Ares Games

Thread: Availability of Planes????

Default Availability of Planes????

Just wanted to see what other players where having issues with regarding to actually buying planes.

I see alot you have gone to other manufactures to get what planes you want.

In New Zealand we can't get alot of the series 1 minis, and the big one for sure is the Red Baron.

what is it like in your neck of the woods? are the plane minis easy to buy? find? affordable?

I know from recent experience trying to find a WWI deluxe box set close to New Zealand is impossible. will FFG/Nexus/the powers that be re-release planes, box sets etc?

its hard enough waiting for some of the new planes let alone trying to find some of the original planes we missed. [eg just got into the game]

Cheers
    GW

Name
    Dent
    Sorties Flown

I work in a games shop, GW, and so far have not had too much hassle (though some customer orders took a while to arrive). ATM we've got only S1 WWII in, but when we get more, I can let you know if you like, as postage to you wouldn't be much from here in vic.

The WWI deluxe set isn't for sale in the U.S. either. But fortunately for us, there are on-line shops in Canada that stock it. Otherwise, Manfred Von Richthofen's Dr.I is the only thing that's regularly difficult to hunt down. You only have to find him once, though...

I'm not even sure if the WWI Deluxe set is still in production... I don't think it is for some reason. In my local area, all of the planes are pretty easy to get these days. Back a year or so ago, they were hard to find from time to time.

I do not know a shop that has planes in stock but if you order them you can get most of the planes in less than a week.

No problem to get any plane I like in Germany. My local shop can get any plane within a week. Online shops got them all, sometime even to ridiculous low prices (Bf109 for about 5.- Euros, Deluxe Set für 35,- Euros).

That's because it's a European game - most of the time it's the other way around :-)

My LGS's run out pretty quick, but the online stores still have decent stocks (often at much lower prices too, if you shop around). IGUK and The BoardgameClub are the most useful in this neck of the woods for WAW IMO.

Hi Greywolf. I have just had a big search of Ebay and I only found 1 Red Baron DR.1 and its still being bid on and its already over US$20. which is a stupid price to pay for a $10 model. May I suggest that you purchase an Arthur Rahn Dr.1, you can get you one for US$9.42 plus postage on Ebay then go to Doms Decals and purchase the generic decal set for about US$5.00 including postage and then some GW red and white paint and make up your own model. The stat card is already in the Aces box set and the manouver deck is the same in the Arthur Rahn model. Its not a difficult paint job and there is a ton of painting reference on the web. Its funny that everybody wants the "all red plane" when he hardly actually flew the thing anyway, its actually the plane he was killed rather than a plane he did much killing in.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Wilco View Post
    Hi Greywolf. I have just had a big search of Ebay and I only found 1 Red Baron DR.1 and its still being bid on and its already over US$20. which is a stupid price to pay for a $10 model. May I suggest that you purchase an Arthur Rahn Dr.1, you can get you one for US$9.42 plus postage on Ebay then go to Doms Decals and purchase the generic decal set for about US$5.00 including postage and then some GW red and white paint and make up your own model. The stat card is already in the Aces box set and the manouver deck is the same in the Arthur Rahn model. Its not a difficult paint job and there is a ton of painting reference on the web. Its funny that everybody wants the "all red plane" when he hardly actually flew the thing anyway, its actually the plane he was killed rather than a plane he did much killing in.
    yeah got the decals on the way from Dom's Decals, got one set of the iron cross with white box and two sets of the iron cross white boarder.

once I get them will order a couple of the other Dr1's and do a couple of repaints from the flying Circus.

Cheers
    GW

Users Country Flag

Name
    allen
    Sorties Flown

the hardest plane to find in my area is eddie rickenbacker's spad xiii...other spads are to be found but his seems to disappear off shelves the fastest.....

Users Country Flag

Name
    David
    Sorties Flown

Well, the Deluxe Sets are still in stock here in Spain, but I had to buy the Göeing plane in an USA on line Store (here I can't find it).

Why don't you order via amazon Germany or UK? I suppose the shipping cost are very high if you order from the US.

Quote Originally Posted by Scoop View Post
    Why don't you order via amazon Germany or UK? I suppose the shipping cost are very high if you order from the US.
    shipping from the U.S is slightly better on some occasions then the U.K and Europe. but considering it can cost me $30EUR to post something from Spain. $20GBP to $40GBP from the U.K or $20-$40USD from the states.

its really hard for me to buy some things. I buy mostly from a company in the U.S and hardly use Ebay anymore. I do get a good price from my supplier but he never has enough of certain stuff and I am still waiting for a release date for the DoW deluxe box set.

cheers
    GW

Users Country Flag

Name
    David
    Sorties Flown

When I buy USA I am useful to do it to the big thing and to minimize postage and handling.

In addition, also I buy products that in Spain are much more expensive. As Star Wars and Heroclix miniatures. It compensates even more the purchase. And I remember you that the dollar is much more under that euro.

A that's true actually - I only know that no one around here wants to order in the US cause most of the time the shipping is more expesive than the game.

I wonder if shipping from an individual would be cheaper for you guys then coming from a store. Is it a customs fee that hits you hard?

Quote Originally Posted by Scoop View Post
    A that's true actually - I only know that no one around here wants to order in the US cause most of the time the shipping is more expesive than the game.
    A friend of mine orders nearly all his gaming stuff in the US. He never complains about shipping...

Depends what and how much you order. As far as I know you have to pay customs if the amount plus shipping is more than 20 Euros. A month before christmas the customs change their fees most of the time. And if the shop declares the order as a gift you don't have to pay any taxes at all (which isn't legal). So sending stuff between to individuals should be far cheaper than ordering at a shop (cause you can declare it as a gift).
    I had to check the European and German customs once because of a single t-shirt. Made me almost mad :-P

Quote Originally Posted by Col. Hajj View Post
    I wonder if shipping from an individual would be cheaper for you guys then coming from a store. Is it a customs fee that hits you hard?
    I am only effected by customs fees when the order is more then a $1,000NZD

I am not sure whether its the exchange rate, or some other expenses but more times then not I am paying more then the items worth.

but I am sure that if a friend was to send me the stuff it would be cheaper.

Cheers
    GW

Similar Missions

1. Availability of WOW
    By Bigman in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-06-2009, 09:39