Ares Games

Thread: Passchendaele... the third major batlle of Ypres, almost too brutal to watch

Default Passchendaele... the third major batlle of Ypres, almost too brutal to watch

The ground battles where viscous (as all infantry battles are) this scene from the Movie Passchendaele by Paul Gross demonstrates rather realistically, just how bloody the fighting was.

Makes you damn glad to not have had to live (or not) through that.

Dave

Explains why the US didn't want any part of it....

My Grandfather was in the original - he part of one arm blown off, and his body peppered with shrapnel. He'd joined up in December, 1914, and had been at the Somme and Galipolli.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe Brain View Post
    My Grandfather was in the original - he part of one arm blown off, and his body peppered with shrapnel. He'd joined up in December, 1914, and had been at the Somme and Galipolli.
    Hi Zoe! My dad was an original Anzac & then served all through France until he copped a shrapnel burst in his back which caused much damage. However he recovered & lived until he was well into his 70's.
    I came along late in his life as my Mum was told she couldnt have chrildren but as change of Life approached I came along to prove the diagnosis wrong.

This is a photo of my wife's great uncle in uniform. We've been unable to identify the regiment or where he served, but it looks like he was with a mounted unit - either cavalry or artillery.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SCAN0001.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	120.3 KB 
ID:	21791
    He survived the war and returned to England in the 1950's, but that's about all we know about him.

Here is a retouched one of my Grandfather. We found the miniature in my Grandmothers jewell box when she died. It must have been taken about 1915.
    Rob.

Name:	Grandfather.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	141.9 KB 
ID:	21890
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Amazing glimpses at your families histories.

Thank you for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by Albert Ross View Post
    This is a photo of my wife's great uncle in uniform. We've been unable to identify the regiment or where he served, but it looks like he was with a mounted unit - either cavalry or artillery.

Name:	SCAN0001.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	120.3 KB 
ID:	21791
    He survived the war and returned to England in the 1950's, but that's about all we know about him.
    Gee Stuart with that hat brim turned up he almost looks like an Aussie Light Horseman!
    Me thinks he could have been in a mounted Rifle Regiment from the Bandoleer.

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    Gee Stuart with that hat brim turned up he almost looks like an Aussie Light Horseman!
    Me thinks he could have been in a mounted Rifle Regiment from the Bandoleer.
    I would love to find out for sure! If he served at Gallipoli, then he must have been aboard my great uncle's ship at one time or another, as uncle Bert was on the steamer Barryfield which was used as a troop carrier....
    Don't have a wartime photo of him, but this one was taken at his wedding around 1919-20
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails uncle bert.jpg   psbarry1.jpg  

Terrible, a boy forced to wield a rifle and fight for his life in a trench.