Ares Games

View Poll Results: Read Thread first! How many bags would you likely order?

Voters
192. You may not vote on this poll
  • None, thank you.

36 18.75%

50 26.04%

67 34.90%

12 6.25%

14 7.29%

6 3.13%

3 1.56%

0 0%

1 0.52%

1 0.52%

0 0%
  • 10+

2 1.04%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Altitude Pegs again

what are these pegs like? Are they the same as the original pegs that come with the planes?

I'd love to see what could come of getting pegs done in my alttitude idea... (taking planes higher off the table, upwards of 8 or more inches! Maybe getting them 2 feet off!)

Quote Originally Posted by LingSter View Post
    what are these pegs like? Are they the same as the original pegs that come with the planes?

I'd love to see what could come of getting pegs done in my alttitude idea... (taking planes higher off the table, upwards of 8 or more inches! Maybe getting them 2 feet off!)
    I do my own pegs at higher levels for the bombers. (See my album) but find that over about 8 to 10 inches things start to look wrong, so your estimate would be about right John. The length of peg seems to stand out more than the smaller planes and overpower the look of the scene. Also it seems to throw out the idea of scale of the action. You also find that some aircraft never get back into the action once they have dived after an enemy. climb rates can be a real problem in an hour long game.
    That, however is just my perception of the games we play. On a much larger table with more time it may work O.K. Just not for me I'm afraid.
    The pegs that I am ordering are to suplement those I've used on all my builds.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

I'd love to get pegs that are better shaped than what I've done. mine are white, and primitive. I'd love to get them in clear.

Heer Oberst any news on when the altitude pegs will be in production?

I'm afraid to report more delays on the pegs. Nearly half of the mold inserts (the parts that make the female openings in our pegs) and not coming out to spec. That means part of them are too loose for the pegs to stay together and the other part is too tight. The production shop is having to outsource a machine shop to make new inserts for it.

So, it's going to be a couple more months unfortunately.

Gloom, but I suppose it cant be helped, waited this long can wait a bit longer, thanks for update Herr Oberst

Users Country Flag

Name
    Stewart
    Sorties Flown

Thanks for the update, I'm just glad that they are coming

Stewart

You sure you don't work for a certain company that makes miniature planes?? Just kidding buddy
    I looking forward to getting some when they come out.

Thomas

Thanks for letting us know Heer Oberst, still I begin to see the complexity of making what appeard to me to be something simple

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    Thanks for letting us know Heer Oberst, still I begin to see the complexity of making what appeard to me to be something simple
    I know Doug. I tried with the bomber pegs and couldn't even get a supply of the right diameter perspex to do them. You can get 8mm or 10mm from stock but not 9mm unles you have a special order and then you have to agree to take a minimum order which is exorbitantly expensive. I didn't even go down the road of getting metal dies made for injection moulding because of the tooling costs.
    Rob.

I'd like to order one bag of clear pegs please .

ahm hehe what are "pegs"

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy View Post
    ahm hehe what are "pegs"
    They are the plastic pieces used to connect the model to the base and indicate altitude.

ah ok thx

Any update on the pegs Herr Oberst or we still looking at March sometime ?

I just talk to the peg guy on Friday. He has the new mold inserts and a test batch will be made on Tuesday. As long as they come out good this time, they will send me the test batch to approve. As soon as I approve it, I'll put them up for pre-orders for a week or two. As long as the pre sales are good, the first batch will hopefully be ran and shipped in March.

Thanks for the Heads up Herr Oberst. I have many planes just waiting for them as you may imagine.
    Rob.

I would like to see the blue ones first,but you can't have too many

A few more minor tweaks were needed, so those are being worked on. I was told that I should be getting a sample of the blue pegs as well now (before it was just going to be the clear ones).

Great news Keith. But will your plans to sell them be affected by Ares announcement that their pegs will be available separately?
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Depends on when either of them actually come out. Also, currently Ares only has plans to offer the pegs for a limited time (or amount really). They are selling off "excess" pegs from the WWII Series 3 planes. At least that is what management told me.

Quote Originally Posted by Guntruck
    Ares announcement that their pegs will be available separately?
    But they're not sky blue.
    Last edited by Ed2; 04-26-2012 at 19:51.

Puzzledust

I'd really like to order some of these as I just broke one of mine.

Default Price of pegs

Hi Keith
    Have you worked out the cost and size of the bags of pegs and if you have a date for sale

Still waiting to here back from the mold guy... so no new info yet

Anything on the peg front Herr Oberst?

Still waiting for them to work the kinks out on the fitment of the pegs

I would buy surely two bags of transparent pegs, and maybe three bags. How much time will it take to have these?

Unfortunately, I can't really give you a date. As soon as the issues are worked out, they will go into production.

Quote Originally Posted by Oberst Hajj View Post
    Unfortunately, I can't really give you a date. As soon as the issues are worked out, they will go into production.
    A bit like Ares.... not your fault, these things are to some degree inevitable. You have to rely on others, who have to rely on yet others, and it doesn't take much to disrupt the schedule. They will come when they come, not before, and it's unreasonable to expect more. Better a good product late, than a useless one early.

Speaking of pegs...

Are there any plans for big (bomber) pegs?

/Niclas

Most likely not. I don't think there would be enough demand for them to cover the cost of having molds made for them. I could be wrong though, and only can tell.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Niclas View Post
    Speaking of pegs...

Are there any plans for big (bomber) pegs?

/Niclas
    Bomber Pegs are available through Shapeways.

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    Bomber Pegs are available through Shapeways.
    Are they short or long? - Anyway, I'd much rather buy from the Oberst if at all possible. Has anyone tried bombers on the small pegs? Or will that be too unsteady?

/Niclas

Are they short or long? -
    There are a couple different choices.

Anyway, I'd much rather buy from the Oberst if at all possible. Has anyone tried bombers on the small pegs? Or will that be too unsteady?

/Niclas
    I would too, and they are my pegs on Shapeways! But until that time...

The thick pegs work well with Keith's bases, but I think I'm going to make a new peg that may work better for the smaller Shapeways bombers. Basically, it will be a plug the size of the bomber base hole, with a fighter size peg coming out of it.

Are they short or long? - Anyway, I'd much rather buy from the Oberst if at all possible. Has anyone tried bombers on the small pegs? Or will that be too unsteady?

/Niclas
    I've been flying a couple of all metal Skytrex Gotha bombers on small pegs for over a year now with no issues. If you are using Shapeways planes, they would do even better because of the much lighter weight. Not sure about the big'uns like the HP 0/400 or Straakens.

I got a Shapeways Friedrichshafen and Caproni bomber on standard pegs, as well as a Skytrex fe2b and two Skytrex AEGIV.
    All are pretty stable on AA bases and small pegs,
    I currently use the FE2B on a standard 2 seater base but hopefully getting a custom one soon

Hunter's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Terry
    Sorties Flown

/Niclas
    Clipper1801 uses the standard pegs in his homemade bases. Look at any of his pics and you can see.

I am not sure why we need so many more pegs. I have a bunch of them in my combat box, probably around 300 to 400 or so. 4 per mini x all the Nexus minis adds up. So far the most planes I have flown at once was 8 and the altitudes did not exceed 5 pegs or so that is only 40 pegs. I have a number of adapter pegs for my models without ball mounts and still have a pile of them. How high are we going to climb in the new rules?

Clipper Climbing to 19,000 feet soon . . .

I personally want more pegs as I prefer to have my extra aircraft set up as per the official ones, each with a base and 4pegs, just me but that's why I'm wanting more pegs.

I only need spare pegs for the custom bases that I've got, plus a few spares so that I can have a set or two in each of my carrying cases for non-official models (to cover those days when I forget to bring any officials and their pegs along).

Quote Originally Posted by Boney10 View Post
    I personally want more pegs as I prefer to have my extra aircraft set up as per the official ones, each with a base and 4pegs, just me but that's why I'm wanting more pegs.
    That is exactly my outlook too Chris. I like to be able to just pick up asny case to go to an event knowing that it will have a complete set of cards, pegs and bases without having to swap things about, and then return them to the corect box after the show. The more aircraft I get the harder this becomes.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    That is exactly my outlook too Chris. I like to be able to just pick up asny case to go to an event knowing that it will have a complete set of cards, pegs and bases without having to swap things about, and then return them to the corect box after the show. The more aircraft I get the harder this becomes.
    Rob.
    Yep, that's where I am too - pinching pegs from early war aircraft and 2 seaters with low rates of clmb to get the ShapeReviTrex at least airborne leaves most of my fleet short of the full 4 pegs. Dials are great on the Colonel's stands and the one Litko stand I have for my FEE but more pegs is the ideal solution.

Plus with the blue transparent ones I will be swapping out to get that alternate color code for altitude. So I will be buying both kinds.

Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by clipper1801 View Post
    I am not sure why we need so many more pegs. I have a bunch of them in my combat box, probably around 300 to 400 or so. 4 per mini x all the Nexus minis adds up.
    Weirdos like me like to keep their minis in the original boxes with the original pegs, and buy AA bases for our non-Nexus planes. Soooo... we need pegs to go with those bases.

I'd probably buy at least 200 pegs when they become available.

The group that I was working with on the molds before were unable to correct the problems with the female openings in the pegs. They have decided to stop working on this project. A major set back. However, I've got a new 3D designer working on the pegs and I'll be sending off for the 2nd set of prototypes in the next few days. As long as those come back in good fitting order, I'll start the process of having a mold made.

So, the project is still being worked on... even if we are not really any closer to getting the pegs in our hands

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast