Ares Games

Thread: Shooting each other down same turn

Default Shooting each other down same turn

Is shooting simultaneous or is there an order to it.

Generally, it is simultaneous.

However, I believe there is an ace skill floating about that allows you to have your opponents draw damage first, but ignore this for the basic rules.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingryno View Post
    No gain just pain. It has finished many a sortie in double quick time in this household. The Ace rule does indeed give an advantage to anyone who has choosen that attribute.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

I'm not sure what effect this would have, but I might say that if A is tailing B, then A fires before all, and if B choses to fire back at A, then it too is ahead of the rest.
    I'm guessing that it would work out that A tails B, and B sets his sights on C, then B could go crashing down before he gets off the shot.

We go with simultaneous although we have never had anyone shot down in the same turn as their victim ,only damaged

We play with damage simultaneous. I remember a time where my adversary pulled the explosion card and I took 4 points of damage. It was just enough to max out my damage and send me down also.

What about a "Tail Chain"? A tails B, B tails C, C tails D... in this case, does the tailing sequence start at whoever's #2 in the train or Tail End Charlie?

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    What about a "Tail Chain"? A tails B, B tails C, C tails D... in this case, does the tailing sequence start at whoever's #2 in the train or Tail End Charlie?
    This is another one of those interesting conundrums that so often occurs on the drome. We can't write a rule to cover it because there are so many variables. Who actually got into a firing position first, or how far did the aircraft have to move along its card to get into range. what was the angle off etc. Once this sort of detail takes a hold the speed of the game gets bogged down. For those who like this sort of detail, great. For me the simplicity of the game is one of its main attractions. It makes a nice change from 200 page rule books with five suplements and army lists.
    Nevertheless, each to his own. Enjoy the debate. I know I will follow it with continuing interest.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

We play simultaneous shots, and usually the firing plane gets the 'initiative' to make the opponent draw first (or just at the same time - not much difference tbh).

We also decide before a match, to remove a certain amount of '0' damage cards according to how many planes are in action. This helps make the action a little more frantic.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingryno View Post
    The nearest to their target get to fire first - obviously head to head & tail gunners would fire at adversaries simultaneously - this therefore will have consequences in the chain scenario as some will get to fire 'out of sequence' of the chain eg the rearmost might be closer to his target than the one at the front so that round of fire & its results would be resolved first.
    Note: This is not an official rule just a simple mechanism to see who gets the first shots off (unless you have that ace ability of course)
    Last edited by flash; 01-29-2012 at 06:15.

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

I kind of like the fact that all shots are simultaneous as well. Any order of firiing rules do indeed slow things down in larger battles.

As such, in my games I am going to have the ace skill receive priority and we will experiment if novices firing last is a worthy edition in campaign games.

Our Club always plays simultanious firing unless affected by the Ace Skill.

We always play simultanious firing (skills are exception).

We usually play simultaneous... but have also staggered shooting based on skill level of pilots. Double aces fire before aces who fire before regular pilots who fire before rookies, etc.

This option, of course, renders the relevant ace skill irrelevant.

Quote Originally Posted by fast.git View Post
    We usually play simultaneous... but have also staggered shooting based on skill level of pilots. Double aces fire before aces who fire before regular pilots who fire before rookies, etc.

This option, of course, renders the relevant ace skill irrelevant.
    Not cumulative then Chris?
    Rob.

We also play simultaneous and both are shot down then so be it. For example in last Sundays game two already damaged plane attacked each other both drew enough damage to send then down.

I think each plane should be limited to one return fire per phase.

Apart from that, IMO i'm fairly happy with simultaneous firing. Keeps the game flowing, especially when you've been in a hot pursuit for a couple of turns.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Not cumulative then Chris?
    Rob.
    Well... wonder why we never thought about that? We'll have to give it a go!