Ares Games

Thread: WWI Movies

Talking WWI Movies

Lets collect all WWI movies available on DVD in this thread.

So far i know of and own:

Aces High
    Wings
    The Blue Max
    Flyboys
    Hell's Angels
    The Red Baron
    Westfront 1918
    Shock Troop (Stoßtrupp 1917)
    All Quiet on the Western Front original and remake
    The Trench
    Beneath Hill 60
    Passchendaele
    A Very Long Engagement
    Company K

If you know more then please post them here

Isn't Gary Cooper's "Sgt. York" WWI.

The Lost Battalion
    Sergeant York for von Klauser
    Gallipoli
    Lawrence of Arabia
    The Fighting 69th

Here is a link to Belle & Blade.
    I have dealt with these guys at conventions. Good bunch of guys.
    There is a long list under the WWI section
    http://www.warshows.com/StoreFront.bok
    Last edited by Tommy Z; 09-23-2011 at 20:38. Reason: added another

Exclamation

There is also a British one called "All the Kings Men" about a regiment raised from the Ground Staff of King George's country Estate who fought at Gallipoli.
    The story has been embellished but it is based on fact but the result was not as dire as shown in the movie.

You are also missing "Dawn Patrol" & "the Eagle & the Hawk"

Red face

Sheesh! I forgot to list "the Light Horsemen" & "Gallipoli" which I have in my Library & as both are Aussie Movies I need another good "wack"

There is My Boy Jack starring Daniel Radcliffe from the Harry Potter movies.

"Shout at the Devil" and "What Price Glory", as well. And another one with Kirk Douglas as a French army officer defending some of his men against a charge of cowardice in the face of the enemy.

"Gunbus" the (crazy) movie. I don't recommend it...

The Kirk Douglas one is Paths of Glory excellent film,as are most of the others listed

The Big Parade (1925)
    Fraulein Doktor (1969)
    Darling Lili (1970)
    Zeppelin (1971)

I see there are alot of movies i have to get yet

Arkturus88

The Great War (Monicelli, 1959)
    Paths of Glory (Kubrick, 1957)

Der brave Soldat Schwejk.

With Heinz Rühmann (1960) DE

Oh what a lovely war ....I know but I do like it.

lysander

Here is a good list of WWI movies.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Brian (Grey)
    Sorties Flown

"Joyeux Noël" should be in every collection.

Is the African Queen set during WW1?

Lost Battalion
    Legends of the Fall
    King & Country.

There's a good list on Wikipedia as well with details.

Un long dimanche de fiançailles (A very Long Engagement) (2004)

Biggles
    Sucker Punch (bits of, anyway)

:happy:

Several episodes in the 'Young Indiana Jones' series.

Marš na Drinu / Марш на Дрину / March to Drina
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRy6opiYnao (part)

Sveti Georgije ubiva aždahu / Свети Георгије убива аждаху / Saint George slaying the Dragon

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Wilco View Post
    Is the African Queen set during WW1?
    Yes it is Trev.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Users Country Flag

Blog Entries
    Name
    Barry
    Sorties Flown

I would nominate Paths of Glory (Kirk Douglas) as one of the best war films ever made.

There are two versions of 'All Quiet on the Western Front", the re-make has 'John Boy' from the Waltons and Ernest Borgnine in it and is surprisingly good.

Has anyone mentioned Flyboys? The combat sequences were quite good although the aircraft types were limited - Nieuports v Fokker Dr1s for some strange reason!

"La grande Illusion", a french movie that focuses on p.o.w.s and their escape from a camp in Germany.

Thumbs up

I dont think anyone has mentioned "Angels Wing" a French WW1 aero movie very loosely based on Georges Guynemer.
    Terrible sub titles but good aero sequences & actual aircraft.
    Last edited by gully_raker; 09-17-2014 at 02:51.

Quote Originally Posted by 'Warspite' View Post
    I would nominate Paths of Glory (Kirk Douglas) as one of the best war films ever made.

There are two versions of 'All Quiet on the Western Front", the re-make has 'John Boy' from the Waltons and Ernest Borgnine in it and is surprisingly good.

Has anyone mentioned Flyboys? The combat sequences were quite good although the aircraft types were limited - Nieuports v Fokker Dr1s for some strange reason!
    I agree Paths of Glory is an excellent film with a message just as relevant today as when it first came out and All Quiet is, also, very good.
    But although Flyboys is good fun, the acting is nowhere near as good. Oddly, not only are the aircraft types limited but it's all done CGI and it feels like an extended video game. What's worse is they've modelled the flight characteristics of the planes on the SE5a - so in the movie the Fokker Dr1s and Nieuport 28's both do crazily steep dives and boom and zoom across the skies. The bombing raid by the HP/400 bombers is done well but this may be because it's almost a copy of the raid from Hell's Angels.

Users Country Flag

Blog Entries
    Name
    Barry
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Nicola Zee View Post
    I agree Paths of Glory is an excellent film with a message just as relevant today as when it first came out
    Thank you!

Legionnaire. Not exactly WW1, but close.

I just watched "Aces High". I'd never heard of this film before. The best part about it was the EIII ! No CGI! I thought the combat scenes were pretty good.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by nikiMcBee View Post
    I just watched "Aces High". I'd never heard of this film before. The best part about it was the EIII ! No CGI! I thought the combat scenes were pretty good.
    G'day Jason!
    If you want E.III's (Plus BE 2's) & no CGI rush over to Amazon & grab the box set of "Wings" the BBC production (2 seasons) from the 1970's
    Also features a Pup & a German 2 seater. Bet you will love it. Also features Captain Triggers who also stars in my Hearts of Oak Camel Squadron AAR's.
    Last edited by gully_raker; 09-18-2014 at 18:21.

CGI had not been invented when they made 'Aces High'.

I really liked 'Wings' and I wondered what happened to the characters next. Did he become your squadron leader, Barry? I have the dvd boxed set but I am hoping that the BBC might repeat it as part of the WW1 commemorations some time in the next four years. The series provided some insights into how war flying developed.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    CGI had not been invented when they made 'Aces High'.

I really liked 'Wings' and I wondered what happened to the characters next. Did he become your squadron leader, Barry? I have the dvd boxed set but I am hoping that the BBC might repeat it as part of the WW1 commemorations some time in the next four years. The series provided some insights into how war flying developed.
    G'day David!
    It was a real shame the Beeb did not proceed with the third series. I corresponded with one of the writers on the Aerodrome Historical Forum & they had good plans for a third when C flight were going to get Pups.
    Yes I used Capt. Triggers as the Flight Commander of my "Hearts of Oak" Squadron (& sent him to the RNAS)
    There are many AAR's of his & the Squadrons activities in my early AAR's if you feel inclined to look for them. He even made some guest appearances in some of Rob's (F/O Kytes) AAR's as well.

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    G'day Jason!
    If you want E.III's (Plus BE 2's) & no CGI rush over to Amazon & grab the box set of "Wings" the BBC production (2 seasons) from the 1970's
    Also features a Pup & a German 2 seater. Bet you will love it. Also features Captain Triggers who also stars in my Hearts of Oak Camel Squadron AAR's.
    Looking into it now. Thanks for the heads up.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wings_(BBC_TV_series)

Update...youtube appears to have all of the episodes.
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...f2s_S0wHcG0KaZ

You are correct!
    I cut to the chase and checked out the " Dawn Attack" episode, and there are EIIIs within the first 10 seconds of the start!

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by nikiMcBee View Post
    You are correct!
    I cut to the chase and checked out the " Dawn Attack" episode, and there are EIIIs within the first 10 seconds of the start!
    Lots of E.III's in lots of episodes.

Private Peaceful- another film based on a book by Michael Morpurgo, who wrote 'Warhorse'.

'The First Great Escape'.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Thierry
    Sorties Flown

Nobody mentioned "Les croix de bois" ?

A french movie from 1931, recently restored. If you can read french, it worse read the french article on wikipedia.

My mother used to tell me that some combat scenes seen in some WWI reportage were taken from "Les croix de bois". I have to say that she's probably right, as the movie is pretty disturbing by the crude violence of some scenes, especially for a 1932 movie. Nothing gore or else, but the raw violence of the explosions...

Anyway. A must see.

And what about the comics ? Tardi made some very well documented comics about WWI. Politically engaged against politics, high ranked soldier (close to a "Path to Glory" in mind), police... well, everything with some power in hands
    And of course Corto Maltese!

Users Country Flag

Name
    Thierry
    Sorties Flown

Capitaine Conan, from Bertrand Tavernier...