Ares Games

View Poll Results: Which miniature would you like to have the most?

Voters
239. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1. B-24 Liberator

59 24.69%
  • 2. B-17 Flying Fortress

117 48.95%
  • 3. B-25 Mitchell

53 22.18%
  • 4. B-29 Super Fortress

10 4.18%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WWII: Which US Bomber would you most like to have as a miniature?

The B-25 is my favourite twin-engine aircraft after the Gotha. If they came out, I'd definatley start the WW2 version of the game.

I chose the B17 because my Grandpa accidentally took off the wing of one when attempting to refuel it...o.0

HansK

B-17 without a doubt. The most iconic bomber of WWII!

Although the B-24 did sterling service... (hmmm, Sterling...RAF?) too.

B-25. It has something to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Qwibqwib View Post
    I chose the B17 because my Grandpa accidentally took off the wing of one when attempting to refuel it...o.0
    You can't do that Q! You have to tell us the rest of the story now, pull up a pint, have one of Kytes rolled up pieces of newspaper full of lawn clippings and cough it up.

I'd go for the B-17 simply because it served in such numbers for so long.

Always liked the Bomber movies of the 1950's, and 12 o'clock high in the 60's. I'm always amazed at how many B-17 were patchwork rebuilds with parts of other bombers that survived to fly home, but never left the ground again as a complete bomber.

B-29's had too many mechanical problems.

James

I favored the B-25 since it was used in both theatres and the Doolittle Raid was so bold that a scenario would be fun. The plane that I thought should also be included was the B-26, since D-Day would probably not have succeeded without all the damage caused by the B-26s (or A-20s for those across the pond) to rail and road transit prior to 6Jun44. The B-26 would also lend itself to multiple paint schemes and would also play well in both theatres.

HEHEHE! My grandfather served in the Navy, he was a (chief?) petty officer. He was stationed in New York, and his job was to drive one of the refueling trucks at the airfield. OK, so my granpop and his crew were taking a break in the club after a long day of refueling aircraft being ferried from the west coast factories to the British Islands. He was pretty drunk when a call came on the phone in the bar. The caller was his commander, and he was saying that there were some stragglers coming in which would need to be refueled. Everyone jumped up and ran out to get ready. Since it was so dark, and he was probably seeing double what from all the beers, he prolly shouldn't have gotten behind the wheel. Sooooo, to make a long story shorter, Vroooom! Vrooom! Screeeeeetch! BANG! he hit the wing of a parked B-17 just on the inboard side of the outer port side engine nacelle (engine 4?). It tore about 50% of that wing clean off. My Grandma told me the story, so it is second hand. She told me she was having second thoughts about marrying this young rebel rouser! They were practically newly weds! They had been on post together for only a few months when this happened! He died when I was young, but I would have loved to hear him tell the story. My uncles tell me he was ashamed of this story, and only started telling it when he was in his last years. (oh, and my Dad denys the story and tells me it is false). My other Grandfather was a chaplain in the big red one! My Dad served in the Air Force. I have 5 uncles and 4 of them served, two in the navy, one marine, and one was a door gunner in a slick in Vietnam and was KIA (RIP Steve!). I was 11BC2, 10th Mountain division, and I was also stationed in New York. Climb to Glory!
    Last edited by Qwibqwib; 03-15-2012 at 20:17. Reason: sorry for all the edits, I am remembering stuff as I re-read it! LOL! I

I like the B-17... but I have a 1/200 B-29 (The Enola Gay) and can get another one if I need it.. or if someone wanted one.. I could get it for them.. My FLGS has one for sale..

Quote Originally Posted by rote Flügel View Post
    I like the B-17... but I have a 1/200 B-29 (The Enola Gay) and can get another one if I need it.. or if someone wanted one.. I could get it for them.. My FLGS has one for sale..
    Try Boxcar thats the Nagasaki plane.

From a gaming point of view (mine) a B25 would be best for all the reasons stated, but first I am going to get an AIM B29 I just love that aircraft a giant leap ahead of its time and from what I have read bloody effective.
    Last edited by Doug; 03-16-2012 at 02:43.

Any thing with a B and a Number

First pick: B-25 -- G or H model....

Second pick: B-17 -- "Old 666" mod....

>:)

As a former member of the 509th Bomb Wing (the descendants of the 509th Composite Group), my mouse hovered over the B-29 button for quite a while, but - as others have mentioned - the B-17 is just too iconic an airplane.

Quote Originally Posted by Gravitypool View Post
    I felt bad for having to choose on this one ŹŹ
    I am with ya on this one! I want all of the above! Guess I am a greedy bastard! lol

Would love to see them all. Seeing as the B-25 is mst likely coming out the second alf of this year, and I am very excited for it by the way, I picked the B-17. If I could only have one type of four engine bomber that would be my pick and hope.

Default B-17 is a winner, but which version/s do we want?

It appears from the poll that the B-17 is the audience favourite. I thought I might contribute to the discussion by posing the question - "What model B-17 should we choose?"

The operational versions are listed below:

B-17B - 39 produced, in service from 27 June 1939
    Armament: One .30-cal. and six .50-cal.) machine guns and four 1,100-lb. bombs
    Engines: Four Wright R-1820-51 turbo-supercharged radials of 1,000 hp each
    Maximum speed: 292 mph at 25,000 ft.
    Cruising speed: 181 mph
    Service ceiling: 36,000 ft.
    Range: 3,600 miles (maximum ferry range)

The Boeing B-17B was an improved version of the B-17A. The major changes in the B model included a larger rudder, a larger set of flaps and a redesigned nose. The nose-mounted turret was replaced by a Plexiglas nose making the B-17B about seven inches shorter than the A. The Army Air Corps ordered 39 B-17Bs in 1938-1939. In October 1942 the B-17Bs were redesignated as RB-17B (R for restricted). These aircraft were used for non-combat training, transport, messenger and liaison duties.

VERDICT: Too few produced, not enough combat service, not a good choice.

B-17C - 38 produced, in service from 21 July 1940
    Armament: One .30-cal. and six .50-cal. machine guns and 4,800 lbs. of bombs
    Engines: Four Wright R-1820-65 turbo-supercharged radials of 1,200 hp each
    Maximum speed: 323 mph at 25,000 ft.
    Cruising speed: 227 mph
    Service ceiling: 37,000 ft.
    Range: 3,400 miles (maximum ferry range)

The Army Air Corps ordered 38 improved B-17Bs as B-17C in 1940. The B-17C changed from 1,000-hp to 1,200-hp Wright R-1820-65 radial engines. Flat sliding gun panels were installed instead of waist gun blisters, providing greater crew safety and cleaner design. The ventral gun blister was replaced by a "bathtub" turret also.

Twenty B-17Cs were transferred to the RAF (Fortress I), which used them during the early stages of World War II. The remaining 18 C models were modified to the D model configuration and became second line RB-17Ds late in their service lives.

VERDICT: On a positive note the B-17C saw RAF service, but it was not a success and eight of the 20 were lost after only a short period on bomber operations. The rest were transferred to Coastal Command where they had some success on anti-U Boat operations. The USAAC 19th Bombardment Group used the B-17C in the Phillipines but most were destroyed on the ground on 8 December 1941. But like the B-17B too few were produced and their combat service was limited, also not a good choice.

B-17D - 42 produced, in service from 3 February 1941
    Armament: One .30-cal. and six .50-cal. machine guns and 4,800 lbs. of bombs
    Engines: Four Wright R-1820-65 turbo-supercharged radials of 1,200 hp each
    Maximum speed: 323 mph at 25,000 ft.
    Cruising speed: 227 mph
    Service ceiling: 37,000 ft.
    Range: 3,400 miles (maximum ferry range)

The B-17D was an improved version of the B-17C. Changes included an improved electrical system, more extensive armor plating, self-sealing fuel tanks, and cowl flaps. One of the only external differences, and the easiest way to distinguish between the C and D, was the cowl flaps present on the B-17D.

A flight of US Army Air Corps B-17s en route to Hawaii on Dec. 7, 1941, were assumed to be the large formation of aircraft tracked on radar early that Sunday morning. This formation turned out to be the carrier-based attack and fighter aircraft of Japan. The B-17s arrived later in the day and became the first B-17s to see combat in the Pacific Theater of Operations during World War II.

VERDICT: Like the preceding models, too few produced and limited combat service. Again, not a good choice.

B-17E - 512 produced, in service from 5 September 1941
    Armament: One .30-cal. and eight .50-cal. machine guns and 4,200 lbs. of bombs
    Engines: Four Wright R-1820-65 turbo-supercharged radials of 1200 hp each
    Maximum speed: 317 mph at 25,000 ft.
    Cruising speed: 226 mph
    Service ceiling: 36,000 ft.
    Range: 3,200 miles (maximum ferry range)

The Boeing B-17E was an extensively modified and improved version of the basic B-17D design. The most obvious change was the redesigned tail with its distinctive vertical stabilizer and fairing. A tail gunner was added because combat experience showed the earlier models extremely vulnerable to attack from directly aft. The waist gunner windows were changed from teardrop to larger rectangular shaped windows. The ventral "bathtub" turret of the D model was initially replaced by a Bendix remote-controlled and remote-sighted belly turret. The Bendix turret was replaced by a Sperry ball turret starting with the 113th B-17E built. A Bendix turret also was added to the top forward fuselage just behind the cockpit.

A total of 512 B-17Es were built by Boeing in 1941 and 1942. The basic E model design was constantly being modified to incorporate needed improvements pointed out, in part, by combat crews whose lives depended on the aircraft. The first Army Air Force bombing mission in Europe was carried out by B-17Es of the 97th Bomb Group against the Rouen-Sotteville railroad marshalling yards in France on August 17, 1942.

VERDICT: Now we are talking. The B-17E was the first model built in reasonable numbers, and was involved in the first phase of the USAAF daylight bombing campaign over occupied Europe. A small number of B-17E models were also provided to RAF Coastal Command. But is it the version most players want in their inventory?

B-17F - 3,405 produced, in service from 30 May 1942.
    Armament: 11 .50-cal. machine guns and 8,000 lbs. of bombs
    Engines: Four Wright R-1820-97 turbo-supercharged radials of 1200 hp each
    Maximum speed: 325 mph at 25,000 ft.
    Cruising speed: 160 mph at 5,000 ft.
    Service ceiling: 37,500 ft.
    Range: 2,800 miles (maximum ferry range)

The B-17F was essentially a production version of the B-17E after all the improvements and modifications were incorporated into the design. The defensive armament was increased to 11 .50-cal. machine guns including increased frontal protection in the form of cheek guns. More powerful engines and improved propellers allowed for a maximum bomb load of 8,000 pounds. The B-17F could carry almost double the bomb load of any previous version, but the normal cruise speed dropped by almost 70 mph due to a large increase in aircraft gross weight.

Like the B-17E, combat experience pointed out problems with B-17F design, which were rapidly fixed during the production run. Major improvements done while the B-17F was in production included the addition of external bomb racks, cheek guns (initially a mod center improvement), and the Bendix chin turret which became a standard on the B-17G.

VERDICT: The B-17F bore the brunt of the VIII Bomber Command (later Eighth Air Force) daylight bombing offensive from mid 1942 to late 1943. The iconic Memphis Belle is a B-17F, the first aircraft to survive 25 missions over Europe. In late 1942 two groups equipped with the B-17F moved to Algeria to join Twelfth Air Force for operations in North Africa. Like the B-17E, a small number were also provided to RAF Coastal Command. This version is a front runner as a candidate for inclusion as a WGS miniature - 1942+ combat service in Europe, North Africa and the North Atlantic with the USAAF and RAF, a large production run and iconic examples.

B-17G - 8,680 produced, in service July 1943.
    Armament: 11 .50-cal. machine guns and 8,000 lbs. of bombs
    Engines: Four Wright R-1820-97 turbo-supercharged radials of 1200 hp each
    Maximum speed: 325 mph at 25,000 ft.
    Cruising speed: 160 mph at 5,000 ft.
    Service ceiling: 37,500 ft.
    Range: 2,800 miles (maximum ferry range)

The B-17G was the result of an almost continuous improvement program of earlier B-17 models. The G model was basically the production version of the B-17F after the modifications and improvements were incorporated into the design. Although the Bendix chin turret is the most obvious improvement incorporated into the B-17G, it was actually first used on late model B-17Fs.

VERDICT: The B-17G was the final WW2 production version and produced in the greatest numbers. However, it only saw service over Europe from late 1943 which puts it out of the picture for historical scenarios for the first year of the European daylight bombing campaign - the raids on the U-Boat pens on the French coast, Wilhelmshafen boat yards, even Schweinfurt & Regensburg in 1943. Despite this the B-17G is likely to be a player favourite.

SUMMARY
    The choice would have to be one of the later models of B-17, either the B-17E, B-17F or B-17G. Given the similarities in the outward appearance of the models, Ares could produce a two bomber set with one B-17E and one B-17F, or a later B-17F with chin turret and a B-17G. Given the earlier service history I personally would prefer the choice of a B-17F. Regarding individual aircraft I don't think you could go past the B-17F Memphis Belle of the 324th Bomb Squadron, 91st Bomb Group.

Green Goblin's Avatar Mess Hall Attendant
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Dave
    Sorties Flown

B-17, Love this plane - love the varied gun positions especially the waist and belly guns

As much as I love the B 17, I had to go with the B 24. It didn't have the same glamor as the 17, but did yeoman's work!

The B-24!!!! There were more of them, they had greater range and a heavier bomb load than the B-17. It was prefered for ASW work in the Atlantic and all bomb missions in the Pacific because of its range.
    Besides, my Grandparents built them at Willow Run and one of my Mother's cousins flew them in China. The B-24 is sort of like a family member to me.

Well, now the B-25 is available.
    B-17 could then follow. It is the second most popular choice of the poll.

Oh yeah, WoW stands for sure since I too have a bunch of 1/144 plastic. Lloyd
    Quote Originally Posted by Propjockey53 View Post
    I have all of these in 1/144 scale plastic. I need the WoW stands for them now...HINT HINT!!

None of these. I'd like an A26

Quote Originally Posted by Angiolillo View Post
    Well, now the B-25 is available.
    B-17 could then follow. It is the second most popular choice of the poll.
    We need the matching birds to intercept the fortresses first.

This is an impossible choice! The B29 could be left off, even though it was probably the best bomber of the war. The B24/17 were the real strategic workhorses of the war. A plane that isn't on this list is the A20, not to forget the B26 either. Both planes deserve inclusion. Lloyd

Quote Originally Posted by Lloydthegamer View Post
    This is an impossible choice! The B29 could be left off, even though it was probably the best bomber of the war. The B24/17 were the real strategic workhorses of the war. A plane that isn't on this list is the A20, not to forget the B26 either. Both planes deserve inclusion. Lloyd
    The B26 has similar performance to the Ju88, which is a little quick for the XB deck. But the Douglas A20 is very similar in speed and maneuverability to the Messerschmitt Bf110, so we may be able to use the M deck for that aircraft.

I like it, two birds with one deck! Lloyd
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl_Brisgamer View Post
    But the Douglas A20 is very similar in speed and maneuverability to the Messerschmitt Bf110, so we may be able to use the M deck for that aircraft.

And since the US used Bristol Beaufighters, and we're getting an Official Mini.... >:)

B-17 E.F or G no matters which one will be produced. The most important thing is that Ares must produce axis planes (which one?) to stop it!!!

Marco

b-17b, b-17d, b-17e (which im surprised ares didnt make 1st) thought i wouldnt mind a b-29

Users Country Flag

Name
    Mark Duncan
    Sorties Flown

1. B-17
    2. B-24

B 24, doesn't get the glamor/credit as the B 17. (over 18000 made vs 12500+)

B-24 for me. Im a BIG fan of it and I dont like too much the B-29. I already have an Ares B-25 and one 1/144 B-17 (and they are going to be released) so B-24 for me.

I've voted for B-25 (although already relesed). I see it as working mule over all fronts of WW2.

B 24 for me now. I have always liked the Liberator, and reading more about it I have revised my opinion.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Looks like a job for either Kickstarter or Ghostbusters . Of the four, the Liberator is the only one I would consider. Even that has appeared in a number of forms (Comet kit, Wiking, Hauk, HBM, Schultz, Helmet, Konishi, AIM, etc.) but there is room for a moderately priced, finished, accurate (eg,Ares) miniature.

Ron

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

I have just voted for the Boeing B-29A Superfortress ... This aircraft would look superb if Ares Games was ever to release it as an Official Miniature. My second choice from that list would be the Consolidated B-24 Liberator which would again make an awesome Official Miniature for WGS.

I would like to see Ares Games develop the range of Medium and Heavy Bombers which are available for WGS now that they have gone ahead and released the NA B-25 Mitchell and the Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress. Until then WGS was very much about the world of the World War 2 fighter making the development and release of bombers for the game quite a ground-breaker when they first appeared.

The B-29 is a core model for WWII Pacific and Korean scenarios. Like the B-17, the B-29 has been done well in 1/200 many times going back to its appearance in 1944 as a Luftwaffe ID model by Wiking. I did not suggest it as an Ares release because there are already available at least 3 good B-29's. The reworked HBM B-29 by AIM is an inexpensive kit. The finished pair of diecast B-29's by Postage Stamp/ModelPower/Deagostini are very modestly priced and ready to fly. At the high end is the lost wax brass B-29 by Konishi. Amercom has a "Washington" British version as well.

The B-26 Marauder would probably have the highest potential for Ares, as there are presently no competing modestly priced finished Marauders.

Ron

B-17 C I could cope with

B-24 for me.
    B-29 would be too big methinks, and the other two are already released.

I chose the B-24 as I already have 2 each of the B-17's and B-25's.

B17G but I too would love to see a game with old 666 vs 10 zeroes. 1 stupidly overgunned B17 vs 10+ zeroes and an odd betty..... worth a giggle or two

Don't know how I missed this when it was started but I have the official minis, B17 & B-25. Now have 4 AIM B-24's and 3 B-29's.

Would be the Marauder for me.

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

B25, just liked the one at the museum down the road from Origins.
    See you on the Dark Side......

Quote Originally Posted by Skafloc View Post
    B25, just liked the one at the museum down the road from Origins.
    Don't we already have two B25?
    Shirley you meant B24

Was it Jimmy Stewart who flew B-24's?

Great actor...Great aircraft.

A B-24J would be fantastic. Many great options for nose art.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Missions

1. Replies: 81
    Last Post: 11-20-2019, 16:45
  2. Replies: 116
    Last Post: 09-10-2018, 14:45
  3. Replies: 55
    Last Post: 03-08-2018, 13:17
  4. Replies: 53
    Last Post: 02-12-2018, 01:48
  5. Replies: 44
    Last Post: 12-24-2017, 16:22