Ares Games

Thread: What Entente aircraft were flown above the Italian front?

Default What Entente aircraft were flown above the Italian front?

I am trying to put together a historically accurate opposition for my K. u K. Luftfahrtruppen and I need to find out what airplanes did the K. u. K. pilots face in the air above the Italian front.

Given the lack of Italian camouflaged miniatures, I would like to find out what did the British in Italy use?

I know that 34 Squadron used the R.E.8's, 28, 45 and 66 Squadrons used the Sopwith Camels and 139 Squadron used the Bristol Fighters. Oh yes, and there was the No. 4 Balloon Wing. Was that all?

What aircraft did the Italians use apart from their own designs (like Caproni)? SPAD XIII comes into mind, of course, then the Hanriot HD.1 (sadly lacking a mini), but anything else worth mentioning and possibly playable, at least with a card?

Any information would be most appreciated.

Italian Aircraft:
    Ansaldo A1, 130 built
    Pomilio PE, 1500 built
    Ansaldo SVA5, 1250 built
    SAML 1, 660 built
    SAML 7B, 500 built
    Caproni 3, 270 built
    FBA Type H, 982 built
    Macchi M5, 240 built

The Italians seem to have used Nieuport, Hanriot and SPAD fighters mostly, though my source fails to distinguish between units bought by Italy (or other countries) and simply lists them as French aircraft.

There were 9 British squadrons listed as being deployed in Italy, 1 Recon squadron, 3 fighter squadrons and 5 Coastal squadrons.
    Last edited by Ripskar; 07-21-2011 at 11:06.

Italy used all the different flavors of Nieuport too.......

Thanks for the replies guys.