Ares Games

Thread: Dodging Bullets as a WWI balloonist (a balloonist's story)

Default Dodging Bullets as a WWI balloonist (a balloonist's story)

"It was not as glamorous a job as that of fighter pilots, but the men who manned tethered observation balloons in World War I had their share of thrills..."

Googling this evening turned this fascinating 9-page story of Birge Clark, a WWI balloonist. I wasn't sure I could share the file here... but the link is a public one, and here it is. I found it a pretty neat read (the article is part of a newsletter published by Stanford University in summer 1986. Birge, later an architect, had ties to the school and area).

http://histsoc.stanford.edu/pdfST/ST10no3_4.pdf
    Last edited by jamesmhebert; 08-19-2011 at 21:13. Reason: typos

Interesting read. Thanks for posting.

Really interesting read. Yhx

Attilio

Very interesting. I saved it and I'm reading it. Thanks

Thumbs up

Yes thanks for that link as its always great to read first hand accounts from those who were involved!

Some really interesting information here, especially the reasons for the ceiling being what it was. i often wondered what made it such and such a height.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Very informative . Thanks for posting!

Hunter's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Terry
    Sorties Flown

Interesting perspective on an aspect of the war and this technology. Until now, I had only Frank Luke's frame of reference regarding observation balloons! Very eye opening and intrigueing. Thank you so much for posting.