesting.

Sorry, but I did not see this thread otherwise I had answer some of the questions.

Awaiting for the next quiz.

My sincerely regards
    Carlos,

Sorry you missed this one. It appeared that there where no takers, so I provided the answers.

Hopefully someone else will offer the next set of questions, if not, then I have a few on a different subject or two I'm willing to throw out here.

Interesting facts..

I'd be more interested in a trivia about planes though since I know a bit more about that :P

Quote Originally Posted by Seiseki View Post
    Interesting facts..

I'd be more interested in a trivia about planes though since I know a bit more about that :P
    If you can come up with a list of questions, all specific to planes, submit them. The questions aren't limited to be just about pilots. I'm thinking about working up a list of questions about Zeppelins.

I think I needed easier questions.

Here are some that I might get right:

How many wings does a biplane have?

What year did WWI start?

What is the spinning thing that is attached to the engine?

What did they call the ditch-like positions that were the front line up and down the Western Front?

What year did WWI end?

Yup, these are questions I can get right ... if I do a little research and think on it.

Bring on the next quiz!

The next list of questions have been posted:

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/showthread.php?t=674

And they all have pictures!!!!

Similar Missions

1. TRIVIA/QUIZ CONTEST
    By usmc1855 in forum Trivia Quizzes
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-18-2013, 01:57
  2. Repaint Contest - VOTE -
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Past Contests
    Replies: 44