Ares Games

Thread: Bristol Fighter Pics from the Shuttleworth Collection day.

Exclamation Bristol Fighter Pics from the Shuttleworth Collection day.

G'day All!
    Here are some most interesting pics from the Shuttleworth Collection of their Brisfit.
    Note the RAF Tender with the starting mechinism & the pics of it being used. That was new to me!
    Also a nice close up.
    Boy you Chaps in "Blighty" are spoilt as are our Kiwi Neighbours
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WW1 Brisfit & RAF starting tender.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	100.9 KB 
ID:	20330Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WW1 Brisfit close up Shuttleworth.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	192.2 KB 
ID:	20331Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WW1 Brisfit starting 2.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	193.4 KB 
ID:	20332Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WW1 Brisfit starting 3.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	80.2 KB 
ID:	20333

What a glorious looking machine! Ok, I am sold... I have to aquire a couple of minis now! Guess it is time to start saving up for my Caproni/Brisfit Shapeways purchase! (As if I did not still have enough in my build/repaint queue!)
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams

Flight line equipment. I thought one guy grabbed the prop and looked to the pilot to yell contact and the he tried to turn the prop?

They did, but the The Huck Starter was the "high tech" approach that improved ground crew safety by removing their hands from those nasty spinny things that could remove limbs!

Some more on the starter, culled from a trawl of the 'net.

"The official name was "Starter, aeroplane engine, Hucks, Ford". Hucks was chief test pilot of Aircraft Manufacturing Company in 1917 when he initiated the idea of such a starter. Airco, as the above company became, started producing the starter in 1918, named the Airco Aero Engine Starter. Hucks died in the flu epidemic and they named the starter in honour of him. It's official adaptation by the RAF seems to have been May 1920, after the RAE had tested it."

(PS - for me that was post #321. Do I get a "Dusty Bin" for that? )

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post

"The official name was "Starter, aeroplane engine, Hucks, Ford". Hucks was chief test pilot of Aircraft Manufacturing Company in 1917 when he initiated the idea of such a starter. Airco, as the above company became, started producing the starter in 1918, named the Airco Aero Engine Starter. Hucks died in the flu epidemic and they named the starter in honour of him. It's official adaptation by the RAF seems to have been May 1920, after the RAE had tested it."

No Dave! Too late by a few years. But you do get a dusty answer. Can you do the finger gesture too?
    Kyte.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

I can do several finger gestures

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    No Dave! Too late by a few years. But you do get a dusty answer. Can you do the finger gesture too?
    Kyte.
    Don't remind me of the embarrassment I once had when I got the sequence wrong..........in front of elderly relations!!!!!

Nice pics though - I had never heard of or seen that starter truck before.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cowman View Post
    What a glorious looking machine! Ok, I am sold... I have to aquire a couple of minis now! Guess it is time to start saving up for my Caproni/Brisfit Shapeways purchase! (As if I did not still have enough in my build/repaint queue!)
    Yeh, you and me both, on both counts.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Rabbit 3's Avatar Squadron Leader Scotland.
    Captain

Users Country Flag

Name
    Robert
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by flyingryno View Post
    Flight line equipment. I thought one guy grabbed the prop and looked to the pilot to yell contact and the he tried to turn the prop?
    Trouble is, with a plane like the `Brisfit` it took about four guy`s in a chain to turn the prop to start it.
    Hence this approach.
    Last edited by Rabbit 3; 08-14-2011 at 09:05.

Those are good pictures, Barry, thank you for posting them.

Thumbs up

No David but I will buy you a couple of in the O/Club

Excellent photos.
    A big help in making scratch-builts. I've put them in my file on Brisfits.
    Thanks Barry

Quote Originally Posted by Archidamus View Post
    Don't remind me of the embarrassment I once had when I got the sequence wrong..........in front of elderly relations!!!!!

Nice pics though - I had never heard of or seen that starter truck before.
    "Dusty bin"?
    "Finger gesture"?

Please enlighten. What the h€ck are you talking about?

By the way, nice pictures and thanks for making me aware of the existence of the Huck Starter!

Quote Originally Posted by petitbilbo View Post
    "Dusty bin"?
    "Finger gesture"?

Please enlighten. What the h€ck are you talking about?

By the way, nice pictures and thanks for making me aware of the existence of the Huck Starter!

Have a look here Bilbo.

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgur...ed=0CDEQ9QEwAQ

Rob.

Are you guys being colloquially silly again?
    What's Bilbo going to think of folk on the mighty Isle?

Nothing like this in the colonies.

I give-up!
    You guys are awesome-silly.

A sight you are not going to see again in a hurry - three in a row at Duxford in 2006

One is the Shuttleworth F2B, one is in the Canadian Aviation Museum in Ottawa, not sure about the third....
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
    Are you guys being colloquially silly again?
    What's Bilbo going to think of folk on the mighty Isle?

Nothing like this in the colonies.
    Well, what IS Bilbo going to think of the folk on the mighty Isle?

The thing is that I'm a very strange Belgian: I'm German speaking, I have gravitated for a very long time in and around the French speaking community and have been "flemishized" by my wife and daughter.
    As a German speaking Belgian, I should be interested more in the German culture. I have been for some time, but lost interest a long time ago.
    As a French speaking Belgian, I should be interested in the French culture, but, to be as honest as blunt, I despise it!
    As a Flemish speaking Belgian, I should be mainly interested in the Flemish culture... I won't continue my sentence...

So, since about 20 years, I'm inventing my own "cultural interests" and I chose: the UK!

I read English novels, philosophy, theology (you need to know your enemy), history, my preferred TV shows are all from the BBC, my love for Real Ale and the CAMRA movement is endless, I cannot understand why foreigners think the Brits can't cook and people tell me I have an "English accent" when I speak...
    I find everything British just marvellous and I dream of settling down somewhere either in Edinburgh, Carlisle or even the Isle of Skye.

So, no, I don't think that it is at all possible for me to think less of the Brits, just because of some silly TV show, especially if I have seen much sillier elsewhere...

The thing is that I'm a very strange Belgian: I'm German speaking, I have gravitated for a very long time in and around the French speaking community and have been "flemishized" by my wife and daughter.
    As a German speaking Belgian, I should be interested more in the German culture. I have been for some time, but lost interest a long time ago.
    As a French speaking Belgian, I should be interested in the French culture, but, to be as honest as blunt, I despise it!
    As a Flemish speaking Belgian, I should be mainly interested in the Flemish culture... I won't continue my sentence...

So, since about 20 years, I'm inventing my own "cultural interests" and I chose: the UK!

I read English novels, philosophy, theology (you need to know your enemy), history, my preferred TV shows are all from the BBC, my love for Real Ale and the CAMRA movement is endless, I cannot understand why foreigners think the Brits can't cook and people tell me I have an "English accent" when I speak...
    I find everything British just marvellous and I dream of settling down somewhere either in Edinburgh, Carlisle or even the Isle of Skye.

So, no, I don't think that it is at all possible for me to think less of the Brits, just because of some silly TV show, especially if I have seen much sillier elsewhere...

Well said Bilbo.
    Rob.

Thumbs up

G'day Bilbo, I like your attitude.
    Incidently have you learnt all about CRICKET yet. If you are to become more English you must know about Cricket. Us Aussies can teach you a LOT about the Game but before my UK mates get in----Yes they did Win the Ashes last time.

Just remind me, the no.1 cricket team in the world rankings at the moment is?.........

Just remind me, the no.1 cricket team in the world rankings at the moment is?.........
    For shame Dave. I kept the celebrations on the UK. forum so as not to offend any of our Anzac buddies.
    Oh well now the truth is out! I supose it is OK.

Here you see typical English modesty and quiet reserve in action.

Name:	Winners..jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	29.7 KB 
ID:	20508

Kyte.
    Last edited by Flying Officer Kyte; 08-16-2011 at 00:22.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    For shame Dave. I kept the celebrations on the UK. forum so as not to offend any of our Anzac buddies.
    Oh well now the truth is out! I supose it is OK.

Here you see typical English modesty and quiet reserve in action.

Name:	Winners..jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	29.7 KB 
ID:	20508

Kyte.
    Is that not the pic taken just after the English team heard that F/O Kyte had just shot down the Red Baron AGAIN!!!

Cricket? What does a bug have to do with anything? And why should anyone care?

Remind me: what are the rules of this sport?

Quote Originally Posted by wargamer View Post
    Cricket? What does a bug have to do with anything? And why should anyone care?
    Just because the US National game is Rounders
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

From Wikipedia:
    Rounders is a game played between two teams each alternating between batting and fielding. The game originated in England and has been played there since Tudor times, with the earliest reference being in 1744 in A Little Pretty Pocket-Book where it is called "baseball".[1] It is a striking and fielding team game, which involves hitting a small, hard, leather-cased ball with a round wooden, plastic or metal bat and then running around four bases in order to score.[1][2] The game is popular in Britain and Ireland among school children.[3][4]

Game-play centres around innings where teams alternate at batting and fielding. A maximum of nine players are allowed to field at one time. Points ('rounders') are scored by the batting team by completing a circuit around the field through four bases or posts without being put 'out'.
    And here I was, thinking that baseball was invented in the "Colonies" as a replacement for cricket...

Another thing learned, another day not lost!

Remind me: what are the rules of this sport?

You asked for it Bilbo.

The Rules of Cricket.

You have two sides, one out in the field and one in. Each man that's in the side that's in goes out, and when he's out he comes in and the next man goes in until he's out. When they are all out, the side that's out comes in and the side thats been in goes out and tries to get those coming in, out. Sometimes you get men still in and not out. When a man goes out to go in, the men who are out try to get him out, and when he is out he goes in and the next man in goes out and goes in. There are two men called umpires who stay out all the time and they decide when the men who are in are out. When both sides have been in and all the men have out, and both sides have been out twice after all the men have been in, including those who are not out, that is the end of the game!
    Rob.

Exactly what I was going for...
    (this text has made it around the world at least twice)

Rabbit 3's Avatar Squadron Leader Scotland.
    Captain

Users Country Flag

Name
    Robert
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Guntruck View Post
    A sight you are not going to see again in a hurry - three in a row at Duxford in 2006

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/att...9&d=1313428951

One is the Shuttleworth F2B, one is in the Canadian Aviation Museum in Ottawa, not sure about the third....
    I think no 3 was this Kiwi owned example
    http://www.airplane-pictures.net/image147607.html
    (Sigh) That photo looks like WoW played at 1/1 scale!

They are both great pictures. Thanks for posting them chaps.
    Rob.

Hunter's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Terry
    Sorties Flown

Rounders? Where is Abner Doubleday when you need him?

Thanks for the Brifit pics. Like the info on the Huck Starter.