Ares Games

Thread: In Remembrance of Winco Kyte.

Default In Remembrance of Winco Kyte.

Following the report in the After Action Forum regarding the demise of Wing Commander Kyte in action over the lines yesterday, I invite you all to the Mess in order to take part in a Wake to his memory. As a mark of respect the G&T bottles will be kept unopened.
    Rob.

Last edited by Flying Officer Kyte; 08-19-2011 at 12:55.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Invitation excepted ,so sad

Yeah, I'll be there(sigh).

Quote Originally Posted by itchy View Post
    Invitation excepted ,so sad
    A sorry day

Sad news indeed! I shall raise a glass or three in his memory.

Sad news I will drink in his memory!

Bad luck old thing.

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Can I have his seat at the bar now?
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Following the report in the After Action Forum regarding the demise of Wing Commander Kyte in action over the lines yesterday, I invite you all to the Mess in order to take part in a Wake to his memory. As a mark of respect the G&T bottles will be kept unopened.
    Rob.

Last edited by gully_raker; 08-20-2011 at 04:40.

Just you see, its all a dream, so it is. He'll do a Bobby and appear in the shower, yes he will. In the shower, yes.

Pass me another G&G dammit!

Invitation excepted, I shall raise a glass in his memory

Attilio

Brutal... A tragedy of epic proportions... I'll bring a few bottles of the really good stuff.
    Last edited by The Cowman; 08-21-2011 at 05:36.
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams

Always the best who go first!

Make mine a double Bunnahabhain 12 year old, please.

Sláinthe!

Why must the best be taken so young? I'll raise a glass or ten

Quote Originally Posted by Guntruck View Post
    Can I have his seat at the bar now?
    I have just opened the sealed package left with me by the Winco to be opened in the event of his falling. in it he expressly mentioned the seat in the corner of the Mess and said that it was in fact bequeathed to Squadron Leader Guntruck as his was the only posterior in the Drome capable of filling it.

Acting Adjutant. Cpt. R. Fanshawe- Bellingham.

Quote Originally Posted by gregUK View Post
    I resemble that remark.
    Rob.

Smile

That is a sad report! How did he get his desk over the front?

Rich

I have just opened the sealed package left with me by the Winco to be opened in the event of his falling. in it he expressly mentioned the seat in the corner of the Mess and said that it was in fact bequeathed to Squadron Leader Guntruck as his was the only posterior in the Drome capable of filling it.

Acting Adjutant. Cpt. R. Fanshawe- Bellingham.
    Well, it was either me or Captain Hugh Jarce
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

He was wearing my second best Sidcot you know,...

And he owed me six shillings!!

Right! Where did he go down? Wheel me out the Camel and a big spade - I'm going to rifle his pockets.

Quote Originally Posted by AlgyLacey View Post
    I'm going to rifle his pockets.
    I'll pocket his rifle.
    Goon, but not forgotten (I believe a certain UK tabloid rag reported sighting him in Tesco only yesterday)

Hunter's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Terry
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by gregUK View Post
    Let me get this straight, he was young? Are we talking about the same guy? So sad. Perhaps we could drop a note to jerry and ask if we could have him back...I mean he's well preserved with the copius amounts of booze he'd imbibed that we could bottle him and put him on the top shelf! Then we could raise a glass to him in remembrance, jus' sayin'. I believe I'll have another!

Just had a request from Lt Willie Walschlager there appears to be a shortage of Gin on the German side of the lines. He is quite concerned about this as until recently there had been plenty.
    Also reports of a Senior British Flying Officer was seen pointing his walking stick at some Corporal saying shave that lip man you'll never be taken seriously with fluff like that.
    Some friends of the Corporal where seen dragging the officer away.
    Must check with Herman G on that one he seems to know that Corporal too.
    Linz

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter View Post
    Let me get this straight, he was young? Are we talking about the same guy? So sad. Perhaps we could drop a note to jerry and ask if we could have him back...I mean he's well preserved with the copius amounts of booze he'd imbibed that we could bottle him and put him on the top shelf! Then we could raise a glass to him in remembrance, jus' sayin'. I believe I'll have another!
    To be honest I was suprised his plane did not burst into flames spontaneously on many occasions.
    Rob.

Smile

Rob!

That was all of our deepest concern!

Rich

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

But I was only speaking to him yesterday ... Don't tell me that we have a real version of this on our hands:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFYxCIr-Byo

You'll be telling me that Avro Vulcan XH560 Is Down next

Can't be, Gad I don't believe it. Someone point me in the direction of up and get this blasted aspidistra off me best corduroy trousers. Well flummax me codswollopers........hold on a minute, then who is it commanding the Boys out in Malta during WW2 then? Tell me that.
    See you on the Dark Side......

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    He'll do a Bobby and appear in the shower, yes he will. In the shower, yes.
    I thought Halloween was last week? Geez, now I won't be able to sleep at work.............

Quote Originally Posted by Linz View Post
    Also reports of a Senior British Flying Officer was seen pointing his walking stick at some Corporal saying shave that lip man you'll never be taken seriously with fluff like that.
    Some friends of the Corporal where seen dragging the officer away.
    Must check with Herman G on that one he seems to know that Corporal too.
    Linz
    Nasty Adolf Schickelgruber going round impersonating a korporal again? Get the feldgendarmerie on him!

OK, which AAR and where. I've looked and can't find it. Is this a joke? (Does this mean we don't have to get the Winco's office back from the RA's?)

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Skafloc View Post
    ........hold on a minute, then who is it commanding the Boys out in Malta during WW2 then? Tell me that.
    Reminds me of one of the things the lads I served with and I used to joke about as we were going on a night out: Whose in command of this show then? Colonel Ingus ...

9 Squadron at RAF Waddington had an even sillier one than us at the time ... Whose dyed their undies (underwear) green then? In case we all get shot down on this one ... (a k a failing to meet any young ladies!)

Anything heading for either Grimsby or Cleethorpes was also known as going On The Mish whereas Lincoln Invasions often involved the snooker club on Silver Street!

HOLY COW PEOPLE!!!

Necro-threads are gonna be the death of me! I just woke up from a nap, and the first thing I did was check my email. I saw that there was a notice about a post entitled: "In Remembrance of Winco Kyte." It was like a bomb went off in my head! I thought... "OMG! Rob died??? NoOoo!" I of course immediately rushed over here to the forums to find out what happened. I did not want to believe it, but i was so sure that it was going to be true that I started to tear up in response to what I knew I was going to find! (Now mind you, I was not thinking about the fact that I was getting a notice about a thread in my e-mail which means of course that it is a thread that is from the past, but more importantly it is a thread inwhich I have already posted!

And so I came to this thread... teary eyed and heart pounding... thinking that my friend Rob was gone, and that I had not really talked with him much in the past half year, while I have been recovering. And of course I see that everything is OK!

So... like I said: Necro-Threads are going to be the death of me! I am glad you are in fact OK Rob. LOL Now to go get some Dewars and slow my heart down...
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams

I notice there has been no reply from the alleged dear departed - we can only assume he's cashed in his insurance and is sunning himself on a dusky beach surrounded by sun drenched maidens.............

OK chaps some Captain from the Observation Corps just south of here has handed me a photograph taken by one of his ballooners.....what do you make of it?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kytes demise.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	312.2 KB 
ID:	180800

I say we take off, with that old Harry Tait in number 1 hanger, fly over and see if we can't spot the WingCo and pick him up. Who's for volunteering?

Quote Originally Posted by The Cowman View Post
    [SIZE=4][COLOR=#b22222]So... like I said: Necro-Threads are going to be the death of me! I am glad you are in fact OK Rob. LOL Now to go get some Dewars and slow my heart down...
    Sorry about that Ken, it was Tonx again, perhaps we should call him Scud from now on - we never know where he's going to land or what damage he'll do !

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Never has so much been created by so many by so few (words that is).

Thumbs up

I say we take off, with that old Harry Tait in number 1 hanger, fly over and see if we can't spot the WingCo and pick him up. Who's for volunteering?
    Captain Triggers will personally lead the recon & rescue flights!

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Sorry about that Ken, it was Tonx again, perhaps we should call him Scud from now on - we never know where he's going to land or what damage he'll do !
    I will also apologise for this spot of necromancy / Scudding but I stumbled upon all this by accident and at first thought What on earth ... I was only talking to the Wingco yesterday??!

It came from looking at Remembrance Sunday in the UK which is a bang up to date thread created two days ago

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Tonx View Post
    But I was only speaking to him yesterday ... Don't tell me that we have a real version of this on our hands:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFYxCIr-Byo

You'll be telling me that Avro Vulcan XH560 Is Down next

Reanimated a 4 year old thread.

Well done.

Seems that the titel: "Thread necromancer of the month" goes to Derbyshire.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cowman View Post
    HOLY COW PEOPLE!!!

Necro-threads are gonna be the death of me! I just woke up from a nap, and the first thing I did was check my email. I saw that there was a notice about a post entitled: "In Remembrance of Winco Kyte." It was like a bomb went off in my head! I thought... "OMG! Rob died??? NoOoo!" ...[/B]
    Exactly my thought, Ken.

Did know that it wasn't Rob himself, but something similar, like: Someone sat down on Kyte's Camel...
    Last edited by Marechallannes; 11-10-2015 at 06:57.
    Voilŕ le soleil d'Austerlitz!

at least it wasn't the aspidistra, cost me a packet to replace that in London when last I was on leave. Bagsie the Chopin records if he don't come back...ah, yes, but we don't have the gramophone anymore do we.

Think the RA's would swap a horse, a free trip to Blighty by air and a duck for a gramophone?

Did know that it wasn't Rob himself, but something similar, like: Someone sat down on Kyte's Camel...

To quote Mark Twain.

"The rumors of my death have been greatly exaggerated."

Some of you with long memories may remember the story of my miraculous escape from my burning aircraft. Being hidden by a beautiful Belgian girl, whilst the Huns thought I had burned with the aircraft. Then my subsequent journey across German held Belgium until I crossed into Neutral Holland, where I was interned until they discovered how much of their Jenever I was consuming. The arranged escape on a canal barge to conserve their supplies, and my voyage across the North sea in a giant wooden clog with only an Edam cheese, a bottle of Pils, twenty Willhelm cigars, and a Soused Herring for company.

Please note that the Newspaper reports were inaccurate when they reported that I was soused in company with a Scouse Herring.

Thank you all for your concern, and the upset that this has caused to Ken.

How do you think I felt when I got up this morning and read this.

I had to pop round to my Dr. to see if I had died in the night without noticing.
    It took several bottles of G&T to calm me down.

Kyte.

Ah....but that took me back to my early days on the forum. Glad to hear that the panic was for naught. I can't imagine what we would do without Rob.

Drink less Gin?

I had to pop round to my Dr. to see if I had died in the night without noticing.
    So what did he say?

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Albert Ross View Post
    So what did he say?
    He probably said something in the general direction of How did Tonx ever make this remarkable discovery?

Answer: Not quite feeling my usual self at the moment - I thought I was a PFC on a search patrol. Hunting Charlie down. It was in the jungle wars of '65 ...

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Drink less Gin?
    He actually said, How long have you been mixing your Gin with Tonx.
    Kyte.

Smile

He actually said, How long have you been mixing your Gin with Tonx.
    Kyte.