Ares Games

Thread: Type "P" Zeppelin

Users Country Flag

Name
    Christoph
    Sorties Flown

Default Type "P" Zeppelin

I have just started building a Type "P" Zeppelin in 1/144 scale for use in WWI version of Wings of War. I have started a photo album where I will post progress photos for those who are interested.

let me know what you think.

Thanks,
    Christoph

Thumbs up

That thing looks like it's going to be mammoth!!!

Very impressive.

I hope they hurry up with those Nieuports in the Balloon Buster kits with the rockets!

Looks like we're going to need them soon!

Users Country Flag

Name
    Christoph
    Sorties Flown

Yes I am afraid that it will be a bit of a monster. At 1/144 scale it will be somewhere between 3'-6" and 4'-0" long.

I have finished the first 3 structural bays and will be uploading progress photos soon.

Christoph

Users Country Flag

Name
    Christoph
    Sorties Flown

---UPDATE---

I have just uploaded progress photos. The first three structural bays, approximately 9" long at this point.

Enjoy,
    Christoph

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Stoff View Post
    ---UPDATE---

I have just uploaded progress photos. The first three structural bays, approximately 9" long at this point.

Enjoy,
    Christoph
    Whoa! Dude, are you making a zeppelin, or a replica long lance torpedo!?!

Seriously, that looks like its going to be out of this world awesome when you get it done.

The new pics looks Yumm! Man that thing is going to be bad ass. Where did you get the plans for it at? Are you making it out of balsa wood or card stock? What will you use to make the skin out of?

Sorry for all the questions, but one last one... When can I get plans so I can build one for my group?!?!?!

Users Country Flag

Name
    Christoph
    Sorties Flown

I started with the downloadable plans from Arizona Model Aircrafters (1/16"=1'-0") and enlarged them to 1/144 scale (1/12"=1'-0") and a 1/200 scale paper model That I enlarged to 1/144. The more research I did the more errors that I found in the paper model, I did more research. The plans from Arizona models were the best startin point. I then drew the structural members in AutoCAD, printed them on 110 lb. cardstock, laminated that to two layers of chipboard and started assembly. I am currently planning to skin her with 24 lb. bond baper that I can get in large roll format at the office. (I operate a small drafting sevice in eastern NC, USA.) Next I will be drawing up the pattern for the gondolas. Once I have finished her I plan to produce PDFs for distribution. In fact I am thinking about uploading the PDFs here.

Thanks,
    Christoph

We would love to have the PDFs in the File System. What did you use to cut the 110 lb cardstock laminated to two layers of chipboard? That's a pretty thick and hard setup.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Christoph
    Sorties Flown

I used my handy-dandy small snap off blade craft knife (by Xacto). I do quite a bit of scratch built modeling and this is what works for me. I guess sometime I need to photo my model kit and let y'all see the tools I use.

By the way, the chipboard that I use is the same stuff that comic books and game books come packed with to protect them in the box. My local game store saves it for me rather than throw it away, so the price is right.

I hope this helps,
    Christoph

Users Country Flag

Name
    Christoph
    Sorties Flown

I've got a question for you guys. What do you think will be the best way to put a skin on this lady? Paper or fabric?

Thanks,
    Christoph

I think I would go with some heavy tissue paper and dope it. The same way you build balsa covered airplane kits. That will pull the paper tight and give it the ribbed look.

Another option would be to cover it in RC aircraft film. It pulls tight when heated.

A final option would be to use very thin sheet plastic and wrap it around it, gluing every other support as you go.

I too think tissue paper would be the way to go. I built an RC plane once and I seem to recall the fabric having a weave that might be out of scale for your Zeppelin. The dope was so smelly... my wife could have killed me!

There was also a plastic like product that when exposed to heat, would tighten up. It would be smooth, and be more durable, maybe, than the tissue. I don't have a clue about how much stress that would place on the Zeppelin frame though.

Anyway, that thing is going to be awesome!

That first link I posted shows how to use alcohol instead of dope... it's not as bad smelling.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Christoph
    Sorties Flown

---UPDATE---

Well I have finished assembling the 6 structural bays that are all the same size. Now to the nose and the tail. I have included an airplane so show the size of this lady. The plane is a Fokker DrI from Wings of War.

Thanks for taking a look.

Christoph

Edited by Admin: I added the photo for easy viewing, you can see more in Stoff's albums by clicking on the little photo icon under is user info to the left.

Users Country Flag

Name
    John
    Sorties Flown

Can't wait to see it, when it's finished.

She's looking good. I second the request for pdf plans. A fleet of Zepps roaming the skies again.

Oh boy, just the kind of project I like. As far a covering goes, you could use the heat shrink R/C coverings but they are mostly glossy, may not hold up to handling well, and require special tools to use.

I would suggest strips of thin press board, or chip board as you called it, from food boxes like cereal or crackers glued on in panels. I used to cover the WWII stick and tissue paper models this way to give them a hard surface for painting. Once the glue dries, you can lightly sand any high spots smooth with fine sandpaper and fill any gaps with medium set super glue and accelorator then sand again. Don't wait more than 10 minutes to sand out a super glue fill as it will get rock hard and more difficult to sand.

When you are ready to paint, simply prime the surface with several light coats of white plastic model paint, and sand completely smooth again. This will get rid of any fuzz from the press board and dust. Now you are ready to paint it with any paint that is compatable with the model paint.

If you think the cereal box material is too thick try using 120lb card stock that you can buy to print greeting cards on. I use it to build paper models and it is very easy to work with.

Can't wait to see your project "skinned" and painted!

Users Country Flag

Name
    Christoph
    Sorties Flown

Charlie,

Thanks for the input. I had just about deside that the best think to use for the skin was either 24 lb bond paper that I can get in large sheets of or the 110 lb cardstock that I use for my other vehicle models. This is just the largest model project I have taken on. I usually am building models for WH40k or other 25-30 figure base games. Tanks, APCs, aircraft and buildings. I just started researching zeps and could not resist building one.

Once more thanks for the imput.

Christoph

Christoph -

Are you anywhere near a university? Reason I ask is that the art section of a University's book store would be a place where you could find a wide selection of potential coverings in large sheets - the paper section at the University of Washington is incredible. Apparently so many art students and architect students need various types of paper that they stock a whole wall. I had to pick some up for a project that required a high level of rigidity and large sheets...staff was amazing to work with. In the end, we used a "student paper" that was in sheets of like 30 x40 at $0.20 a sheet...and we had a few sheets that were $2.00/sheet when I did that with the staffer, they took me over and showed me some that were in the tens of dollars.....

Can't wait to see the completed model and a description of materials!

Users Country Flag

Name
    Christoph
    Sorties Flown

Rod,

Unfortunately the nearest university/collage is in Wilmington, NC, about 100 miles away. My drafting business is the reason I have access to large sheets of 24 lb bond paper (for the plotter). I operate a small drafting service in Morehead city, NC. And, yes, I have seen some of the papers that you are describing. They can still be very expensive even when they reach the scrap stores. My favorite store of this type is The Scrap Exchange in Durham, NC. I go there, every time I go to Durham to visit my aunt who lives there.

Thanks,
    Christoph

Charlie,

Thanks for the input. I had just about deside that the best think to use for the skin was either 24 lb bond paper that I can get in large sheets of or the 110 lb cardstock that I use for my other vehicle models. This is just the largest model project I have taken on. I usually am building models for WH40k or other 25-30 figure base games. Tanks, APCs, aircraft and buildings. I just started researching zeps and could not resist building one.

Once more thanks for the imput.

Christoph
    I have been makeing paper models for the last few years because there are subjects available that are not found in plastic or any other medium for less than the price of a sub-compact car. I accidently bought 120lb paper one day instead of 110lb and haven't used lighter stuff since. It is very sturdy even in large unsupported areas and with a little re-inforcing can be like plastic sheet. ( I still use the lighter stuff for small delicate parts) You have engineered plenty of ribs and supports so you should have no problems with your 110lb paper at all!! I built several of the original tanks for 40k in plastic and paper when all they had for them were plans in the White Dwarf mag. Can't beleive the $$$$ they get for their plastic kits these days, especially after assembling a couple. Good luck with your project. I too am looking forward to a possible KIT pdf from you to add to my list of gotta do-s

Users Country Flag

Name
    Christoph
    Sorties Flown

Well I will be taking update photos tonight. I finished the framework for the nose today at lunch time, but the camera is at home. With the six straight (same size) structural bays and the five conical nose structural bays, the main fuselage is 27" long. That leaves the six structural bays of the tail section. I am moving right along with construction and it is looking like I just might make my mid November deadline. Wich me luck.

Christoph

Users Country Flag

Name
    Christoph
    Sorties Flown

---UPDATE---

Finished the structural rings for the nose today. Check out my album in th ephoto sectio to see pictures.

Enjoy,
    Christoph

Man that things is impressive!

Users Country Flag

Name
    Christoph
    Sorties Flown

---UPDATE---

Here she is for this weekend (check out the photo section). <http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/album.php?albumid=9>

I finished the main fusulage framing last night. She is now 3'-8" long.

Enjoy,
    Christoph

Users Country Flag

Name
    John
    Sorties Flown

Awesome! Thats all I can say.

Thumbs up Nice...Very Nice

---UPDATE---

Here she is for this weekend (check out the photo section). <http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/album.php?albumid=9>

I finished the main fusulage framing last night. She is now 3'-8" long.

Enjoy,
    Christoph
    Yo! Drop your linen and start your grinnin' !!!

That thing's off the hook!!

And I thought 1/144 scale B-17s were on the large size for this game!!!

Holy Cow! We definately need those Nieuports with the rockets on them...and like a whole squadron of em' too!

That things massive!!! Your gonna nead a bigger playing mat! Its looking great mate, cant wait until its finished and you've posted the photos.

I'd like to second the vote for you uploading the PDF plans for the Zep onto the site, I looking forward to having a crack at making one myself.......just not sure where I'm going to store it or how I'm going to break the news to the wife??

Still working on the Zepp? Haven't seen an update in a while...

A very nice model I wish I had the skill to build a model like that!

Users Country Flag

Name
    Christoph
    Sorties Flown

The model is still in the works. Unfortunately real life has thrown in a few road blocks, but I am now working on her again. I have gotten the front gondola substantially complete and am working on the rear one. I am still working out how to do the struts and outboard props. I will post photos when I have closed in the gondolas.

Thanks,
    Stoff

Users Country Flag

Name
    Christoph
    Sorties Flown

Hi Guys.

I know it has been a while but I have finally gotten around to an update. Please take a look at my Zeppelin Gallery:

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/album.php?albumid=9

Then let me know what you think. I have finally built the gondolas and mounted them, plus I have built and mounted the outer drive pods.

Thanks,
    Stoff

Users Country Flag

Name
    John
    Sorties Flown

Looks good to me.

Yes, it's great!

This project looks great. I see the last post was about a year ago. Did the zep ever get "completed"; and if so, how's it look?

Additionally, I am looking for any zeppelin building plans, as I plan to build my own. I cruised through the files section but didn't see any there. Has anyone seen anything similar to a set of building plans anywhere?

Thanks,
    Scott

Users Country Flag

Name
    Christoph
    Sorties Flown

It's not quite finished. I have finished the assembly but have stalled out prior to painting. I need to finish sealing the skin and then prime and paint. Unfortunately real life reared its ugly head. I can send you a PDF copy if the the drawings that I drew in AutoCAD along with some others that I gleaned off the internet.

Thanks for the comments.

Christoph

It's not quite finished. I have finished the assembly but have stalled out prior to painting. I need to finish sealing the skin and then prime and paint. Unfortunately real life reared its ugly head. I can send you a PDF copy if the the drawings that I drew in AutoCAD along with some others that I gleaned off the internet.

Thanks for the comments.

Christoph
    We are all agog to see the outcome Christophe. Plans posted on the site will undoubtedly lead to a larger Zep fleet than the Central powers had in real life.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

For sure send the plans, or get them hosted here. I'd like to build a zeppelin before my Christmas break to use with the fam' over the holidays. If sending direct, send to scott (underscore) schelter (at) hotmail (dot) com

Words escape me -- it looks great, and I can only imagine what it will look like painted. Outstanding work -- my hat is off to those of you with the skill to do this. If anyone needs any sewing done in exchange for a zeppelin, that is my only real hands-on skill.

And yes, if you don't mind send me a PDF of your plans, that would be great!

Cheers!

matthew_mole

Smile Zeppelin Plans

Yes please post the pdf for the plans. With the only commercial model costing around 350 pounds I think your method of construction wins hands down.

Can you post a little about the material that you used as well.

Regards
    Matt

I started with the downloadable plans from Arizona Model Aircrafters (1/16"=1'-0") and enlarged them to 1/144 scale (1/12"=1'-0") and a 1/200 scale paper model That I enlarged to 1/144. The more research I did the more errors that I found in the paper model, I did more research. The plans from Arizona models were the best startin point. I then drew the structural members in AutoCAD, printed them on 110 lb. cardstock, laminated that to two layers of chipboard and started assembly [emphasis added]. I am currently planning to skin her with 24 lb. bond baper that I can get in large roll format at the office.
    Read the thread...

... Materials were described, about a year ago.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Christoph
    Sorties Flown

Default Parts PDF files uploaded

OK guys. I have just finished, I think, uploading the PDF files of the parts drawings that I did for my Type "P" zeppelin. I think that they are in the Hobby section. I hope that they help.

Christoph

OK guys. I have just finished, I think, uploading the PDF files of the parts drawings that I did for my Type "P" zeppelin. I think that they are in the Hobby section. I hope that they help.

Christoph
    Thanks Christoph, it is indeed in the place you said. I'm sure it will get a lot of visitors.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Wow, Stoff, we are lucky to have someone with your drafting skills to have put your time into a project like this that I think MANY people here in this community would like to use. I am amazed at the detail put into it. The Version 2 plans are perfect for the balsa wood frame I envisage making. I was counting myself lucky just to hope for plans for the frame; you have amazed me by adding a file for the skin as well. I thought I'd have to improvise my way through designing & cutting my own skin. Thanks you VERY much for your willingness to share your work with all of us here.

Scott

Users Country Flag

Name
    Christoph
    Sorties Flown

There is a problem with the skin sections as drawn. Mathematically they should work fine but, in practice they are long enough from one ring to the next but, not around the fuselage. So, when I skinned my zeppelin I had to make them larger than drawn. One of the nice things about paper is that is is inexpensive when something is not quite the right size. What I did after the first section did not fit was to cut three sides then folded it in half then cut around the folded over section. The section where too large then but, I could then cut the excess off. I used tooth picks for the exposed struts also.

I hope this info helps.

Christoph

Similar Missions

1. WGF & WGS: Miniature Product Info "files"
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Site News and Announcements
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-09-2009, 00:21
  2. Multiplayer: Zeppelin Shoot
    By Dathbain in forum WGF: Mission Discussions
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 10-04-2009, 10:50