Ares Games

Thread: Origins: the phrase "The balloon has gone up," and more

Default Origins: the phrase "The balloon has gone up," and more

What's this about:
    An Aerodrome member's post by this title made me wonder where the phrase originated, so I researched it a bit. I thought it'd be fun to start thread of "origins" posts to collect the history of aviation-related phrases in one place. Really it's for anyone finds this as fascinating as I do.

Feel free to add to this thread and build our historical knowledge base! If you can include the source, please do.

"The balloon is going up."
    --Military slang from World War I.

From http://www.nytimes.com/1991/02/03/ma...-war-words.htm

The balloon in question was set aloft by British artillerymen in 1915 to notify gunners along the line to commence firing; the easily seen visual signal was more reliable than rudimentary methods of courier or telephone (although the sound of one gun might have been a sufficient signal to the other artillery teams).

And from numerous online sources. Unable to confirm exact site of origin.

"When the balloon goes up is a phrase used to imply impending trouble. This relates to the use of observation balloons in the first World War. The sight of such a balloon going up nearly always resulted in a barrage of shells following soon after. The expression was re-inforced during WWII when the hoisting of barrage balloons was part of the preparations for an air raid."

Yes indeed James. I am afraid some of us are old enough to know what the original meaning was.
    Kyte.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."