Ares Games

Thread: WW1 pic of Vimy Ridge defences.

Exclamation WW1 pic of Vimy Ridge defences.

G'day again Chaps & Ladies!
    This pic is believed to have been taken of the Vimy Ridge area the day before the Canadian Attack.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vimy Ridge Trench System.JPG 
Views:	129 
Size:	140.9 KB 
ID:	18502

I haven.t read about Vimy eidge yet. Dare I ask what happen to the Canadians when they did assault it.

They took it and held it.

It is amazing how much of a mess the areas became, deciphering the photos must have been one hell of a job.

Thx for sharing it, Barry. Like a lunar landscape.

Attilio

What gets me is the work that must have had to be done after the war in destroying (as much as possible) the vast ammounts of unexploded ordinance!

Lots is still there, from both wars. Heck, their still finding unexploded shells at US Civil War sites. And sometime in the early 90s, a fishing boat sank on the East Coast because their net hauled up a WW2 torpedo.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Rabbit 3's Avatar Squadron Leader Scotland.
    Captain

Users Country Flag

Name
    Robert
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    What gets me is the work that must have had to be done after the war in destroying (as much as possible) the vast ammounts of unexploded ordinance!
    But did they? I kind of get the impression that what happened was that once the war was over the various armies just filled in a few dugouts then cleared off home.
    Leaving the locals to clear up as best they could, apparently people are STILL turning up unexploded ordinance from WWI battlefields on such a regular basis that it hardly ever gets remarked upon in France or Belgium.

rotundor

When I visited Vimy last year, they have specifically marked trails that have been cleared of UXO that you are allowed to walk on. It seemed like the standard for most of the WW1 sites that haven't been developed.

Also, since they cannot get lawn mowers and such onto much of the grounds, they let sheep graze on the grass to keep in in check.

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit 3 View Post
    But did they? I kind of get the impression that what happened was that once the war was over the various armies just filled in a few dugouts then cleared off home.
    Leaving the locals to clear up as best they could, apparently people are STILL turning up unexploded ordinance from WWI battlefields on such a regular basis that it hardly ever gets remarked upon in France or Belgium.
    I've watched the series Battlefield Detectives, and whenever they visit WWI sites they are always turning up loads of unexploded ordnance - bullets, shells, even IIRC some dmolition charges in an old engineers' tunnel.

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit 3 View Post
    As a matter of fact we have an entire military organisation that has a full-time job clearing ordnance that still turns up on a regular basis. There's a lot of ammo left from WWII but in the fields around Ypres and such WWI ammunition still frequently turns up when farmers plough there fields. The people there are so used to it that they instinctively do the right thing:stop all work and run away to call DOVO ( cfr military organisation )