Ares Games

Thread: UNOFFICIAL THREAD : MACCHI M5

Default UNOFFICIAL THREAD : MACCHI M5

i AM NOT ADMITTING THAT I AM INFLUENCED IN ANY WAY BY ATTILIO, but the two threads here are related to my sudden attraction to the Italian wing. I blame it all on Porco Rosso.:embarass:
    Stats if you please chaps.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Thanks for the quote, Rob:

Juts for reference my favourite stats (http://www.worldwar1.com/dbc/macchi5.htm):

Length 8.06 m
    Height 2.85 m
    Empty Weight 720 kg
    Loaded Weight 990 kg
    Maximum Speed 183 km/hr.
    Wing Span 11.902 m
    Upper wing 11.902 m
    Lower wing 8 m
    Wing Chord (upper) 1.60 m
    Wing Chord (lower) 1.10 m
    Ceiling 6,500 m
    Climb To 1,000 m 3 minutes
    To 2,000 m 6 minutes 30 sec
    To 3,000 m 11 minutes 30 seconds
    To 5,000 m 28 minutes 30 seconds
    Endurance 3 hours 15 minutes

The author claims to refer his article to: Official data Italian Air Force manuscript 1923 - Instruction handbook by Macchi

There are little difference with Wikipedia data at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macchi_M.5 and other links.

Not at all Attilio. Thank you for your input. Without your delightful referal to Porco I would not have considered embarking on these planes. Now all I need is the time to build them, and for the debate on these stats to take place.

Rob.

If you're insterested in M5's liveries there are threepics of them in Osprey Aircraft of the Aces n- 89 "Italian Aces of WWI": Pierozzi, Martinengo and Calvello floatplanes.

Or searching on Internet you can find links with liveries like these;

http://www.internetmodeler.com/artma...in-Profile.php

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/l...hp/t37430.html

Attilio

A wealth of info here Attilio. Thanks again my friend.
    Rob.

Here's a starting point
    Speed 183kph pre June 1917 so D I J K. I would go for an I deck
    Can you do an Immelmann in a flying boat?
    Does the pusher engine cause sharp right turns or left turns?
    Climb Rate 3
    Ceiling 14
    2 machine guns forward firing equates to A
    Damage 13/14/15 depending on construction.
    That's my thoughts
    Linz

As I understand it Linz, with the center of gravity being further back it did not effect the turning nearly as much as the tractor engines did.
    Thanks for the stats. Now we can start to get a consensus.
    Rob.

From the same web site I found specifications:

The Macchi M.5 was a flying-boat fighter developed by the Nieuport Macchi company of Varese in early 1917, and introduced in service in autumn 1917. Initially armed with a single Fiat machine-gun, and featuring a tali strucuture held on struts, the production M.5 had an armamaement pof two Vickers guns and a tail structure resting on the fuselage. It was an extremely fast and maneuverable airplane, that managed to gain an ascendancy over the enemy seaplane fighetrs and even cliamed victories against the Phönix land fighters.

It was a flying boat not a seapalne with slender poontons. I found some mentions as "acrobatic" or "fully acrobatic". So it was possibile that it could perform a WWI Immelmann turn like this:

With you saying it was fast and it entering service after June 1917 then we need to move it up one speed band so it should be one of the following F or O both very much the same. This allows for maneuverability.
    Linz

Thanks for the info chaps. Looks like O,A,14. Ceiling 14 climb 3 to me then.
    Rob.