Ares Games
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Wings of War — Wallpapers

Exclamation Wings of War — Wallpapers

Hello everyone!

I have a 24" computer monitor at home, so I'm always on the lookout for high quality wallpapers to use as my desktop image. The trouble with having a widescreen resolution like 1920x1200 [px] is that it can be incredibly difficult to find decent images — especially if you are looking for WWI material. I did a bit of searching online and hit the jackpot when I encountered rOEN911/Atonis' Deviant-Art webpage. Using in-game screen shots from 'Rise of Flight', Atonis performs a little bit of "Photoshop-voodoo" to make them look absolutely stunning.

The downside to these images is that they are absolutely HUGE! How can this be a negative thing? Well, it is both a blessing and curse. Due to the odd dimensions for each image, they don't "scale" well for a widescreen desktop (or even a standard definition screen resolution). It's tough to have them "stretched" to fit the screen because they often become distorted. Leaving them "centered" as a wallpaper (not modifying their dimension) often leaves you with a brilliant CLOSE UP view of the middle part of the picture. Now I know I haven't been terribly accommodating by failing to re-size for smaller resolutions, but these should scale down just fine for widescreen users. For those using a standard definition computer monitor, you may want to crop them as you see fit. I also threw in a 1920x1200 close-up photograph of two Spandau MG15's on a red Fokker; scroll down until you find "FokkerMG" (source unknown).

Please click the following link to browse the 1920x1200 [px] wallpapers:

http://wingsofwar.org/wowauser/WWI%20Wallpapers/1920x1200/

-----------------------------
    -----------------------------

Here is a little taste of what some of these look like (thumbnail images only):

Name:  RoF-1917_SE5a_1920x1200.jpg
Views: 1514
Size:  137.9 KB

Name:  caught_by_surprise_by_roen911-d3f5kdx.jpg
Views: 1499
Size:  58.2 KB

Name:  rigged_trap_by_roen911-d3iqq8o.jpg
Views: 1507
Size:  70.1 KB

Name:  ___the_bloody_april____by_roen911-d3k6lgy.jpg
Views: 1502
Size:  69.2 KB

Name:  nieuports_patrol_by_roen911-d385rio.jpg
Views: 1472
Size:  64.0 KB
    Last edited by Lugburz; 07-12-2011 at 12:06.

I've just added new entries under "Bloody April" and "Epilogue". Also, there are often multiple versions of each image. Since the originals were so incredibly large, I was able to provide alternate editions when cropping them down. Some feature the left or right portions of the original, whereas there should always be a copy showing the entire scene (with black or white bars at the top and bottom).

DISCLAIMER: I take NO credit for the creation of these images, and the honor belongs to rOEN911/Atonis. All of these images are available for public download from his Deviant-Art page, and I have merely cropped and edited them to fit a widescreen resolution. If you really love these images, please let the author know by contacting him through Deviant-Art or leaving a comment on his profile. Thanks!

Hi,
    nice pitures.
    Perhaps there will soon be time images of WW2.

Takeru

Really nice for 1920x1200 wide screen resolution.

The Fulco Ruffo di Calabria's Spad wallpaper remember me the theme of a picture with another italian ace Spad I saw in Internet but it's really impressive.

Well done, Keegan.

Attilio

I've just uploaded an up-scaled 1920x1200 image of a Caproni bomber done by Radojavor over @ Deviant-Art.com (refresh the wallpaper folder for it to show up). Unlike the other images showcased, this one was airbrushed by hand on the computer; no 3D models were used. It looks brilliant! Some of the "crispness" was lost when I up-scaled it, but you can click the link for his Deviant-Art page to see the original.

Name:  caproni.jpg
Views: 1504
Size:  177.7 KB

Lugz

Quote Originally Posted by Attila57 View Post
    Really nice paint!

Attilio
    I thought you might like that one

A really great set of pictures there Keegan. The Caproni is fantastic.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Quote Originally Posted by Lugburz View Post
    I thought you might like that one
    Yes, of course! Thx

Attilio

Exclamation

G'day Lugs! old mate!
    I am attaching 3 images I rotate on my computer as Desktops so you might like to try these. They should fit your screen.
    Can you let me know if they transfer OK.
    Attached Images    

Users Country Flag

Name
    Steve
    Sorties Flown

Absolutly Bad ***! Really great pictures! Thanks for sharing them!

Excellent pictures yet again Barry. At this rate we will have to change wallpaper every day!
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Attila57 View Post
    Really nice for 1920x1200 wide screen resolution.

The Fulco Ruffo di Calabria's Spad wallpaper remember me the theme of a picture with another italian ace Spad I saw in Internet but it's really impressive.

Well done, Keegan.

Attilio
    Fulco, the father of my queen!
    Somehow, I find this odd... why?

Yes, your queen is his seventh child. I recently read an italian book about him: Pietro Baroni - Il Principe con le Ali Fulco Ruffo di Calabria (Prince with wings Fulco Ruffo di Calabria).

Attilio

Realy great pictures, that's what I call art.
    Last edited by Doug; 07-13-2011 at 04:12. Reason: spelling

Thanks for the invite guys,

Lugburz good job.I usually do them 4800x2200 resolution because i use 2x26H Monitors and i have get used to have a black gap up and down and to be honest i prefer it so i can trim all my files there.

This is my latest Composite image :

Here is my main page at Deviart http://roen911.deviantart.com/gallery/

And here the main threat at ROF official forum : http://riseofflight.com/Forum/viewto...5975&start=330

If you want i can post here any new picture

Cheers.

Yet another superb piucture. Thanks.
    Rob.

Marvellous pictures... Makes me want to buy Rise of Flight even more...

I got chills... they're multiplyin'... and I'm losin' control!!!! Sweet pics!
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams

Glad you like them guys.

Quote Originally Posted by rOEN911 View Post
    Glad you like them guys.
    Fantastic work rOEN! Your images are easily on par with the illustrations in the WWI Osprey books

Keep up the good work

I think you've found a dedicated fanbase here at the Wings of War Aerodrome!

Cheers.

Now when i have some free time i try to do a small request for a friend who is manager to Krakow Museum http://www.muzeum-ak.krakow.pl/newsy...awa_Gorce.html
    I will do for him some Covers for the Museum with Polish pilots.Of course i will do them also in huge resolution as always.

Cheers.

Now when i have some free time i try to do a small request for a friend who is manager to Krakow Museum http://www.muzeum-ak.krakow.pl/newsy...awa_Gorce.html
    I will do for him some Covers for the Museum with Polish pilots.Of course i will do them also in huge resolution as always.
    Sounds great! I can't wait to see what you cook up next

Time to change Wallpaper

Download here : http://roen911.deviantart.com/#/d47lreh

WAUW...excellent stuff... !!!!!

Indeed!

Hunter's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Terry
    Sorties Flown

Thank you all for the wonderful pictures, they're splendid! The only drawback is in the choosing.

Awsome pictures. But the grand kids win out the wife says. Hmph? Oh well it would have be to hard of a choice?

Very impressive indeed. As soon as my Good Lady gets her laptop I can have a non nuteral wallpaper rOEN911.
    Rob.

Thanks guys I will make some more in a couple of days because i am very busy now.

Lugz thanks for sharing this. Very good find!

and rOEN...

Brilliant work!

That is truly amazing...! My hat is off to you good buddy!

Thanks for the invite guys,

Lugburz good job.I usually do them 4800x2200 resolution because i use 2x26H Monitors and i have get used to have a black gap up and down and to be honest i prefer it so i can trim all my files there.

This is my latest Composite image :

Here is my main page at Deviart http://roen911.deviantart.com/gallery/

And here the main threat at ROF official forum : http://riseofflight.com/Forum/viewto...5975&start=330

If you want i can post here any new picture

Cheers.
    This is my favourite, of some very fine pics on this page and linked too. It is my wallpaper now Great work!

Dave

Thank you guys.

Ok lets change wallpaper :P
    Just got A desing Tablet and i am very impresed about the results so far,hope you like them.

Download Here : http://roen911.deviantart.com/#/d48yjae

And something that i made before 2 days

Albatros Dr I

No less than eleven manufacturers produced triplane, single seat fighters in the summer of 1917, including Albatros, whose Dr I simply married a new triplane wing to an otherwise standard DV airframe.
    When triplanes seemed to hold the most promise as fighters a number of designs were put forward. This Albalros DrI was built in 1917 - and as can be clearly seen it was essentially an Albatros DV with an extra wing added.

This machine, built in 1917, was virtually a D V fitted with three sets of wings to assess the triplane layout. All wings were of parallel chord with ailerons, connected by link struts, at all tips. It would seem no advantage was gained with this layout, and the type was not proceeded with. Engine, 160 h.p. Mercedes D III. Span, 8.7 m. (28 ft. 6 5/8 in.). Length, 7.3 m. (23 ft. 11 1/2 in.). Height, 2.42 m. (7 ft 11 1/4 in.). Armament, twin Spandau machine-guns.

Download here :

http://roen911.deviantart.com/art/Tr...1917-256789882

Make sure to download the HD quality from Devianart

Cheers,
    Last edited by rOEN911; 09-05-2011 at 15:09.

Very nice. Like all of your art.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Impressive. Very impressive.
    Rob.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Steve
    Sorties Flown

Very Cool! loved all the pictures. Okie

Stunning art work fellas

"He is wise who watches"

Cheers Fellas

Thumbs up

Really like them all but that Sop Triplane one with the Drachen really ROCKS!!!!

I have many of these scrolling as my wallpaper .. you do some amazing renders..

I really appreciate it guys,Hope next month i will have less work to do so more Art and videos.

I really appreciate it guys,Hope next month i will have less work to do so more Art and videos.
    I look forward to it with anticipation.
    Rob.

Thank you very much for your kind words guys,

Ok something fast this time.

Download Here : http://roen911.deviantart.com/#/d499nnw

Another great picture and it has given me an idea of something to do with a bust Albatros kit that Von Rogerstein has just passed onto me.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    Really like them all but that Sop Triplane one with the Drachen really ROCKS!!!!
    Have to agree Barry.

Crackin stuff rOEN.

Rich

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast