Ares Games

Thread: AAR: Ohio Open Tournament - The Soldiery - 8-7-2011 - Part One: DoW Pickup Game

Default AAR: Ohio Open Tournament - The Soldiery - 8-7-2011 - Part One: DoW Pickup Game

Subtitle: The Cowman get shredded into Hamburger - Part One

You may be asking yourself: "Whats this??? Cowman only runs WoW games... and this is a DoW AAR... what is up with that?" (Or you may not...)

Either way, we showed up a little early at the Soldiery in Columbus, Ohio for our Tournament registration, and we had a nice blue tablecloth to play on while we waited on folks to show up and sign in... seemed like the perfect time for a WoW pick-up game.

The players consisted of CappyTom, Jager, The Cowman (me), and TommyZ. We went with a quick and easy 2 on 2 dogfight scenario: Two Zeros vs. two Wildcats. Jager and I took the Zeros, CappyTom and TommyZ took the Wildcats. We played a total of two dogfights, and neither were very pretty for the Japanese aircraft. 4 Zeros and one Wildcat went down over the ocean... and 3 Wildcats went home happy! Here a just a few pics of our short encounters:

This was a busy day, so hopefully I will get most of these captions correct. I believe this is a shot, from our DoW pick-up game, of my Zero burning, after a fly-by with CappyTom's Wildcat.

Tommy-Z plotting my and Jager's demise...

Karl (A.K.A Jager) plotting CappyTom's and TommyZ's demises, while getting very little help from me, as my Zero is fully engulfed in flames by now and is about to separated into its component parts!

...and of course now Jager's Zero is also on fire... as TommyZ and CappyTom line up for the finishing blows...

The 1:1 hand compared to the 1:200 scale aircraft... a bit scary for those teeeny pilots...

Ok... so after Jager went down in flames,, we started Game Two. Here I am on my first pass, taking damage from CappyTom. I of course immediately draw the "Boom" chit. But then again I was needed to finish registration for the WoW tourney, so I guess it was in the "cards" for me...

Jager finished out the second game by going head to head with CappyTom, which ended in the mutual destruction of both planes, and a very decisive and victorious day for the Wildcats. I apologize that I do not have more pictures. As I get more and more acclimated to the DoW rules, I promise to do better!

And so ends this portion of the AAR. Part Two can be found here:

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/showthread.php?5972-AAR-Ohio-Open-Tournament-The-Soldiery-8-7-2011-Part-Two-Round-One&p=84500#post84500

Last edited by The Cowman; 08-14-2011 at 00:53.
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams

Great report and I had a blast too. We are definitely going to have to have a DoW game day.

Thanks for the photos Ken.

Tom

I'm upset that I was sick for this. I'm getting pretty good at DoW.

James I wish you could have made it to the tournament, Mabe you would have absorbed a few of the times I was shot down!!! LOL
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams

That was my very first DoW experience...

It was great flying with you guys!

I don't think I'm ready to take the DoW plunge, but I'm more than willing to play with someone else's planes.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cowman View Post
    James I wish you could have made it to the tournament, Mabe you would have absorbed a few of the times I was shot down!!! LOL
    at least I didn't finish last!.......

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy Z View Post
    That was my very first DoW experience...

It was great flying with you guys!

I don't think I'm ready to take the DoW plunge, but I'm more than willing to play with someone else's planes.
    I've got plenty for you to use. When is that basement going to be open??

Tom

at least I didn't finish last!.......
    Nope... I took care of that for you in glorious fashion!!
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

Quote Originally Posted by CappyTom View Post

Tom
    Working 6 days a week right now (ssssshhhh....I'm actually at work right now). I have a few "projects" around the house to complete. Hopefully in the near future I can set something up. The girlfriend monopolizes most of my free time. (In a good way....in case she reads this)

Working 6 days a week right now (ssssshhhh....I'm actually at work right now). I have a few "projects" around the house to complete. Hopefully in the near future I can set something up. The girlfriend monopolizes most of my free time. (In a good way....in case she reads this)
    LoL

I wish all of my Wildcat vs. Zero dogfights ended like that. Heck, I wish some of my Wildcat vs. Zero dogfights ended up like that!

Great pics BTW. They give a good view of the game.

Tom
    All I have to say, is that if there is basement game going down before I have to move, I want in! I'll even order the Pizza!
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

Looks like a fun time, one question though... Why are all those planes flying straight and level

I can't speak for Tom... since they are his planes. I can say this though. As you can see in the last picture my Zero had the ball bearing attached but there was no ring magnet on the stand, thus I was forced to fly level. It is no wonder I got shot down twice... I blame it all on the equipment!!!!
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

I can't speak for Tom... since they are his planes. I can say this though. As you can see in the last picture my Zero had the ball bearing attached but there was no ring magnet on the stand, thus I was forced to fly level. It is no wonder I got shot down twice... I blame it all on the equipment!!!!
    Sorry guys I had the magnets just didn't use them cause thought there would be some new players and I didn't get them out.

Tom

Ken, if I was you, I would demand a re-fight!

I think I will! I demand a re-match!!!! This time with the PROPER Equipment!!
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

I think I will! I demand a re-match!!!! This time with the PROPER Equipment!!
    Ken are you really going to put yourself through that all over again?

Tom

Ken are you really going to put yourself through that all over again?

Tom
    I refuse to dignify that with a retort... No... wait... I will dignify that with a retort "Sticks and Stones may break my bones... but next time I may just kick your tail all up and down the playmat!!"

How about those apples Captain???
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

I don't know about the apples, but it sounds like you plan on hitting him in the peaches!

Quote Originally Posted by Oberst Hajj View Post
    I don't know about the apples, but it sounds like you plan on hitting him in the peaches!
    O.K. Monday the 22nd up in Toledo at The Game Room time High Noon. Dawn of War with magnets. Be There...and bring your big boy wings

Tom

well I have doctor's appointments spread out all next week... every day of the week, six in total. Gonna make it difficult. And then there is the whole transport issue. Your proposed tail kicking my have to wait buddy!
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"