Ares Games

Thread: Kaisers Mod for more Realism

Default Kaisers Mod for more Realism

As the thread title said
    Here is a collection of several house rules you can try to give your games of WoW more realism.
    Cudos for the original inventor (which name me escapes) for the Spin-mechanics

Feel free touse all, none or some rules of this collection

I would be grateful for comments and critique
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Kaiser; 04-24-2014 at 06:44.

Hunter's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Terry
    Sorties Flown

Interesting. It does seem to provide more realism. I've copied them and will try them out in a league game and see how they go over. Thanks Daniel!

I would be careful with the B-B and B-B-B-B shots for the different guns... while the numerical damage might average out to the official A damage types assigned to those guns, the chances of causing any special damages are doubled in these house rules.

Stargaze

The B-deck does an average of about 1.07 damage/hit, the A-Deck 1.65 damage/hit, both with around 41% chance to do some special damage. So two B-shots not only have about twice the chance of a special hit compared to one A-shot, they also do 50% more average damage.

The rest looks nice though.

Thanks for the kudos Daniel - glad you liked the spin !)

Sapiens qui vigilat "He is wise who watches"

Nice work. A few little add-ons which will no doubt make the game a little more interesting.

Thank you guys

Yes the multiple D-damage is a bit of an excess. Just use one A-damage cart for each two B-damage carts if you shoot with two guns. If the Lewis runs out of shots switch to B-damage for a single gun until reloaded.

Also forgot the Overdive rules for planes who normally can't do them and the different types of a kill. I will hand this in later

We're rreading it but have not started using it yet. Looks good to me.

I have uploaded the new Version V0.2. I have added Overdives rules for planes who normally can't perform them. Tuned some wording of the Spin and Powerdive rules and added how you can distinguish the four different kinds of a confirmed kill.
    Last edited by Kaiser; 09-03-2011 at 07:22.

Hunter's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Terry
    Sorties Flown

Oberst is right about the damage deck issues, but everything else looks keen. I like it, I like it alot.

Like them will try them out soon as possible.

I would appreciate to receive feedback about how these rules behave in play
    And i will think about a rewording of the Lewis-gun rules to remove the B-damage spam.

Will do work and other things allowing will give them a try either this Thursday or one night the week after .

So any new input? Did anyone used this rules?

Quote Originally Posted by Stargaze View Post
    The B-deck does an average of about 1.07 damage/hit, the A-Deck 1.65 damage/hit, both with around 41% chance to do some special damage. So two B-shots not only have about twice the chance of a special hit compared to one A-shot, they also do 50% more average damage.

The rest looks nice though.
    I agree with your assessment. Doubling the B deck averages 2.14 alot stronger than the A deck of 1.65.

Looks interesting. I will read it all and get back with you.

Thanks
    Tom

I would be glad about any feedback

i rly like these rules i will definitly use them.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Warren
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiser View Post
    So any new input? Did anyone used this rules?
    We'll be trying out these rules this weekend and seeing how they work. Also incorporating the wind sock idea, wind, and weather...just to give us a few more headaches.

Loved the spin mechanics. All the other rules are close to what I already use. I will put the spin in for our next club game and see how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Skafloc View Post
    Loved the spin mechanics. All the other rules are close to what I already use. I will put the spin in for our next club game and see how it goes.
    I like the spin rules myself... am I correct in remembering that Zoe has something similar (or such) for aircraft that go OOC? I'll have to take a look...

The mechanics for the Spin isn't my own idea.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Warren
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by wbfritze View Post
    We'll be trying out these rules this weekend and seeing how they work. Also incorporating the wind sock idea, wind, and weather...just to give us a few more headaches.
    I'll quote myself because I can't recall yesterday.

But, the wind/wind sock/weather rules went over very nicely last weekend. The extra tail wind played with the predictability of people's guestimation of people's speed so the little extra chaos was interesting. Again, kudos to the folks who introduced the rule variations to the game.

We argued about rain and planes being on fire but let the fire ride unless we "rolled" a sudden squall.

Quote Originally Posted by wbfritze View Post
    Please send me a link to the Wind sock idea with wind and weather.

Thomas

I'd like to read these rules ideas, but when I click the link, I just get a white screen. Is the file gone?

Would appear so Eris - I have a copy, if you want to pm me your e-mail I can send it on.

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Would appear so Eris - I have a copy, if you want to pm me your e-mail I can send it on.
    Can I get a copy also please Dave?
    Will PM you my email

Dave could you send me a copy too, lost a bit when my computer went down. Cheers Neil
    See you on the Dark Side......

I reuploaded an improved version in the first posting. Mainly spelling errors corrected

I don't think giving out damage cards to aircraft in a spin is historically accurate or realistic. Spins don't stress and damage aircraft (a spin is not a fire!) -- what damages them is contact with the ground when they can't recover in time. (I'm assuming here we're talking about undamaged aircraft that enter a spin either deliberately or as a result of pilot error-- the large majority of the cases-- I'm sure you could find an example where a spin killed off a plane that was on the verge of structural failure when it entered the spin.)*

Please understand I said giving out damage cards isn't realistic-- I didn't say it was "wrong". It is your game, your friends, your house rules, and your fun. If you want to add tension and drama (and fun) by adding in such a rule, go for it. Games are always a balance between realism and playability, after all. I'm just pointing out that if you think you're also adding 'realism" then you're a little misguided.

I much prefer Flash's solution to spinning.
    it gives a chance of trouble without being too drastic.
    I quote here what he said and give a link to his demonstration of how it proceeds.

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/album.php?albumid=286

Spinning Out.
    Seen this mentioned a few times and it got me thinking about how it could be replicated in WoW.
    Now some folks don't like people dropping out of a game because of an illegal move on their part ie two consecutive steep moves, so how about spinning them out & giving them a chance to recover?

Basically you choose the direction they will spin based on their direction of travel; take a long curve card and lay it sideways across the front of the aircraft base (or card) then move the plane onto the arrowhead as usual. The offender must play a minimum of three cards & will have dropped a level of altitude before having a chance to pull out.

To do so I will make them draw from the A damage deck (you may enjoy some other mechanism); if they draw a 0 card they pull out of the spin, anything else they take the damage drawn (but not special damage unless a critical damage card) and go round and down again for another three cards. Their plane will either fold, they will hit the ground or they will pull out it's that simple.
    Anyway - have a look at this album and see if there's something you can use.

Love it, hate it, ignore it, use it, adjust it as you will....... [IMG]file:///C:\Users\Admin\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image002.gif[/IMG]
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."