Ares Games

Thread: WWI Aviation Movies

Default WWI Aviation Movies

I found this movie. Published in 1993 it is pretty recent: L'Instinct l'ange (Angel's Wings):
    http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/linstinct_de_lange/

Anyone seen it?

Not seen it Daniel. Looks interesting though. I will follow any comments from members with interest.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Found some scenes of this on youtube:

A Nieuport without lower wings?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJ9iu7F9J8I&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8K3aTgtiuaA

Also an entry with a review on imdb:
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0104514/

BTW: This thread is for ALL movies featuring WWI not only for this particular movie
    Last edited by Kaiser; 09-16-2011 at 09:44.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiser View Post
    Found some scenes of this on youtube:

A Nieuport without lower wings?
    Incroyable.
    Kyte.

Ah it's a Morane-Saulnier!

Well done that man.
    Kyte.

I read on the Aerodrome History Forum that is is loosely based on Guynemer & all the Aircraft are actual flying models. Should be worth seeing to get the view from the French side. It has sub titles in English which I read left something to be desired.
    I have it listed in my Amazon Wish List!

They are excellent in their own way Sven. I have a copy of both, thanks to the eagle eyes of the chaps on the Drome pointing them out to me.
    Rob.

Thumbs up

Three WW1 Aviation Movies you MUST watch (in MHO) are "Dawn Patrol" (B & W) Errol Flynn & David Niven plus "Aces High" with Malcolm McDowell & Christopher Plummer & of course "The Blue Max" with George Peppard, James Mason & Ursula Andress (yum!)

I found this movie. Published in 1993 it is pretty recent: L'Instinct l'ange (Angel's Wings):
    http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/linstinct_de_lange/

Anyone seen it?
    After reading the short story and as Gully pointed out this makes me think strongly of Guynemer : he also was rejected because of his frail health...

Although the comments on the movie seem to prove that this movie is flawed in the same way as the other ones mentioned here it is in any case interesting enough to look into it

Both Flyboys and "the Red Baron" have their merits and mistakes...I think we'll have to wait for a truly WWI aviation afficionado to make a movie ( Ok Peter Jackson, if you read this I hope you 'll get the HINT! ) before we'll get a truly historical WWI aircraft flick
    Last edited by Bluedevil; 09-18-2011 at 02:27. Reason: had to add sompe more after re-reading all posts :p

In general I do not like WW1 aircraft movies as the historical inacuracies p*ss me off (apart from the "Blue Max" which is a story and not based on fact).

We have to life with those historical inacuracies.

Look at the "Tiger-Panzer" in the end scene of "Saving Private Ryan".

It's good, that we know the difference, but on the other side, we are the only ones who care about it.

I can live with it. As long as they keep producing the films, it will get more people interested in our period of History, and once we have got them hooked, we can go about correcting the misconceptions they have. Then, with any luck, they will end up as big an anorak as we all are.
    Rob.

The thing is the movie-makers need to make money... and to make money they have to make films that appeal to everybody ( and not just us "anoraks" ) and to appeal to everybody, or at least to as big a public as possible, those movies need to follow certain "rules"...and those rules don't take history into account.

The examples are many...just think of U521 where the US Navy salvages the ENIGMa-machine and thus decipher the Germans secrets...a very exciting movie but the real fact is that it was the British that got the machine and cracked its code... probably with a lot less adventuress but a lot more dangerous effort...

Movie-making is a hard bussiness...

Maybe given an overwing lewis to simulate an pre-interrupter gear plane?
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Last edited by Kaiser; 09-23-2011 at 12:38.

Hunter's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Terry
    Sorties Flown

I can not recommend the movie, "The Red Baron", sorry as I mean no offense, but to me, it was totally stupid. A much better movie was "Richthofen and Brown". My WWI air movies are;

The Blue Max
    Richthofen and Brown
    Dawn Patrol
    Flyboys
    The Red Baron (I destroyed this DVD with a blast of #6 shot turkey load from my 12 gauge Remington 11-87, because this is the third stupidest movie ever made*, so technically I shouldn't list it)

My non a/c WWI movies are;

All Quiet on the Western Front ("John Boy" version)
    Passchendaele
    Once an Eagle (most of it is in WWI)
    Lost Battalion
    What Price Glory?

The Red Baron, IMHO, is the third stupidest movie ever made. The number 2 stupidest movie is "Jaws, The Revenge" and the number 1 most stupid movie of all time is..."Plan 9 From Outer Space"! The only reason that "The Red Baron" was not rated even worse was because there were some good aerial (although looked CGI) combat scenes. The rest of the movie quickly inhaled vast amounts of N4O2 a.k.a sucked!

Hunter's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Terry
    Sorties Flown

Duh, me, I forgot to mention that I also have "Gallipoli".

Ordered my copy of "Angels Wing" from Amazon USA & its on its way!