Ares Games

Thread: Models to expand the deluxe box

graydebowen

Default Models to expand the deluxe box

I have just bought the deluxe set (1 of each series 1 plane type; 4 in all) from Stafford Games. I would like advice on what I might move on to without buying one of everything. I am tempted to add 1 more of 2 of the included planes and perhaps a twin engine or 2 to add some variety in game play (a 4 plane total purchase). I should like to stick with British and German pilots. I do not wish to buy into a plane model that is historically obscure or a poor performer. It would also be nice to stick within the same time period.

I have looked through the downloads and note that all the specs are available, plus a timeline of service dates for the planes. I have played the game before but it has been late at night and I was not paying attention so would not trust myself to make a good call on what to get. I am also unsure of how well the bits in the box will scale to handling more planes. Are there enough of the right cards for example?

In summary what would be a sensible second purchase for more variety in 2-player or solo games?

If I recall right, that means you have a: Camel, Dr1, Alb DVa & Spad XIII.
    To that good additions would be a 2 seater for each side: a RE-8 for the allies and a Roland for the Germans.
    Good Scouts to add to go earlier are the Alb D III for the Germans and Neiuport 17 for the allies (I think they have a British one.) Another Good Scout is the Fokker D VII for later war which is a good rival for the Spad XIII.

There are no multi engine aircraft released yet.

Pooh

Eserchie

Quote Originally Posted by graydebowen View Post
    I have looked through the downloads and note that all the specs are available, plus a timeline of service dates for the planes. I have played the game before but it has been late at night and I was not paying attention so would not trust myself to make a good call on what to get. I am also unsure of how well the bits in the box will scale to handling more planes. Are there enough of the right cards for example?

In summary what would be a sensible second purchase for more variety in 2-player or solo games?
    Get a pair of two seaters, one for each side.
    The minis come with their own manouver decks, so you don't need to worry about the box not having enough cards, espescialy with the deluxe sets supply of damage decks.

After the two seaters, perhaps add some of the late, impressive planes (snipe, fokker D.VII)

or just whichever Ace you like.

Users Country Flag

Name
    David
    Sorties Flown

Of course two seaters (be careful with the Manfred two seater cause only have the rear gun), and I like the Fokker D.VII and the Sopwith Snipe fighters too.

Just go on and get them all. You know you will.

Funny, Grayde never posted again after this one. I wonder how he made out...?

Hunter's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Terry
    Sorties Flown

MIA?

Similar Missions

1. Review: Dawn of War Deluxe Set
    By Oberst Hajj in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 01-27-2015, 21:09
  2. Playing without buying a box?