Ares Games

View Poll Results: Would you be interested in squadron decal sheets?

Voters
121. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, 4 aircraft at US$9.99 would work.

87 71.90%
  • No, 4 aircraft at US$9.99 would not work.

3 2.48%
  • Yes, But I need more then 4 aircraft for a single squadron.

20 16.53%
  • No, not interested at all in decals.

11 9.09%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Squadron / Jasta decal sets from Wings of War Aerodrome

Default Squadron / Jasta decal sets from Wings of War Aerodrome

I have found a decal artist and producer that is willing to work with me on making Squadron / Jasta decal sheets. I would like to know if you would be interested in being able to purchase decals from the Wings of War Aerodrome web site. Here are some of the details...

I am currently looking at the squadron sheets have all decals need to paint up 4 aircraft from scratch from the selected squadron. The 4 aircraft chosen would typically be the leading aces and/or the most colorful/unique paint jobs out there. I'm pretty sure I can make these available for US$9.99 plus shipping.

The exception to this would be planes that need lozenge pattern decals for the wings. For those sets, would you rather I cut back the number of planes a sheet can do, most likely to 2 planes, or would you rather have the 4 planes, but possibly at a higher cost (most likely around US$14.99 plus shipping)?

If you have any questions or suggestions, please post them here.

Here is the first squadron that would be offered, RNAS - Squadron 9

The decal set would look basically like this...
    Attached Images

I really like the idea, i just done envy who ever has to do all the work to produce the goods.

There are other Decal suppliers out there, such as Dom from Doms Decals. If you did something different from what they produce, you may just find a decent market that you can tap into.

I take it we would buy them directly through the site? If so, anychance it could take paypal payments?

This would be awesome!

I guess the shipping would be really cheap, so yeah I'd buy it for sure!

$9.99USD [$13.41NZD] isn't to bad a price it would postage that would concern me the most.

I've been stung quite bad with postage cost before not very nice. [Yes I know I live on the other side of the world and all that.] its really frustrating to find something I want to buy, but postage cost double more then the item is worth.

Only way around that I guess would be to collect all of the sales for NZ and then ship them out to everyone. *shrug*

Keep me posted on how this turns out Keith.

Cheers
    GW

Definitely a good idea. I hope it happens. And for the planes that require lozenge pattern decals for the wings. I'd gladly pay the extra few dollars.

Users Country Flag

Name
    John
    Sorties Flown

Sounds good to me.

Yes, you would buy theme right here through the site. I would accept paypal as well.

GW, there could be some shipping options for you that might help with this problem. We can cross that bridge when/if we come to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Col. Hajj View Post
    Yes, you would buy theme right here through the site. I would accept paypal as well.

GW, there could be some shipping options for you that might help with this problem. We can cross that bridge when/if we come to it.
    that's good. keep me apprised on the out come. I'll support it as best I can.

Cheers
    GW

As well as what?

I like the idea allthough I am not sure if I would by any because I would have to repaint 4 planes to use them...
    Last edited by The Blue Baron; 11-19-2009 at 05:13. Reason: Erased too much off thee quote

I would have to look into other payment options, so paypal would not be the only method. I've got a few other "products" in mind for the site as well.

Its a great idea. So will we be going to the classifies to purchase these decals or will there be another link? Look forward to showing to the guys I fly with.
    Tom

I think squadron decal sets are a great idea, I'm sure plenty of players would jump at the chance to customise their planes with them since Dom only does a handful of squadron/plane types at present. Four planes per sheet should be more than enough for your average player I'd expect. You could always release additional designs for each squadron later if enough players wanted them. I'd suggest only doing two planes per sheet for designs that need hex camo wings or similar to keep the prices all the same (and minimise the decal sheet size for posting) as long as you did a second sheet with two other schemes for that squadron.

Might be worth taking votes on which squadron or ace players wanted released.

I would be adding a "store front" to the site if/when we offer decals. I'll have to work out the details on the ones with wing camo.

as long as I can get Jasta 11 & 23b I'll be happy

Cheers
    GW

Hi Keith I think its an excellent idea too! If you need distribution help in the Australia/New Zealand/Asia locality so as to keep the postage prices down, just let me know as I'm more than happy to lend a hand. We can discuss further via PM if you like.
    TD

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Wilco View Post
    Hi Keith I think its an excellent idea too! If you need distribution help in the Australia/New Zealand/Asia locality so as to keep the postage prices down, just let me know as I'm more than happy to lend a hand. We can discuss further via PM if you like.
    TD
    I can take care of the NZ sector as well through Greyknight Miniatures. msg me as well if you need help.

Cheers
    GW

Quote Originally Posted by aarondpjames View Post
    There are other Decal suppliers out there, such as Dom from Doms Decals. If you did something different from what they produce, you may just find a decent market that you can tap into.
    And frankly this sort of competition might convince Dom that raising prices is a serious option to increase the commercial viability of his line of decals.

The more I think about this, the more I'm inclined to say that I really WANT at least 6 planes for a set of decals, not because I need to have 6 planes, but because I enjoy selection about which planes I want to build from each set. I haven't done more than half of any of Dom's sets, but I appreciated having the options available to choose from (and sometimes using the extras elsewhere). So, I'd still buy a set of 4 at $10, but I'd be a lot happier with 6 @ $10, even though I probably wouldn't use more than 4.

I'm running into a few issues with offering more then 4 planes per sheet. The first is just simply space. There are only so many things I can fit on the decal sheet. I really want to offer full sets, meaning that I supply all the decals need to complete each plane from a primer-ed state.

Another issue is cost. While Dom does all of his own design and printing, I have to out source it. The draw back is the added cost to getting them made. The benefits are that I can control which ones are made and how often new sets come out (within reason for production times). I could increase the number of planes to 6 or 8 per sheet, but that would raise the price to about $19.99 a sheet. While it is still the same price per plane, the price point is way to high for most people to buy into.

The other issue is finding enough detailed drawings of more then 4 aircraft from a single Squadron. I'm not over excited about a decal sheet that just gives you a bunch of numbers and roundels. I'd much rather produce decals that give colorful and interesting planes to have on the table.

So is there an eta on the decals? Your getting me hungry.

Tom

No real ETA yet. We are still having issues getting the red X of the Muryel plane to come out just right. It's getting close though!

Well, taking all that into consideration, I'd rather have 4 @ $9 than 8 @ $19

Quote Originally Posted by Pseudotheist View Post
    Well, taking all that into consideration, I'd rather have 4 @ $9 than 8 @ $19
    Yes, I also would prefer 4 @ 9 $.

Quote Originally Posted by The Blue Baron View Post
    Yes, I also would prefer 4 @ 9 $.
    ditto

Cheers
    GW

Users Country Flag

Blog Entries
    Name
    Philippe
    Sorties Flown

WOW! This is a great idea!

Another thing I am looking at offering, is a sheet of general markings so people can do their own repaints as well.

That's a good idea! Thumps up.

Another thing I am looking at offering, is a sheet of general markings so people can do their own repaints as well.
    I'd buy into those as well!

Good quality generic markings is a good idea. I would buy into them. Just so I could do what I wanted to with a repaint. You need to do all the major powers to begin with.
    Tony

My thoughts on the generic markings is to put out a sheet that covers markings from early to late war for one country and then another one for a different country. The Germans changed markings quite often, so they would have a bunch of different markings on their sheet, while the US or Brits would have fewer different markings, but more of the ones they do have... if that makes sense.

The generic country markings are a good idea, but also do a sheet of numerals to differentiate planes in the same squadron with identical paint jobs.

Any idea when you will be able to start selling your decals, Keith?

I just received another edit on them last night. I've got to verify how they fit and see if they need more adjustments. I will say, they are getting closer!

As an additional note, I think for future decal releases, I will make up decals to go with one of the planes/squadrons that is already out in a Wings of War mini. That would give people at least 5 planes from a single squadron to fly with.

........As an additional note, I think for future decal releases, I will make up decals to go with one of the planes/squadrons that is already out in a Wings of War mini. That would give people at least 5 planes from a single squadron to fly with.
    Great idea! I'm anxious to see the final products.

wjhupp

I'm in. I was just going to start trying to find some decals.

I would definitely need some for the stukas - I don't really want to buy the three modells, just the German one.

iceman

Yes these do sound like a good idea, however I think it best if you do Squadron/Jastas that compliment Doms Decals rather than compete against them. RNAS Sqn 9 would be really interesting. Down side would be the postage as well as the lousy exchange rate at the moment!

I can't wait for these decals to come out, I am really looking forward to getting hold of them. Just as a side, you will also need to make up a card for each plane too!

I'd like to see some decals of some Aces or other famous pilots aircraft not just squadron sets. You could have them as specific aircraft, a Camel set, a Dr.1 set a Spad set, etc, etc.
    Last edited by Roger Wilco; 02-01-2010 at 21:22.

Nexus should start producing that stuff as well and pack them into the boxes with the planes.

I just got what I hope will be the next to last draft artwork for these. They are getting really close!

a_leckter

Great initiative. Sure will be a lot of people interested in create their own squadrons.
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by usmc1855 View Post
    The generic country markings are a good idea, but also do a sheet of numerals to differentiate planes in the same squadron with identical paint jobs.
    This seems like it'd be a must have item. Probably even 2 of each number to be fair since you may have a 1 and a 12 or something like that

Count me in. I can't wait!

Don't forget a set for Jasta 18.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Alex
    Sorties Flown

I'd be interested in a couple of sets as I want to start doing a few repaints myself.

By the way, how many planes for the different major powers are;

in a flight
    in a squadron (jasta)?
    in a group (jagdstaffel)?
    in a wing

on paper? Thanks.

Bill

Yes interested....Germans too.....and Lozenge decals perhaps?

Also: What would be the chances we can get undecorated WoW miniatures?

I vote for undecorated minis too.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell Throttle View Post
    Yes interested....Germans too.....and Lozenge decals perhaps?

Also: What would be the chances we can get undecorated WoW miniatures?
    Lozenge decals are already available at Reviresco, under the Aircraft kits in their store.

And I'd rather they stick to historical paint jobs; you can always "undecorate" them yourself. basically, I don't see it being a real money maker for them.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. Welcome to the Wings of War Aerodrome
    By zMaint in forum Site News and Announcements
    Replies: 83
    Last Post: 02-18-2021, 01:41
  2. F Toys and other non-Wings of War planes
    By kaufschtick in forum 1/144 Scale Dawn of War
    Replies: 51
    Last Post: 06-03-2010, 18:32
  3. Repaint Contest - Win a Wings of War or Dawn of War box set!
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Past Contests
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 12-02-2009, 08:30
  4. Evolution of Wings of War
    By Jmac in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-21-2009, 10:07