Ares Games

Thread: How to cast a Parseval-Sigsfeld balloon in foam

Default How to cast a Parseval-Sigsfeld balloon in foam

This is how I made myself a German Parseval-Sigsfeld observation balloon from scratch. The balloon itself is made of polyurethane foam, the rigging from iron wire and the basket from an eraser. I am pretty happy with the result, even if the foam surface is rather coarse och full of small holes and "craters".

And a question: How do you make "How to" articles?

--------

Attachment 19737
    Attachment 19736

First make your model of the balloon. I made mine from a paper tube (from a toilet paper roll), two lightbulbs that fitted perfectly into the ends of the tube, covered it with a thin layer of polymer clay.

Attachment 19733

Lastly I attached the "sail" made from clay.

Attachment 19728

After the clay hardened (my clay made to harden in the oven after 10 minutes at 100 degrees Celsius), I covered it with petroleum jelly and put the balloon on its side in a plastic box filled halfway with plaster, so that exactly half of the balloon was submerged. After the plaster dried I covered the top area of it with petroleum jelly and filled the rest of the box with plaster so that it completely covered the balloon. Put something in the same diameter as the tube from the bottle of foam you are going to use on top of the ballon so that it creates a canal for the foam to enter the mold After the plaster dried I took the mold out of the box and split it in half. Take out the balloon model, clean the mold if needed and use petroleum jelly on all mold surfaces.

Attachment 19735

I put the halves back together and taped it firmly so that it wouldn't part when filled with foam.

Attachment 19727

I filled the mold with foam through the canal I made. It will spill over a lot, so be on a plastic bag or something similar.

Attachment 19725

Mold split open with a finished cast.

Attachment 19730

Cast cleaned up. This is my second balloon, that will be painted yellow. I cut off a couple of centimeters of the handle from a small paint brush that fitted in the balloon altitude pegs and attached it to the balloon.

Attachment 19732

Iron wire used for the rigging.

Attachment 19724

Rigging glued together using super glue.

Attachment 19729

Balloon basked shaped from an eraser.

Attachment 19726
    Attachment 19734

Basket attached to the rigging.

Attachment 19723

Rigging painted.

Attachment 19731

"Sails" attached to the balloon and markings added.

Attachment 19721
    Attachment 19722

Balloon in German service, attacked by the Entente!

------

/Jörgen

Really nice outcome! Great creativiy with simple materials

Attilio

Ingenious my friend.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Quick, Easy, mostly painless ( I would end up chopping off a thumbtip somewhere in the process... just ask around...) and alakazam... its a Drachen!
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams

Nicely done, model and article both.

Excellent model, this is a really useful post.

This just made the top of my list with "future projects"!

Fantastic!

Rep sent!

Thumbs up

Well done Jorgen! Very creative.

Thanks guys!

I learned a lot doing this first balloon, so I think the second one could be a lot better. Looking for something that makes the surface smoother and more even, and I'll probably modify the rigging. It is difficult to see how the rigging is sorted on the photos, and to descide what ropes to keep and what to omit.

/Jörgen

Default How do I post a "How To"-article?

I would like to have permission to post this in the "How to" section. How do I do that? I've tried the faq, but to no avail.

Quote Originally Posted by Wombat View Post
    I would like to have permission to post this in the "How to" section. How do I do that? I've tried the faq, but to no avail.
    PM the Herr Oberst.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Looks great.
    Nice how to instructions.
    As to making it smoother i wonder whether you could put a thin layer of plaster of paris on it. You could then sand it smooth.
    Linz

Quote Originally Posted by Linz View Post
    Looks great.
    Nice how to instructions.
    As to making it smoother i wonder whether you could put a thin layer of plaster of paris on it. You could then sand it smooth.
    Linz
    You'll find any number of pore-filling coatings in DIY shops.

Great job! Technique is very similiar to resin casting, but using plaster, it probably costs 1/4 as much!

Quote Originally Posted by Wombat View Post
    I'll probably modify the rigging.
    You might want to try using nylon bristles from a yard broom for rigging the next one. Easier to work with than wire. Great paint job though, really makes the model stand out

Stuart: You might want to try using nylon bristles from a yard broom for rigging the next one. Easier to work with than wire.
    I kind of like the wire, as it makes the construction rigid. More control of what you are doing.

Bilbo: You'll find any number of pore-filling coatings in DIY shops.
    I'll try a rubbery filling glue that I found. That would keep the flexibility of the balloon body.

/Jörgen