Ares Games

Thread: Pilot hit rule clarification

Default Pilot hit rule clarification

In reference to this rule below...

Tokens with this symbol indicate that a member of the crew is hit. In scenarios with single-seater planes, this special damage means that the pilot is wounded. This special damage is announced, and for the rest of the game, the turn sequence is altered as follows:
    -during the movement phase, all wounded pilots perform their move and then immediately plan their next maneuver. Then, all non-wounded pilots execute their maneuvers. Then, shooting is resolved normally. All non-wounded pilots plan their next maneuver during the next turn’s planning phase as normal. In this way, non wounded pilots have better reactions than wounded pilots. IF A WOUNDED PILOT IS WOUNDED A SECOND TIME, THE AIRPLANE IS IMMEDIATLEY ELIMINATED!

How can this pilot ever change speeds then? Ie...

-turn speed marker is fast
    -pilot gets hit on the first manuever
    -next manuever, I move his plane, and then immediatley place another manuever card before I get to see anyone else move. However, with the speed marker already set to fast, I cannot change it to slow until the next planning phase. But even then I am always putting one card down after my movement..

I don't know if my explanation makes sense, but I would really appreciate if one of you senior members starts putting up rule clarifications on youtube Hint hint hint!

Thank you everyone that looks at this and possibly comments!

The speed marker is chosen and placed on the maneuver card during the planning phase, so you change speeds as normal.

Here's another question for the WWI version. Check you Deluxe rules for this one: The German rules say the pilot can't shoot after an Immelmann, a Split-S and after gaining height (Deluxe Set rules). The english rules (not Deluxe Set) add steep maneuver to this. Which one is right?

Suppose only Andrea can answer that... Or maybe someone who read the rules in Italian... Leuchtturm?

Are there any other German rules than the Deluxe rules? I only got these. Or are they called "Deluxe" cause they enable the luxory of firing after a steep maneuver? ;-)

When I am at home I can look in the German Burning Drachens rule if I rember it correctly theese rules only describe the effect of this card to an observer...

Ah, that's right.

I still dont understand the whole pilot wounded rule. In regular planning you pick two cards and place with speed markers on all pilot cards. After that it makes no sense to me for a wounded pilot. It says something like he has to move first and then you move but you dont get to change your maneuvers so what advantage is that. Then it says next turn you plan turns normally. There is something about wounded pilot picks his maneuvers first but how does that help. Can someone explain the whole process step by step so even a newbie gets it?? Thanks.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak View Post
    I still dont understand the whole pilot wounded rule. In regular planning you pick two cards and place with speed markers on all pilot cards. After that it makes no sense to me for a wounded pilot. It says something like he has to move first and then you move but you dont get to change your maneuvers so what advantage is that. Then it says next turn you plan turns normally. There is something about wounded pilot picks his maneuvers first but how does that help. Can someone explain the whole process step by step so even a newbie gets it?? Thanks.

Bill
    I alway find it helpful to 'elementize' rules sections, so here goes.

When the aircrew damage token is drawn and the pilot is wounded this special damage is announced, and for the rest of the game, the turn sequence is altered as follows:

1. During the movement phase, all wounded pilots perform their move and then immediately plan their next manoeuvre. This means the wounded pilot slides his second manoeuvre card over and plans his next one before he gets to see where the other aircraft have moved.

2. All non-wounded pilots execute their manoeuvres.

3. Fire is resolved normally.

4. All non-wounded pilots plan their next manoeuvre during the next turn’s planning phase as normal.

5. Repeat 1-4 until the wounded pilot(s) gets shot down, leaves the board or the game ends.

Hope this helps,

Cheers,

Carl.

Good explanation - I think the WWI wounded rule makes a lot more sense than this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Scoop View Post
    Good explanation - I think the WWI wounded rule makes a lot more sense than this one.
    At least it is easier...

It's a bit like the tailing rule.

Quote Originally Posted by Scoop View Post
    It's a bit like the tailing rule.
    No it is not. The tailing rule is easy but the situation neary never occurs. The WW2 pilot hit rule is a little difficult but the situation occures all the time. That said it is the complete opposite of the tailing rule...

Red face Pilot hit rule

After reading the special damage section for pilot hits, i give up. What the intent is that the injured pilot plots and moves before all other players. This could be a English translation problem. Perhaps some of our members with non English versions could give their input!

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by richard m schwab View Post
    After reading the special damage section for pilot hits, i give up. What the intent is that the injured pilot plots and moves before all other players. This could be a English translation problem. Perhaps some of our members with non English versions could give their input!

Rich
    Did you check Carl's post (no. 9)? He explained it really well!

Carl explained it very well but I still dont get it?? How does that give the other pilots an advantage?? It is a disadvantage to the wounded pilot I can see. I think I will just use the WWI rule, it is easier and makes more sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak View Post
    Carl explained it very well but I still dont get it?? How does that give the other pilots an advantage?? It is a disadvantage to the wounded pilot I can see. I think I will just use the WWI rule, it is easier and makes more sense to me.
    If it is a disadvantage to the wounded pilot than it is an advantage to the "healthy" pilot...

Edit: But using the WW1 rule might be a good house rule.

Thumbs up Pilot hit rule

After reading WOW pilot hit rule verses the DOW rule i agree with Andre. It is a far easier way to deal with the issue.

Rich

Similar Missions

1. WGF: Hit & Run booster
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Site News and Announcements
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 08-10-2010, 09:50
  2. Bomb rules help/clarification
    By ste_marthe in forum WGS: Rules Help
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-11-2009, 14:53
  3. Observer wounded rule question
    By evilsam in forum WGS: Rules Help