Ares Games

Thread: A day out at Fort George

Default A day out at Fort George

Just spent the day at Fort George (Fort George is quite simply the finest example of 18th-century military engineering you’ll find anywhere in the British Isles. This vast garrison fortress was begun in the aftermath of the Battle of Culloden (1746), which crushed the final Jacobite Rising. It took over 20 years to complete and in the event it was never attacked. It remains virtually unaltered today, and still serves as an important military base.) for "Celebration of the Centuries". A display by re-enacters from Roman Legionaries to WW2.

Best bit by far for me was the Me 109 pitfire dogfight.

Worts bit, my camera is rubbish...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hOmmFfY7lw

Found the clip online from saturdays show.

A grand day out, and a fantastic setting. I travel to Banff fairly frequently via Inverness airport and I often head down to the fort to while away the odd hour or two before the flight home.

Watch the video, You'll see it's pretty cool. The oldest Fort I,ve been to to is Fort McHenry. ?Which pretty good for a Cally boy.

Gaz!

That looks like be a great event! You must have enjoyed yourself!

Rich

Amazing video! I was pleased to note the presence of a small group of ancient Romans

Attilio

Enjoyed it almost as much as my 7 year old, who must have had every helmet from every era on his head, plus he got to hold multiple guns. 2 minutes being show how to load and cock a Lee Enfield and he had figured out how to ready everything he got his grubby paws onto!

A very interesting piece of footage. It is interesting seeing it from the punters point of view for a change.
    Glad you had a good time with your family Gaz.
    Thanks.
    Rob.
    P.S. I know the 18th Century Gun Crew.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Awesome video dam so hate that we don't have that sort of thing over here.
    Not PC to refight the Maori wars Anyway it would take a braver man than me to go up against a Maori warrior armed with traditional weapons even in a mock battle.
    Linz

If I could hop the Pond and go right now I would. Looks fantastic!
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams

Footage from the 2015 event.

http://vimeo.com/108004153

My wife and I had planned to go and take part (we are ECW reenactors with the Sealed Knot) but unfortunately we had to change our plans and didn't go but I am glad to hear you enjoyed it and we will try to get to it next year, all being well.

Richard

PS
    The footage of the parachute drop was excellent but the link you put in your first post brings up video not available message
    Last edited by RJB; 10-20-2014 at 02:03.

The Spitfire and Me109 were from 2011

This year we had a Dakota and a SE5A, weather wasn't great on the Sunday though, didn't get any pics as my camera gave up.

Still a few more videos on Youtube, search " Celebration of the Centuries "