Ares Games

Thread: Need help restring Max Headroom's plane cards to the site

Default Need help restring Max Headroom's plane cards to the site

I'm looking for a couple of people to help with restoring all the plane cards Max Headroom did for the site over the past 3 years. There are well over 550 WGF cards and 430 WGS cards. I'd like these added to the Files section under the appropriate sections (i.e. by side and plane type). Each file would need to be uploaded one at a time with a description and thumbnail added to it. It is a lot of work... anyone up for it?

I'd be more than happy to lend a hand.

Count me in. How will it work?
    See you on the Dark Side......

I will help, if you tell me what to do.

If you can write instructions for idiots, I'll have a go

I would be happy to help out if as David and John says, you could put together an idiot's guide.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

I have a number of
    Max cards already, the custom ones he did for me which
    I can give

I'll be glad to help, Keith. I have almost all of Max's cards downloaded. How do you want to divvy up the workload?
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

I am really happy to help you also because I am interested in these cards.
    If you explain me in a symple way how you want to upload these files I'll try to do my task!
    I am waiting for order.
    Bye
    Carlo

Thanks everyone. I'll brake the cards down in to more manageable chunks and then post a How To to get the job done. It will most likely be next week as this week and the weekend is already full.

That will be great Keith, as I am away from tomorrow until Sunday evening myself, and will only have intermittent contact with the Drome during that time.
    Rob.

Send some my way if it's not too late.
    Linz

More than happy to help, like the others have stated, idiots guide please

Quote Originally Posted by johnbiggles View Post
    If you can write instructions for idiots, I'll have a go
    Playing and painting are my passions. Learning all the ins and outs of the computer are not. An idiot's guide would be nice.
    Sincerly, this sites Idiot

I would also be happy to pitch in if help is still needed

Don't have cards on hand, but willing to help if I can still find them.

If you still need help, I'm willing.

Is this project ongoing, or stalled?

Some of Max's personal albums are messed up, too. I'm tackling some cards on my own, but looking for Photoshop files to adapt, if there are any.

So, I will throw my hat into the ring for the restoration project, if more hands can help.

Mike

PS: Is there a list of members doing cards, or have albums of custom cards? I have started one, but will probably have to divide it up, if I keep doing up cards like I am.
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 03-02-2014 at 18:25. Reason: post script

I am not sure which cards of Max's are still viable, but can send you any copies that I have if they will be helpful although I suspect that most will be his uncorrupted ones.
    Rob.

The cards that are unobtainable were posted before the "Great Hacking"; sometime in March of 2012. While the thumbnails are still up, the files themselves were lost.
    If you have something specific in mind, PM me, as I have almost everything Max posted on my computer.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

I lost track of this with everything that I have going on. I'll have to check to see if I ever got all the files uploaded to the server. If I did, I'll post the link to the directories and someone can take over dividing them up between members to place in albums or maybe in the files section.

Anyone want point on this project?

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    The cards that are unobtainable were posted before the "Great Hacking"; sometime in March of 2012. While the thumbnails are still up, the files themselves were lost.
    If you have something specific in mind, PM me, as I have almost everything Max posted on my computer.
    Karl
    I've been watching Karl upload Max Headroom's cards. I didn't download any, as I thought they'd be there when I went looking. Now that they are going back up, I see that I have some work to do to match the skills.

Many thanks, Karl, for doing this.

Mike

I am ready to start.
    I have launched an help request to Italian pilot to find the Max's files.
    I'll update that to you.
    Bye
    Carlo

It looks like Jager has a pretty good start on adding lots of them to his albums already. I've uploaded all the ones Max sent me on CD to the server. They can be found here. If one of you wants to organize some members to sort through them and upload them to the Files sections, that would be great.

Speaking of Max Headroom.

It has been about a year since he posted on this site.

Has anyone been in contact with him ?

Is he OK ?

He is doing fine. Work, family and life just keep him off the site now.

What exactly needs doing to sort and upload them to the files Boss?
    Rob.

I've already sorted them via WGF and WGS as well as sides (for WGF). Some type of division of labor (by plane type perhaps?) should be setup so that members are not uploading the same file multiple times. Once each plane type been assigned to a member, that member should upload the file to the correct category in the Files Section. For any types that don't have a category yet, just let me know and I can create it.

Each file should also have the name changed to show the pilot or unit the plane belongs to. Ensure that Max gets credit as the Author (there is a field for that) as well as put the pilot and/or unit name in the description box. Finally, the file it's self should be used as the image attached to the file (that is what shows on the page listing all the files in that category).

It's a lot of work but if someone takes charge, assigns the plane types out to members and so forth, it should go pretty quick for everyone

I'm happy to help if I can, though if this task will require any ID work beyond just reading off the card, I might not be much use.

Quote Originally Posted by Oberst Hajj View Post
    He is doing fine. Work, family and life just keep him off the site now.
    Glad to hear that Max is OK !

Thank you for the information.

Better to have too much work than not enough.

I have downloaded quite a few of his WW1 cards....so I can pitch in some time on it if you need some extra help.

Welcome back, Max!

Just noticed that Alan [Max Headroom] is uploading cards to the files! My Idol is back.

Mayhap I can get more lessons in card production.

Mike

I will endorse what Mike has said.
    good to have you back with us Max.
    Rob.

Welcome back Max - good to hear that all is well!

Have to say the same to Max. Welcome back and glad that all is well with you, a great contributor to this group.

Welcome back, Max. We have missed you.

Just to let you all know; I've finished uploading the lost cards by Max, up to the date of the hacking.
    Check my Albums.
    Also, Max appears to be fixing his own albums, so hopefully, mine will shortly be unnecessary.
    Karl

Thanks a lot, Karl! Found a lot of good stuff in your albums!

EDIT: And thanks to Max too, of course...

Quote Originally Posted by horsepyre View Post
    Thanks a lot, Karl! Found a lot of good stuff in your albums!

EDIT: And thanks to Max too, of course...
    Yeh, it's all Max's work; which he does very well!
    Karl'

Bit late getting back to this one, but I would just like to add my thanks to both of you as well. It is the unselfish acts and giving of voluntary expert abilities, plus an inordinate amount of time and effort put in by all you chaps that helps to keep the Drome the superb place that it has become.
    Rob.

Let me add my thanks to all who have contributed!!

Good to hear Alan is doing ok, thanks to all saving his great work

Similar Missions

1. Plane Cards
    By armstrongjohn1 in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-21-2013, 03:24
  2. Plane Cards
    By Baxter in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-28-2012, 22:37
  3. Plane Cards
    By tonyc206 in forum WGF: General Discussions