Ares Games

Thread: VIDEO ON U.S. TRAINING OF PILOTS DURING WW I

Default VIDEO ON U.S. TRAINING OF PILOTS DURING WW I

Nice.. thanks for sharing that one..

Looks really interesting Brian. When I get time I will watch the whole of it. Thanks for bring it to my attention.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

A wireless set on the board? Did I hear correct? I did not know that they were used during WWI...

Quote Originally Posted by Dan-Sam View Post
    A wireless set on the board? Did I hear correct? I did not know that they were used during WWI...
    Remember we are discussing spark gap morse code radios here. hefty but still portable. Technology moved on from the huge device on the Titanic designed to reach across the atlantic, the portable versions used from 1915 on were basically line of sight up to about ten miles... and you do not want to hear about atmospherics, bounce, and other evils of radio back then. So there was no voice radio involved.

Quote Originally Posted by wargamer View Post
    and you do not want to hear about atmospherics, bounce, and other evils of radio back then.
    Oh! Yes I do. It may lead to an idea.

Rob.

Thank you for possting the video. The wireless sets were for transmitting instructions to artillary units. I believe that they could not receive.

It is interesting to note that the Nieuport 28's were described as 'obsolescent'.

Right. I finally found the time to watch the vid. It is superb Brian. What a smashing piece of archival material. It will stand scrutinizing several times just to take in all the details.
    Rob.

very Cool. very nice thanks.

Great video Brian, showing all facets of US air assets - even the observation balloons got a mention.

Particularly like the footage of aircraft manufacturing in Dayton. Really interesting