Ares Games

Thread: DOG FIGHT AERIAL TACTICS OF THE ACES OF WORLD WAR I

Default DOG FIGHT AERIAL TACTICS OF THE ACES OF WORLD WAR I

Thanks for that Brian! I must look up Amazon & see if they have any copies via their 2nd hand dealers.

A wonderful book (I'm translating each word in italian with great patient and difficoulty). It is value for money.

Attilio

Yes, it is indeed an excellent book. We need to add it to the reviews.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

The material looks good, but the book got panned on Amazon.com: http://www.amazon.com/Dog-Fight-Aerial-Tactics-World/product-reviews/ • It would seem the book is rife with grammatical errors and suffers from poor editing, although everyone seems to praise Norman Franks other books. Perhaps this was a case of the publisher dropping the ball.

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Lugburz View Post
    The material looks good, but the book got panned on Amazon.com: http://www.amazon.com/Dog-Fight-Aerial-Tactics-World/product-reviews/ • It would seem the book is rife with grammatical errors and suffers from poor editing, although everyone seems to praise Norman Franks other books. Perhaps this was a case of the publisher dropping the ball.
    Correct! I checked Amazon out & they only have one copy left but the reviews ( some made by folk I know via the WW1 Aerodrome) decided me against lashing out.

Could also be a style issue -- the British, in particular, are infamous for multi-topic sentences which run on, and are overrun with commas; to the eye of someone partially educated in American schools, it looks Wrong. (I see this difference, as I taught myself to read using mainly British books -- drove my English teachers to distraction. :) )

Cool link, thynk you for it! I need only a little time to study thi book now

Using a vocaboulary to translate it I noticed the author use a formal style and outdated or bombastic terms. There are also some recurring errors like "He had had..." (ot they seems a style of the author ?!).

I'm not in a postion to evaluate if it's a correct english or not. But looking at the content it's an excellent book. There are for example the evaluation of the score of aces wins and other subjects that are skipped from other authors.

Attilio

Quote Originally Posted by Attila57 View Post
    Using a vocaboulary to translate it I noticed the author use a formal style and outdated or bombastic terms. There are also some recurring errors like "He had had..." (ot they seems a style of the author ?!).
    "Had had" is technically correct English -- past-tense of "he had". However, as was beaten into me by many grammar-school English teachers: It is an *awful* construction for anyone who has to read it. (As one of my teachers put it: "The Oxford English dictionary runs to over 30 volumes -- there is absolutely no excuse for using the same word twice in succession." ) This is what I meant upthread about style issues.

So the poor reviews are in effect the Americans complaining about the use of the English language, by an English author?
    Two people separated by a common language...

This reminds me about the old chestnut that has won many a pint in an English pub. Buy me a pint if I can use the word "and" five times
    consecutively in a sentence that makes absolute sense.
    Answers on a post card to F.O. Kyte. The Aerodrome,Much Binding in the Marsh, Scruttockshire, U.K.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Ripskar View Post
    So the poor reviews are in effect the Americans complaining about the use of the English language, by an English author?
    Two people separated by a common language...
    Yeah! A splendid example of how the third (non-English speaking) between the two litigants DOESN'T ENJOY!

But the contents of the book is worth the effort

Attilio

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Buy me a pint if I can use the word "and" five times
    consecutively in a sentence that makes absolute sense.
    Do that around one of my English teacher, and I won't be buying you a pint -- I'll be buying you lilies. :)

Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post
    Do that around one of my English teacher, and I won't be buying you a pint -- I'll be buying you lilies.
    I'll give people till next week to work it out and then give the answer.
    Rob.

Smith, where Jones had had "had", had had "had had"; "had had" had had the examiners approval.

That's eleven hads in a row!

I've a vague recollection of the "and" one - but I won't spoil it for those of you struggling with pencils and indiarubbers.

Quote Originally Posted by AlgyLacey View Post
    Smith, where Jones had had "had", had had "had had"; "had had" had had the examiners approval.

That's eleven hads in a row!

I've a vague recollection of the "and" one - but I won't spoil it for those of you struggling with pencils and indiarubbers.
    You are on the right track here Dave. I think you have the and one down. I am going to move my answers to the Officers' Club because this thread is getting right off track.
    Rob.