Ares Games

Thread: US Star Roundels?

Default US Star Roundels?

I'm planning a few repaints & have a question for those more knowledgeable. When did the US start using the Star Roundels?

Thanks!

Tommy

Maybe these could help:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_aircraft_insignia

United States

The military aviation insignia of both the United States and Russia have had interesting "crossovers" early in the 20th century. The initial US Army Signal Corps aviation insignia, used during the Pancho Villa punitive expedition just before World War I, used on the vertical tail and wings (as seen on early Curtiss biplane two-seat observation aircraft), was essentially a red five-pointed star identical to that of the later Soviet Union, without a red or white outline border. A tricolor roundel, similar to that used by Imperial Russia but in more evenly spaced proportions, was also adopted by the US Army Air Service in World War I air combat in Europe, because the then-recently adopted "star-in-circle" insignia could possibly be mistaken for a German or Austro-Hungarian Iron Cross insignia at some distance. The US Navy initiated the use of a white star with a central red circle all inside a blue circle and the US Marines also adopted this roundel.[1] The US roundel added a pair of white bars during World War II, becoming the famous "Stars and Bars" insignia; a red bar bisecting the white was added in 1947 when the United States Air Force became a separate service.
    http://www.theaerodrome.com/forum/ot...us-planes.html
    The star was only adopted by the U.S. on 19 May 1917, along with the Blue, White, Red Rudder Stripes.

On 11 January 1918, the Joint Army and Navy Technical Aircraft Board adopted the Roundel "to accord with the Allies in Appearance", for all aircraft manufactured by the US. Clearly, not all the older star-marked aircraft were repainted, but officially they should have been. I guess allied aircraft in the US service might have officially retained the star, but I can't find any documentation on this. These were red/blue/white roundels, along with Red/White/Blue Rudder stripes.

The US insignia officially reverted to the star markings on 30 April 1919.

Tommy here's a place to order them if you want. I've ordered through him before and he's good. Click on A.I.M.

Tom

Thanks Tom...I have some I picked up at Origins. I think they were from him.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy Z View Post
    Thanks Tom...I have some I picked up at Origins. I think they were from him.
    Good to hear. They also sell minis for WW2 in 1/200 scale.

Tom

The important phrase to note here is "all aircraft manufactured by the US. " No US manufactured airplanes saw front line combat during WWI