Ares Games

Thread: Caproni Ca. 3 Bomber

Default Caproni Ca. 3 Bomber

Gentlemen (and Ladies?),

I have ordered a Caproni Ca. 3 bomber from Shapeways... I may even receive it before the leaves turn

I have done a little research on this plane, and have found references to it being used by (or even licensed built by) several nations beside it's nation of origin. Italy. Supposedly it was used by Great Britain (before being replaced by the Handley-Paige O/100 and O/400 bombers. France built it under license (under a different name). Even the US Navy used some from September 1918 through the end of the war.

When my Shapeways model arrives, I will have to paint it. I am in a quandary as to what to do. I have found no pictures or descriptions of the plane in anything other than Italian livery. While I have nothing against Italy (or Italians, for that matter), and I think it would look quite good painted as such... I have mostly Western Front aircraft, and would prefer something to fit in with either the American, British or French forces.

Does anyone out their have or know where to find info on the American, British or French paint schemes/markings?

If all else fails, I will paint it up as Italian as I have numerous good pics of such aircraft.

Chris Maes

I typed in Caproni CA 3 in French colours
    this is one of the results
    http://www.modelshipwrights.com/modu...ontent&id=5929
    Also wings pallette have a French Ca3
    Linz

I found this picture using Google.

See http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...kker-DR1/page8

A selection of French markings, one American too.

I've not been able to trace any CA3s in RNAS service. Some RNAS CA.4s (triplanes with biplane tail - the CA52 export model) did serve in Italy doing ASW work.