Ares Games

Thread: F-Toys Barraca

Default F-Toys Barraca

Today got my grubby little mitts on the last two F-toys models.
    The goring DII and the Spad VII Baracca

Nice serrated tail, looks great, prancing horse on the port side, saves me trying to make one for a re-paint. looked at starboard side to find a decal of a Griffon rampant, I believe it is called, is this correct?
    I was expecting a prancing horse on both sides. All the pics I have seen seem to show the port side with horse, I just assumed it was same both sides. Being an F-toy model thee is a sheet showing the model, but in Japaneese and I no idea what it says.
    Would really appreciate some assistance here chaps

Wings palette has a picture that seems to support the F-Toys

That's very pretty Chris - is that the Baraccas SWMBO on the starboard side ?!!
    Ospreys SPAD VII Aces of WW1 colour plates tally with the different port & starboard decals if that helps.

"He is wise who watches"

Cheers Dave, yes got that as well, just wanted to see if others knew any different

Hi Chris,
    the different decal on side are corrects. The griffon was the 91 squadron's insigna ad the horse was the personal insigna.
    The horse was the insigna of 2ş Reggimento "Piemonte Reale Cavalleria" were Baracca served before transfer to the Air Service.
    Probably the original color was red on botht the emblems. Black color was taken by his comrades after his death as a sign of grief. But this is not officially confirmed and remains a small mystery ....

Enrico

Chris, a really nice minis. A great job!

I collect some historical info about Baracca's SPAD XIII planes only to share among us.

According with profiles appendix of the the "The Aces of the Italian Air Force In the First World War" book published by the Historical Office of Italian Air Force (Gli Assi dell'Aviazione Italiani nella Grande Guerra) the "yellow livery" (profile n. 63) was adopted on the SPAD XIII S7206 from October 1917 to February 1918.

It was the first SPAD XIII in Italy and assigned to the commander of the 91 squadron Francesco Baracca. He flight with it alternately to the SPAD 7. Baracca did a crash-landing with it on October , 25 1917 hitting by a enemy two seater (Baracca shoot down it)

This plane, repaired after the crash-landing, was seriously damaged on February, 22 1918 in its hangar during an enemy night bombing.

In a extant photo there were only the the roundels, there ins't the rampant horse (no date quoted, so it could be paint later)

About he Greif was a sign adopted by the 91 squadron in 1918 About its presence on the right side of Baracca's plane, painted with French five bands camouflage colors (profile n. 63) , there are known photos and the declaration of General Ranza but it's not totally sure.

The greif is painted also on the left side of the fuselage of the sergeant Guido Nardini SPAD XIII (profile n. 65) with big roman digits between the greif and the tail along the fuselage. There the same digits over the fuselage in the same ubication of the greift

The same schema for Captain Bartolomo Costantini (profile n.76). You can find Costiantini's schema also as profile n 32 in Osprey's Italian Aces of World War I book.

Attilio
    Last edited by Attila57; 08-15-2011 at 04:49.

Historical into apart, your miniature and these photo (the SPAD exhibited in the Baracca museum) are really identical!

Attilio & Enrico thank you both for the extra information and confirmation, I am a happier teddy bear now cheers mateys.
    You have also made me look into a couple more repaints.
    I hope to come and visit my brother who works in Rome soon so if you are in the vacinity I will stand you both a proper vino

About the Grifos in a web site I found suggested by Guido Keller one of the pilot of 91° (already in 1917?).

A rampant red Grifon is in the coat of arms of the Italian Air Force (this is the official version from 1971) in remembrance of 91 Squad.

In the same coat of arms a chimeric winged quadruped with a torch is in remenbrance of X Squad Farman (1913), later 27 Squad. A "quatrefoil" is in remenbrance of 10° (Caproni bombers), the "Lion of St. Marco" is in remenbrance of 87 Squad "Serenissima".
    Last edited by Attila57; 08-15-2011 at 08:38.

Quote Originally Posted by Boney10 View Post
    Attilio & Enrico thank you both for the extra information and confirmation, I am a happier teddy bear now cheers mateys.
    You have also made me look into a couple more repaints.
    I hope to come and visit my brother who works in Rome soon so if you are in the vacinity I will stand you both a proper vino
    I will be honored to meet you if possible, Chris!
    And and I hope also to meet Enrico!

Attilio

I've seen their stuff on line> It looks very nice. I don't think that is a regulation base for WoW thought. How do change it to a WoW base. Still vey nice plane.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingryno View Post
    I've seen their stuff on line> It looks very nice. I don't think that is a regulation base for WoW thought. How do change it to a WoW base. Still vey nice plane.
    I used a drill to drill out the slot in the fuselage and put in a plastic rod piece to make it compatable.
    however I am now toying with an idea of converting a litko base to use the f-toys base and its swivel top.
    Will post when its complete

I have found all this information very useful as i am just finishing a repaint of Ruffo's Spad XIII. Italian Aces suggests a Griffon on the right of his plane but I have no view of this. Would Costantini's be the same? If so I can lift it from the book.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

I found this wonderful photo of the left side of Ruffo's SPAD VII at the Air Force Historical Museum in Vigna di Valle

I didn't find a picture of the same side of his SPAD XIII (I have also a nice book about Fulco Ruffo di Calabria)

The skull, like the Griffon of Costantini, was highlighted with a white colored portion below to make it more visible (to the opponents, I suppose) Nardini's Griffon was on mimetic camouflage.

I suppose that during 1918 all the SPAD XIII of 91° Squad have the Griffon on the left side.

Baracca had also the Griffon with a white colored portion below in 1918 but it's impossible to suppose or not the same for Ruffo without any evidence.

Another difference is the roman digits There weren't on Ruffo and Baracca SPAD aolong or over the fuselage.

Attilio

Nice work as usual there maestro.
    I knew you would come up with the goods.
    Thanks.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingryno View Post

Here is my conversion from F-Toy base to WoW

I found at this link:

http://www.modellismopiu.it/modules/...9155&forum=114

a photo of Baracca's SPAD with Baracca and other pilots sit behind it. I think the second pilot from the left could be Ruffo or Ranza

The Griffon of Baracca plane is on a white colored portion of the fuselauge. I found th same photo with other interesting pics at this link:

http://www.google.it/imgres?q=ruffo+...=1812&bih=1078

There's a good pic of Costantini's SPAD (the III Roman number identified his plane) with the Griffon in the white coloured portion (Today I found in Osprey - Aircraft of the Aces n.047 - SPAD XII-XIII Aces of World War 1 a Griffon yellow coloured portion on the right side for his plane, for example!)

and a livery of Fulco's SPAD I have some doubt of it (where are the roundels on the sides?) but the yellow (?) on the right side could be the coloured portion with the Griffon (perhaps too close to the cockpit).

But as Sherlock Holmes suggested in "Scandal in Bohemia":

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before you have all the evidence.It biases the judgment."

Last edited by Attila57; 08-16-2011 at 09:44.

This is a flying replica of the SPAD XIII Baracca.
    It is located in a small museum on the river Piave.
    On the website of the museum are also visible on the video maiden flight in 2008 (90 anniversary of the death of the ace Italian)
    http://www.museodelpiavevincenzocolo...icle.php?id_a=

I visited it two weeks ago.

Attachment 20563Attachment 20564

This is all very useful to me gentlemen. I should be able to post my version tomorrow.
    Thanks.
    Rob.

Enrico,

I think it's the same replica (7/8 as dimension) I posted a video:

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...ella+battaglia

and analyzed the flight over Nervesa della Battaglia

Do you confirm it?

I hope one day to visit the museum of Baracca If you come to Rome I will be happy to accompany you to the Vigna di Valle Museum if you have not yet visited

Attilio

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    This is all very useful to me gentlemen. I should be able to post my version tomorrow.
    Thanks.
    Rob.
    One of your usual splendid works, I'm sure!

Ciao guys,

I found this thread today while surfing the Drome.

For what it is worth and just for the sake of History, there are a couple of things I would like to add.

Actually this pic shows Baracca while waiting, and resting, during an "on alarm duty" or as we would say here in Italy on "di prontezza" duty.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	XIII-08.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	95.7 KB 
ID:	157062

As we can clearly see from this other pic, taken the very same day (probably minutes after the other),

Name:	2-A-RIPOSO-DI-F-BARACCA.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	309.8 KB 
ID:	157063
    we can see Ruffo di Calabria on the left after he removed his flying cap. The other two character in this photo are two unknow leutnants (as we can see from their two stars rank on their cuffs) probably not being pilots as we don't see any "wings" on their sleeves.

This pic, taken about nine months after the war ended,

Name:	Bertini.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	33.5 KB 
ID:	157064
    does not portrays Bartolomeo Costantini but a certain Bertini, a 91a Squadriglia pilot who, in Trieste on 28 August 1919, dedicates this pic to a friend remembering the the days spent together.

Mau

Now that is thread necromancy at its very best, Mau.
    I did indeed go on to post my Barraca a few days later and went on to do several more of his compatriots. You may find them in my photo album if they were not lost in the Great Hack. I never thought at the time that Attilio would take me to see his actual aircraft.
    Those photos are real gems. How did you get hold of them?
    Rob.

Now that is thread necromancy at its very best, Mau.
    Indeed it is Rob.
    But when it comes to History, the elapsed time it is quite a relative concept.

Those photos are real gems. How did you get hold of them?
    Rob.
    Since I consider myself a bookworm and since I have a fondness for anything related to 91a Squadriglia I have quite a lots of photos, either from books or from the galaxy of Internet. A degree in Contemporary History also helps to aim at dedicated areas where to have the right informations.

Now the "famed" Baracca's SPAD VII S2489 ...
    Actually the one showed in the Baracca's Museum in Lugo di Romagna, the birthplace of the Ace, was not his mount.
    91a Squadriglia adopted the Roman digits on its machines from Summer 1918. This in order to identify pilots when airborne as the squadron did drop the habit to customize the fuselages of its aircraft. The only exception we are aware of is the mounts of Fulco Ruffo di Calabria who stubbornly continued to show his Black Skull until the end of the war. But we know that Ruffo was cool
    Unfortunately at the time the 91a adopted the Roman digits, Baracca was already dead so he could not have mounted any aircraft with any Roman digits painted on the fuselage.

As we can clearly see from this rare photo,

Name:	Eduardo Olivero's 2489.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	136.8 KB 
ID:	157083

the Spad VII serial S2489 with the "X" (10) Roman digit, was the personal mount of the Italian-Argentine leutnant Eduardo Olivero, a brave and valid pilot who joined the 91a on 1st November 1917.
    This pic, with Olivero's Spanish inscription, is dated postwar on 8 March 1919 taken at the airfield of Quinto di Treviso. The last operational base of the 91a Squadriglia.
    In this nice pic we can also enjoy Olivero's personal marking. a metal pennant showing an Indios Pampa's head.

Mau

P.S. Rob, unfortunately it seems that the Great Hack devoured your albums I would really like to see your 91a repaints
    Last edited by Mau Fox; 02-10-2015 at 10:06. Reason: P.S. added

Thanks for such an erudite and interesting reply Mau.
    The part of Baracca's plane we saw was at Vigna de Valle.
    It is great to see such a wealth of information available.
    As soon as we complete the Early years AAR's I intend to direct my next Solo campaign to the Italian Front, so need to build up my aircraft ready for this.
    Rob.

I have tons of informations and pics to share with anyone interested in the WWI Italian aspect of the game.

Mau

Yes please Mau.
    Since my visit to Rome last year, I have fallen in love with all things Italian.
    Rob.

My pleasure Rob.

Just feel free to drop me a few lines, you and whoever, anytimes you need any information or pic or any question.
    If I will be able to help I will be more than glad.

Mau
    Last edited by Mau Fox; 02-11-2015 at 06:47. Reason: spelling

Thanks Mau.
    Wilco that.
    Rob.