Ares Games
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Ares offerings!

Default New Ares offerings!

Has anyone seen the new pre-orders on FRP Games website?

They list a two plane set of Albatros vs Spad and Fokker vs Sopwith Camel.
    Also listed are three versions each of Albatros D.Va, Fokker Dr.I, Sopwith Camel and Spad XIII.
    Optimistically, they give Nov as the release date.

Maybe a Dr.I that I can afford.

You are correct Bill. Here's the link.

http://www.frpgames.com/cart.php?ski...wings+of+glory

I wonder if the VERSUS packages will be one of each of the aformentioned skins????

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that my son will have a MvR waiting under the tree for Christmas!

The dual packs appears to be the 4 a/c from the Deluxe edition. I'll finally be able to pick them up.

Appears the November releases are two pairs of aircraft from the old Deluxe set, and the 12 aircraft of series one again. Should make for a fun christmas if it all arrives on schedule.

SPAD XIII, Luke, Rickenbacker, Madon, Coadou

Albatros D.Va, Baumer, Udet, von Hippel, Jacobs

Fokker DR.I, MvR, LvR, Kirschstein

Sopwith Camel, Brown, Stackard, Barker, Ellwood

So not quite the original set of pilots, no pics of the 12 yet, so hoping for some new paint-jobs as well.

Now based on the last year of deliveries; I will start the pool on this release as the Ides of March 2013 (I know, too optimistic).
    Last edited by wargamer; 08-17-2012 at 11:37.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by wargamer View Post
    no pics of the 12 yet, so hoping for some new paint-jobs as well.
    Looks like 7 new paint jobs, 5 original Series 1 reprints, and the 4 from the newer deluxe set back. The original (ie. Nexus, before it all went to pieces) plan for this Series 1 reprint was to keep the most popular paint scheme for each plane, and replace the other two. From the looks of it that's what's happening, with the exception of the Camel, where it appears good sense has prevailed and they're keeping both Barker and Elwood, instead of replacing the Barker one with Kissenberth as was originally planned.

As for specifics, most of the "new" pilots listed had lengthy careers and several differently marked aircraft over the course of them, but if I had to guess which ones we'll get, I'd suspect:

Madon: http://i41.tinypic.com/104px8w.jpg
    Coadou: http://lh4.ggpht.com/_t4XK4mrLfqQ/Sr...wPEE/spad1.JPG

Von Hippel: http://www.letletlet-warplanes.com/w...01-300x225.jpg
    Jacobs: http://www.wwiaviation.com/drawings/...cobs-600px.png

Kirchstein: http://i.ytimg.com/vi/pnndm93kPQ4/0.jpg
    Lothar von R: http://www.ipmsstockholm.org/magazin...ker_dr1_01.jpg

Stackard: http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/att...0&d=1315449319 (Hopefully in the right colours - no red on the circle markings....)

Overall a good selection for those who want something a bit different, but not the best of news for us repainters, although we can at least be grateful for getting Barker back rather than Kissenberth....
    Last edited by Dom S; 08-17-2012 at 11:51.

Yes Sir.
    Only seven new planes to buy plus a few for repaints is doable even on my pension. Splitting up the sets is also a good idea. I'm beginning to like this company's style.
    Rob.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

I'm still reserving judgement - much of this was the plan under Nexus anyway (although killing the Kissenberth model seems a very good call - that one was just begging to gather dust on FLGS shelves....) With "est. November 2012" and the continuing slowness getting to market, especially outside of the USA, I'm guessing it could end up make or break whether they actually manage to get them to customers this side of Christmas or not - crossing all my fingers already....

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

(I do *really* like the "duel" starter packs idea though - much more accessible than a fifty quid box, which can only help actually get some new blood into the game, after it's been very hard for a newcomer to get started for far too long. Those really do look a cracking idea.... )

No more Kissenberth? Hurrah! The people have spoken!!!

Looks like I'll have to shut down the Wunderhaus....at least for the series 1 stuff.

I was hoping they would put all of the planes out in starter pack pairs. But either way I am looking forward to some new planes! As Dom said, I'm liking Ares style. I hope the release schedules will become more regular with experience however.

Quote Originally Posted by Willi Von Klugermann View Post
    Looks like I'll have to shut down the Wunderhaus....at least for the series 1 stuff.

There will be another shortage after this one. Hang on to your planes.

Quote Originally Posted by Willi Von Klugermann View Post
    I don't see what you're talking about -- not on any of the three pages.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post
    I don't see what you're talking about -- not on any of the three pages.
    You might want to take another look at the last 14 items on page three then....

Personally I predict that the pair's are going to be popular especially with the new gamer's and me, so I got to pre-order to get mine.

Now this looks nice indeed.
    Like the idea of the "Dogfight doubles" as it were although dont think Ill be getting one as I already have all these aircraft as well as markers etc, if they are still releasing the new box set?
    As for the re-release of the Series one + huzzah, although I have already painted some Ill get them and redo my repaints.
    If they make it for Xmas we hopefully will see the Obersts Decals for Jasta 5 & re-done RNAS 9

Fantastic! I am pumped about the new paint schemes!

The duel packs are a great idea indeed. A great gift to someone you want to infect with the WGF-bug, as a price at gaming convention, etc.

/Niclas

Outstanding!!!! Time to get a second storage hanger prepped.
    I hope that the bumps are out of production/shipping and they can get to the point where items are coming out ina regular fashion and close to anticipated dates. I have a good gut feeling about Ares getting things in order and taking care of us customers.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom S View Post
    You might want to take another look at the last 14 items on page three then....
    OK -- the duel packs weren't showing up yesterday; I could see the pre-orders for the reprints, tho'.

WOW this is great news. Lets see Nov release. Gives me time to save up for them.

It will be interesting to see what they do with Series 2-4. Perhaps no Snipes or two-seaters?

Quote Originally Posted by Coog View Post
    It will be interesting to see what they do with Series 2-4. Perhaps no Snipes or two-seaters?
    Hopefully the Snipe will only ever reappear in a duel 2-pack. They are separating the 2 seaters from the scouts in future releases as well.

That leaves just the Fokker DVII from the second series, so I'm guessing they'll merge the Albatros Diii & Nieuport from the third series, and maybe the SE5 from the fourth to round it out, though they might want to put some *new* scouts in there as well.

What is the problem with the Snipes? And the two seaters?

Quote Originally Posted by Blackronin View Post
    Sloooow sellers. 2 seaters are just not as popular as scouts, and the Snipe is not very popular due to its only appearing on the front in the last month of the war, and being very limited in historically diverse & attractive schemes.

Quote Originally Posted by greenalfonzo View Post
    Sloooow sellers. 2 seaters are just not as popular as scouts, and the Snipe is not very popular due to its only appearing on the front in the last month of the war, and being very limited in historically diverse & attractive schemes.
    There isn't any two seaters, in any of three paint schemes, I wouldn't be able to find in a store, as well as Snipes. One store I know of must have around a dozen Snipes.

You might recall that back at the birth of Ares, they talked about changing the release cycle/schedule from releasing in "Series" to releasing single planes every couple of months. I don't know if that is still the plan (I've got an inquiry in), but if it is, then the reprints of the old series 2 would be a good place to start it with. They could re-release the Fokker D.VII followed by the Ni-17 and D.III before ever having to release any of the two-seaters.

I really hope that they're not planning to forego the two-seaters altogether. They may not be that sexy, but I find them important for creating interesting scenarios. I think they're a must, if Ares wants to push at least some gamers past the beer and pretzels level of commitment (I'm referring to actual beer and pretzels here, not Michael's tag).

/Niclas

Oh, I'm sure they will continue to produce them. It's just that a lot of them can still be found on store shelves and even greatly discounted in some cases. I think Ares' commencement to scenario play is shown with the choice of releasing the bombers (both WWI and WWII) so early on in the company's schedule.

But it's the scouts and fighters that really sell and they are the ones that brings the most cash flow to the company. Cash flow is vital to getting new products on the market.

These new releases will gradually indicate which way Ares thinking is going as they hit the street.What I'm really interested in is what happens with Series 7. I can stand that in pairs, just as long as we finally get the Bristol 2 seater.
    Rob.

I must admit , I don't think I have,nor have seen anyone play a game with a Snipe yet.
    Maybe Area will release sets like the Airfix doubles, a two seater with a scout from the opposing side.

I see. I was asking because in Portugal, the Snipes were hard to get and some of the two-seaters even harder. Not as hard as the usual suspects, of course.
    But I also think that the two-seaters and other classes of planes should be addressed in this game. Like flying boats and hydroplanes.

Quote Originally Posted by Boney10 View Post
    I must admit , I don't think I have,nor have seen anyone play a game with a Snipe yet.
    Maybe Area will release sets like the Airfix doubles, a two seater with a scout from the opposing side.
    There is the odd Snipe bobbing about in our "Over the trenches campaign" Chris.
    Rob.

Oh great! A pity Kissenberth was canceled. But so i will save money

And I've played several times against and with Snipes in Wild Clash Scenarios.

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...Clash-Scenario

It is very funny to see people to proudly add their own Snipe or Fokker D. VII to the Wild Clash just to discover that their planes will be used against them.

I do very mischievous things like adding two Albatros D. III in a game where everybody added Snipes or D.VII's and then watching them as they have to keep the D.III's.
    I tried to add an Eindecker and a bullet (my paper ones), but I was almost stoned to death...

I agree there are enough 2 seaters to meet the needs of the the market and for that reason I do not think we will see any more. However there are 2 more two seater's I would like to see and that is the BE2c and an Albatross CIII and that is for their historical importance and the fact that I like ARES models, however I do not belive they would be best sellers. So I shall have to go else where to get them which is a pity.

There are very important 2-seaters that should be addressed. These come immediately to my head:

Halberstadt CL IIa
    Bristol F.2B

I think we will see some new two-seaters from Ares, just not right away.

Quote Originally Posted by Oberst Hajj View Post
    I'm a patient man...

Yes, I think that would be wise. For the reasons stated above and because I don't believe that you can rely on that everyone needed a two-seater bought a Nexus one before. If nothing else, we (and Ares) want new gamers to pick up the game.

/Niclas

Well hopefully they will change the ratio then. I agree with the option of using the scout & opposing force 2-seater pairing would be a good concept, instant scenario. But for the standard release they should hopefully go to 2 fighters, 1 2-seater, and 1 seaplane (or off the wall unknown plane).

I'm a patient man...

oh! Felipe!

The names I see look great to me. I really am looking for the Frank Luke since I didn't get a Delux set. The reprints will be good for those that didn't get their planes from the start.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by wargamer View Post
    But for the standard release they should hopefully go to 2 fighters, 1 2-seater, and 1 seaplane (or off the wall unknown plane).
    I'd have to respectfully but forcefully disagree there - that's exactly the kind of mix in a release that's caused so much trouble before. Bearing in mind the game's history (as far as customers are concerned, a series needs reprinting when the most popular model sells out, as far as the manufacturer's concerned it's when the *least* popular one sells out....) they should be trying very hard to make sure each series has models that will do similarly well. Two seaters and seaplanes are fine, but should be in a series entirely composed of those - it'll sell slower, need reprinting less often, but not cause the kind of availability nightmare we had with Series 2, where the D.VII sold out in record time, but wouldn't get a reprint because it was on the same release as three models that were slow sellers, and therefore didn't merit another production run....

(Hopefully it's academic anyway; I get the impression Ares are looking at working in pairs rather than fours in future, which should make things easier, but whenever more than one model is going onto a mould, you need to think *very* hard about relative sales - put your best seller on the same mould as a turkey, and there's a nasty availability problem coming soon....)

Dom.

Words of experience and wisdom from Dom. Hopefully someone is listening!

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Baldrick62 View Post
    Words of experience and wisdom from Dom.
    Now there's an unlikely sentence....

Quote Originally Posted by Boney10 View Post
    Around here, the only way to get people to *not* use Snipes or D.VIIs is to specifically ban them from doing so.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

It depends what your gaming group's like - power gamers will basically be looking at D.VII vs Snipe or SE5a, while more historically minded groups will often ignore the Snipe in favour of Camels. The Snipe's top notch as a gaming piece, but in terms of "historical playability" it's probably only matched by the UFAG for overall uselessness....

I must admit I use (well used, I haven't played a game in a year....) Snipes quite a bit, but only because 4th AFC is a squadron I've always had a soft spot for, so ended up doing a decal sheet for them and painting up a dozen of the blooming things.... One day I ought to do a set of Jasta Boelcke D.VIIs (those two squadrons were arguably the main historical bust-up between Snipes and D.VIIs) but in the meantime they get to play with Jasta 15. My usual games are a mix of Snipes, Camels and 2-seaters, against D.VIIs, Albatroses and 2-seaters. If I ever actually get my 56 squadron painted up, though, the Snipes will probably get used less in favour of the SE5a....

chris, we played at least one game at Cribbs with one, and I think one at Iron Acton

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. Today's offerings - Nieuport 24/27 aircraft cards
    By Guntruck in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 05-22-2020, 01:22
  2. ARES B25's
    By Doug in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 07-11-2012, 15:53
  3. Ares WW1 planes - Where are you.....
    By Madboyo in forum WGF: General Discussions