Ares Games
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This thread is dedicated to spirits... and I ain't talkin' 'bout poltergeists...

Default This thread is dedicated to spirits... and I ain't talkin' 'bout poltergeists...

Having worked in the bar business for a good portion of the 20+ years I was able to work before becoming disabled, I learned a little bit about alcohol. Mostly about its effects on Country music loving redneck dancers... but that is another story!

I am interested in fine spirits. Good Whiskey, Outstanding Scotch, etc... I know little about it, but it seems that we have many a member here with knowledge on the subject...

I have therefore started this thread to allow for the discussion of the finer points of the good stuff. Comparisons... Histories... Homebrew Recipe's...(J/K... don't want the revenuers coming after me!)

Seriously, I am very curious and would like advice on what would be good to sample, to have on hand for super special occasions... etc...

Since I worked in a large country bar, most of what we sold was American made and cheap so as to increade the profit margin... I did once get to sample some really top,top shelf $100 per bottle Jack Daniels... was pretty incredible stuff (we sold it for $10.00 a shot) and some reallly good top shelf Tequilas... but I am the Amateur here in this subject... let us hear from the experts. (Members 21 and under should avoid this thread like the plague...)

Post away please!
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams

Well IMHO, whiskey gets better the further west you go; Irish is much smoother than Scotch, but nowhere near as smooth as a good American bourbon

Then again, my preference is for Rum. Proper dark rum that is, not that girly white stuff!

At last a serious thread.
    A vote for bourbon, here.
    Tastes best after a daily mission.

Quote Originally Posted by Albert Ross View Post
    Well IMHO, whiskey gets better the further west you go; Irish is much smoother than Scotch, but nowhere near as smooth as a good American bourbon
    Following that logic have you tried Japanese Whiskey?

What else could I say. Dutch Gin. Jonge or Oude Jenever. Chill in the fridge before drinking, and do not add any other substances to it, including tonic.
    Try to avoid nursing the glass in your hand as the warming effect kills the flavour.
    Other than that, Gordons and Tonic with ice and Lemon is second best, but for RNAS. officers it must be Pink Gin.
    Kyte.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Quote Originally Posted by Stormkahn View Post

Yep! As a matter of fact, I have one bottle of Yamasaki 10 Years in my collection of 32 different whisk(e)ys.
    It's on par with the best Scottish ones !

<brag mode off>

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    What else could I say. Dutch Gin. Jonge or Oude Jenever. Chill in the fridge before drinking, and do not add any other substances to it, including tonic.
    Try to avoid nursing the glass in your hand as the warming effect kills the flavour.
    Other than that, Gordons and Tonic with ice and Lemon is second best, but for RNAS. officers it must be Pink Gin.
    Kyte.
    Did you know that Gin is actually a trial to reproduce Genever that's gone wrong?
    Here in Belgium we have the capital of genever in Hasselt, the place where this booze has been invented...

I'm very partial to G&T, but what's Pink Gin?

For me its Kings's Crest 25 year old Blended Scotch whiskey or Drumguish single malt both distilled by The Speyside Distillery

My fav after Wine is of course Brandy and Port.
    No surprises there huh!
    Linz

I have been a rum drinker all my life some were pure nectar like the dark rum issued to the Gurka's back in the 70's it was that thick you could stand a spoon up in it, to the most dicusting types orginating in Centeral America where the locals drank a poor quality white rum with condence milk for gods sake. but all this was changed over 36 year ago when I had my first drink of Bunderberg Rum which as any Queenslander will tell you is the nectar of the Gods I have never drunk any other rum since. For those of you from outside of Queensland who have the oppertunity to try some do so, but be warned you will never want to drink any other rum again!

I am with Linz on this one, Brandy all the way Once you get to XO and above its pure heaven in a glass!

Now I will have to try some of these. I enjoy rum and gin...not together.
    Thanks for the name brands as I will look for them, Bunderberg Rum and Jonge or Oude Jeneve gin, at the local liquor store. Yes here in Ohio you have to buy booze at a booze state run store. You can buy watered down stuff at the local grocery stores.

Tom

Mostly I like rum , dark or amber . Scotch single malts , irsh single malts as to brands every one has there own fave. Good pussers rum issued to RN, RCN etc. back in the 60's
    Last edited by grumpybear; 08-02-2011 at 03:54.

I don't like Scotch, I have tried obviously, single malts, expensive stuff, blended, it all tastes pretty raw to me. However my all time favourite is Canadian Club after I was given a freebie by some Yank in the Moons Plaza Hotel in Bahrain at the tender age of 17 while doing my bit for the Empire.

Next in line, especially in the summer is Bombay Sapphire Gin and tonic, lime not lemon. Got to keep the Lancashire mosquitoes away.

Then occassionally I will have some Havana Club, whether No3, No7 or Especial (pronounced with a lisp).

Off topic but something I always wonder about is, why on TV and in films does no one ever ask for a mixer? Girls, teenagers, grizzled detectives, spys, cowboys, old women et al drink their spirits neat and never pull the whiskey face! No one ever says "splash of water in mine mate" or "got any ginger ale hanging about?"

When I go stronger than beer (and there are some pretty strong beers out there), I like a shot of single malt whiskey, usually Glenlivet. I;m also quite partial to ports, actually drinking them mostly before dicovering good beer (the microbrew and craft beer industry kicking in high gear in the early 90s). Warre's is my favorate, the Warrior porto tops. Grahams 6 grape and Cockburns very good too.
    I won't touch the "white" spirits: Vodka rum et al, but surprisingly will do an occasional Long Island Ice tea: 1 part each vodka, gin, white rum, triplesec, 2 parts coke and a squeeze of lemon. Tastes just like sweet tea. Had them in the bar that invented it on "The Island" when I was going to college.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Quote Originally Posted by CappyTom View Post
    Yes here in Ohio you have to buy booze at a booze state run store. You can buy watered down stuff at the local grocery stores.
    Tom
    Actually, many grocery stores now have liquor licences: the tricky thing for them (us) is that the State owns the liquor until you sell it, then you settle up sales accounts every day at 5PM. The stores must be extra careful about theft and damages, and must document everything. And don't make alot of money off the direct sales (3-5%). The profit is in the other things the lushes...er valued customers buy along with the boose.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Remnant of the 1920ies? Prohibition?

And what's the deal with booze "hidden" in paper bags you see in films and tv series?

And what is "Pink Gin"?

Never mind the previous question: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pink_Gin
    Sorry!

I am an avid beer drinker who also enjoys gin (Bombay Sapphire) and aquavit (wife is part Scandinavian) in the summer. I have a lot of friends who are big scotch and rum drinkers but I just don't seem to have a taste for those particular spirits. A good buddy bought me a bottle of 15 y.o. El Dorado rum for birthday which I am sure I'll have for a while .

When I want to remember the good times stationed in Germany, I like my Asbach & Coke. Asbach Uralt being a German Brandy.

When I drink something besides beer, I usually go for whiskey. Scotch to me is a cold weather drink, so during the summer I tend to stick to Irish and Canadian whiskeys. I keep some of the usual suspects on hand, Jameson, Tullamore Dew, Bushmills and John Powers for Irish; Canadian Club, VO and Crown Royal for Canadians. There is a Jameson 12 yr old that I really like. Also, the 12 yr old Canadian Club Classic is real good, and not terribly expensive. Crown Royal Cask No. 16 is good, about $50 US for a fifth, this is whiskey that is aged in cognac casks. Tasty! I have some blended Scotches on hand, although Chivas is the only one that I drink. I prefer the single malts, and I haven't found a bad one yet. Something nice and warm on cold nights!

I like Bourbon,Whiskey,Ale, beer of all types. During my renfair days lots of John Courage and Anchor Steam. During my days of USMC a lot of beer (any). My youth I drank Vodka, Shine, some home brew, red mountain, boone farm, guess that's why I can't stand wine now. My favorite drink is a salty dog or gray hound. Tipping the bottle was all ways a good

Yea here's to the good times.

Quote Originally Posted by Belis4rius View Post
    I don't like Scotch, I have tried obviously, single malts, expensive stuff, blended, it all tastes pretty raw to me. However my all Off topic but something I always wonder about is, why on TV and in films does no one ever ask for a mixer? Girls, teenagers, grizzled detectives, spys, cowboys, old women et al drink their spirits neat and never pull the whiskey face! No one ever says "splash of water in mine mate" or "got any ginger ale hanging about?"
    It is because the cold tea which passes for booze on TV sets, tastes even worse with a mixer in it George.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Don't drink that much, but I have acquired a taste for good Japanese Plum Wine

Generally a cider drinker though (over here, cider is alcoholic in varying degrees).

I have a Maccallans 25 year old. If the 21 is anything to go by its gonna be soooo MSooooth! not enough oo's. Its an expensive bottle. Need a great occasion to open it.

No, but I've tried Chinese whiskey - which was almost as bad as French rum

Quote Originally Posted by von Klauser View Post
    When I want to remember the good times stationed in Germany, I like my Asbach & Coke. Asbach Uralt being a German Brandy.
    Ahhhh the good stuff! I remember bring home a bottle for my Dad back in the 70's; he gave it away as a club raffle prize two years later (shakes head in disbelief)

Quote Originally Posted by petitbilbo View Post
    Remnant of the 1920ies? Prohibition?
    Partly so, but mostly to keep the profit in the states coffers. Though the current Administration seems bent on selling off everything to his buiness buddies, including the State Liquor Agency

Quote Originally Posted by Archidamus View Post
    Don't drink that much, but I have acquired a taste for good Japanese Plum Wine

Generally a cider drinker though (over here, cider is alcoholic in varying degrees).
    Ah yes, you Brits make very good cider. I've enjoyed Strongbow and Blackthorn (can't get the latter anymore). No doubt you keep better ones at the home pubs
    Karl

Quote Originally Posted by CappyTom View Post
    Now I will have to try some of these. I enjoy rum and gin...not together.
    That's because you've never tried it! Once a year, I make a huge jug of Artillery Punch for our St. Barbara's day celebrations. This is not for the faint hearted; serves 200 guests and the local police squad. Not a good idea to serve at the Church social. http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/ente...lery_punc.html

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    Ah yes, you Brits make very good cider. I've enjoyed Strongbow and Blackthorn (can't get the latter anymore). No doubt you keep better ones at the home pubs
    Karl
    Well, I like Strongbow as well, and Bulmers - then there's Magners (Irish brew). Of course, for the real rot-gut you need West Country scrumpy brews (see wiki if you've never heard of scrumpy).

Strongbow? Bulmers? Magners? Yuck, you all need some educating: http://www.camra.org.uk/page.aspx?o=100281

Quote Originally Posted by von Klauser View Post
    I have a funny story about Asbach Uralt:
    Two Flemish speaking Belgian soldiers in Germany go into a bar.
    They order a bier and start drinking it while discussing whatever the topic was.
    One of the two want to light a cigarette (remember, it's in the 70ties) and, noticing that there's no ashtray, signals the waiter.
    Not knowing the German word for ashtray (Aschenbecher), he uses his native word.
    The waiter comes back with a brandy.
    So, the guy asks a second time for his ashtray and... gets a brandy!
    After the third time, he uses his hands (and presumably his feet too) to get the message to the waiter and gets his ashtray.

The Dutch word for ashtray is 'asback'...

<Barney Stinson mode on>True story!<Barney Stinson mode off>

@Bob: where have you been stationed? I'm an army brat and my father was in Lüdenscheidt (where I was born) and later in Cologne.

Last edited by petitbilbo; 08-02-2011 at 12:35.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Cow View Post
    Strongbow? Bulmers? Magners? Yuck, you all need some educating: http://www.camra.org.uk/page.aspx?o=100281
    CAMRA RULES! (I even own some of their books!)

Each and every time I get to the UK, I follow the following rule: get in as many "real ale" pubs and have a pint of ALL real ales they serve!
    Just for my own records, I then photograph the tap-shield (or whatever the thingy with the name of the beer is called) and, of course, get asked questions.
    I invariably get offered ALL the unused 'beer-name-thingies' that they still have lying around. Now I have about 50 of them...

By the way: I've praised American beer on this forum, but I cannot let the chance get by to do the same about British Real Ale!
    I adore it! Full stop!

Default Yikes... this thread gew quickly!

...and obviously the tastes and opinions of our experts here are quite varied... it is going to take me a while to keep sorting this out... but please don't stop!
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams

I don't disagree about the branded bottled ciders - which is why I visit Devon & Cornwall every year (well, that and astronomy from some really dark sky sites).

Well, I'd love to be educated, but I'll bet the stuff doesn't traval well or at all, esp. across the pond

Karl

Exclamation

Did you know that Gin is actually a trial to reproduce Genever that's gone wrong?
    Here in Belgium we have the capital of genever in Hasselt, the place where this booze has been invented...

I'm very partial to G&T, but what's Pink Gin?

As far as I know Bilbo its Gin with a dash of Bitters but F/O Kyte is the Gin Expert so I am sure he willl confirm or not!

Thumbs up

Well I must admit to having drunk a fair bit of good Mescal with the Worm in my younger days but I am really a Wineophile. We do make great Wines here in Australia & at good prices too. Still I like those NZ Marlborough Savignon Blancs but an aged Hunter Valley Semillion is very hard to beat as is a Hunter Sharaz. However I must admit I have grown to like a good Scotch or Irish Whisky. Cant afford those Single Malt Scotches but would if I could.

And what is "Pink Gin"?

A typical pink gin is one part gin and one dash of angostura bitters. It's consumed by officers of the Royal Navy and sundry other such disreputable types.

Why do I even look at your threads Ken?

Quote Originally Posted by Aero825 View Post
    It's like eating peanuts, you can't stop

Buy the largest jar of maraschino cherries you can find. Drain off 2/3 of the liquid. Replace with everclear (190 proof) let stand for a month or so. Add one to your favorite drink. Be carefull they can hurt you.
    Tony

Quote Originally Posted by pflanzer View Post
    Buy the largest jar of maraschino cherries you can find. Drain off 2/3 of the liquid. Replace with everclear (190 proof) let stand for a month or so. Add one to your favorite drink. Be carefull they can hurt you.
    Tony
    Oooohhhhh, the first thing we told incoming freshmen at college: never eat the fruit in the swampwater!
    If we're going this far over the edge: Some people I know used to imbibe a drink called Handgrenade 50% everclear, 50% medicinal glucose (sugar water for intravenious use). Since the glucose is easily absorbed by the inner tissues (stomach, mouth etc), and the everclear hitches a ride in.......

Karl

I'm quite fond of all sorts of spirits, straight and in cocktails.
    Mostly, I turn to Whiskey or Rum.
    In Whiskeys I have a long term relationship with Laphroaigh and an even longer one with Glenfiddich - They're quite different, so the get along fine (the former rich, the latter mild). There are other Speyside Whiskeys I like, Aberlour and Glendronach to name a couple (bought a bottle Balvenie just now and am looking forward to giving it a go after dinner) - and then there are, of course, the other Islay brands…

In Rums I mostly go with the dark ones if not in a cocktail. Havana Club's a favorite. Pussers not half bad either, but it's not sold over here for some reason.

/Niclas

I have a bottle of Black ("Smoky & Mellow") from Nikka Whiskey Distilling Co. Ltd. in my liquor cabinet. It doesn't get much airtime.

@Bob: where have you been stationed? I'm an army brat and my father was in Lüdenscheidt (where I was born) and later in Cologne.

While I was in Germany I was at Bad Kissingen with the 11th ACR. While there I took a little side trip to Kuwait. Man, that was 20 yrs ago. But back to drinks, on R&R in Bahrain on board the "Loveboat"(It was a cruise ship docked for R&R use) I was introduced to the mixed drink. Blue Hawaiian and Planters Punch being the first 2.

Do you think Kamikazzes will effect my flying?

Quote Originally Posted by Aero825 View Post
    Ouch... that was kinda harsh there mister... I think my feelings have been hurt... Besides, there was a sign at the door that said 21 and over... Now I'll be dragged to the hoosegow for contributing to the deliquency of a junior pilot...
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

Well guys my favorite drink is Captain Morgan and coke. It always treats me nice all night and never gives me pain in the morning. Maybe cause I don't drink the whole bottle in one sitting.

Tom

Simple American, Single Barrel Jack Daniels, sippin whiskey straight up, no ice, no water, two fingers worth.
    Just talking about it, I have to go get a drink. Not water, because as W.C. Fields says, fish do it in water.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast