Ares Games

Thread: Farman F40

Default Farman F40

Thought we should try something a bit more differcult
    The Farman F 40
    Max very kindly produced a card for me as a bomber due to it's size.
    This aircraft was considered a fighter bomber so I feel it should be treated like all other 2 seaters.
    Max's stats
    XD 18 1 Ceiling 10 C/R 5
    My thoughts
    P B 11 Ceiling 9 C/R 6 no Immelmann

Span 57ft 9ins 17.60m
    Length 9.25m
    Height 3.90m
    Speed 83.9 mph 135kph
    Ceiling 13123ft 4000m

I haven't been able to find climb rates as yet so hope you can help.
    Linz

Rabbit 3's Avatar Squadron Leader Scotland.
    Captain

Users Country Flag

Name
    Robert
    Sorties Flown

Stats seem reasonable enough given those figures.
    How big is the card though, if its larger than the standard length then that will have an effect on the deck used.
    Width dosn`t really matter though.

If I was using a P deck then I would produce a card the standard size.
    As a bomber it's card is the same size as a Gotha.
    I feel it should be on the standard size card as early aircraft where larger in general than later ones.
    Also it makes the plane more playerable as I have said it was't often used as a bomber infect some where fitted with Rockets for shooting down baloons.
    Maybe we could have two sets of stats for this aircraft one as the "fighter" and one as the "bomber".
    Linz

Two sets of stats would be confusing.
    As for the size... the standard 2-seaters (fighter-size cards) seem to be around 40-odd feet wingspan. I don't have FotG to compare. What is the smallest giant that uses a larger sized card?

The Caudron GIV was wingspan 56ft 6ins Gotha 77ft AEG 60ft they all use the small bomber card.
    Linz

Captain

Users Country Flag

Name
    Robert
    Sorties Flown

So generally speaking it should be either on the small bomber or on a standard card.
    The Gotha card being too big.

Perhaps a card 1 1/2 the size of a standard card. Seeing it was about 1 1/2 times the size of a standard two seater
    Linz

It's got about the same wing span as the Caudron GIV, so presumably it would use the same sized card - small bomber. Also, I don't think we should be quick to make up new card sizes. Let's try to keep things within the existing framework as much as possible.

Captain

Users Country Flag

Name
    Robert
    Sorties Flown

If you look at the existing two-seater cards it becomes obvious that there is no `set scale` for the pictures on the cards.
    They are just scaled to fit the standard card sizes.
    Distances are usually worked out to the center point anyway so, provided the card is a standard length to fit the maneuver deck used there isn`t any reason the card can`t be a bit wider than normal to fit some of these early `Big Wingspan, low Powered` designs a bit better.
    You could get them easily on to a standard card but the pic would just end up a bit small.
    I`ve already done something of the kind with a Short Bomber double width card which has a wingspan of 84 ft 0 in (25.61 m)
    so the Farman would, if anything be something less of a problem.
    Attachment 16196
    Last edited by Rabbit 3; 07-06-2011 at 10:39.

Captain

Users Country Flag

Name
    Robert
    Sorties Flown

I`ve just been doing a bit of testing just to see how various Farman cards might turn out.
    First the 1 1/2 times normal width.
    Attachment 16240
    Now a standard size card.
    Attachment 16239
    There is not all that much in it and it looks to me that a standard size card would be ok for this plane.

Well where do we go from here?
    My thoughts now with using the standard base
    XD B 11 Ceiling 9 Climb rate 6
    Thoughts please gentlemen
    Linz

Captain

Users Country Flag

Name
    Robert
    Sorties Flown

Those stats on a standard size card? Works for me.
    Any idea what the maximum bomb load was, all I`ve found so far is references to it carrying `light` bombs without a clue as to how many.

I don't have that information. Can't have been very much as they struggled to get of the ground anyway. I have treated it the same as any other two seater in that you have two passes over the target.
    Linz

50kg bombs or 10 Le Prieur rockets, don't have anything solid on the climb rate as yet. I'd agree with Linz's 6 rating, based on the performance of other aircraft of it's generation. I think that feels about right.
    Last edited by IRM; 08-01-2011 at 04:56.

Although 10 Le Prieur rockets could be fitted, because of the on many going problems with firing that many rockets - in pratice far fewer were fitted for opertions.

For games I use the same amount of rockets as a scout.

Agreed. Probably doesn't matter for game purposes either way, you'd still just have 2 rocket counters.