Ares Games

Thread: Original photo of German Drachen

Exclamation Original photo of German Drachen

G'day Chaps! Thought you might like to see this pic of a German Drachen perhaps being prepared for launch. I got it via the WW1 Aerodrome site. Maybe it has just been pulled down so not sure?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WW1 Drachen Grounded.jpg 
Views:	250 
Size:	84.8 KB 
ID:	15802

Fascinating! I wonder what color it is....I don't think it can be yellow when you compare it to the number painted on the door of the hut. Also that looks like a Naval officer standing in front of the tail/stabilizer and the balloon is a fairly similar dark shade to his uniform

Nice photo! Thanks for sharing Barry.

Attilio

Very cool great to see one "close up"
    Thanks
    Linz

Rabbit 3's Avatar Squadron Leader Scotland.
    Captain

Users Country Flag

Name
    Robert
    Sorties Flown

Fascinating! I wonder what color it is....I don't think it can be yellow when you compare it to the number painted on the door of the hut. Also that looks like a Naval officer standing in front of the tail/stabilizer and the balloon is a fairly similar dark shade to his uniform
    It could very well be yellow. With black and white photos of this period yellow often shows up as a dark tone.
    The colour shade is remarkably even as well, almost a `freshly painted` look.
    The placement of the `Iron Cross` marking is interesting.
    Balloon pictures rarely show markings of any kind.
    Last edited by Rabbit 3; 07-01-2011 at 03:36.

It could be on the way to its place of operation. Often it was easier to transport the baloon inflated on the ground than to inflate it under frontline conditions.

It is great to have such a clear picture of the Balloon. The detail is very useful. Thanks for that Barry.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

WOW that's cool. Great Picture.

Great picture.

German Marine Officer? Hmm... Didn't they command Zeppelins, too in WW I?

Quote Originally Posted by Marechallannes View Post
    Great picture.

German Marine Officer? Hmm... Didn't they command Zeppelins, too in WW I?
    The German Navy did operate Zeppelins; they used them for naval recon as well as bombing England.
    One of the first missions the shipborne fighters of the RNAS (Pups followed by Camels) was to shoot down these "Eyes in the Skies" airships.

Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Lovely clear shot.
    I assume there is some sort of vehicle to move it or tether it to that is not in the photo?

Quote Originally Posted by pbhawkin View Post
    Lovely clear shot.
    I assume there is some sort of vehicle to move it or tether it to that is not in the photo?
    Some had winch lorries. Some just free standing winches. There is even a picture of a semi inflated one being walked down a road by a platoon of soldiers. Literally man handled.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    G'day Chaps! Thought you might like to see this pic of a German Drachen perhaps being prepared for launch. I got it via the WW1 Aerodrome site. Maybe it has just been pulled down so not sure?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WW1 Drachen Grounded.jpg 
Views:	250 
Size:	84.8 KB 
ID:	15802
    A beautiful picture, could you post a link for the site?

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    There is even a picture of a semi inflated one being walked down a road by a platoon of soldiers. Literally man handled.
    Rob.
    I can almost hear the SNCO giving instructions to the platoon..."And if a _____ great gust comes along DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES TRY TO HOLD IT DOWN ON YOUR OWN,,,,SCHMIDT!"

LOL

Good find, lots of little detail to be had from such a picture.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Doolittle View Post
    A beautiful picture, could you post a link for the site?

Unfortunately, no. I down loaded it from the Aerodrome WW1 History Forum & it was posted by the chap that owns the original picture.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Some had winch lorries. Some just free standing winches. There is even a picture of a semi inflated one being walked down a road by a platoon of soldiers. Literally man handled.
    Rob.
    You mean this one Rob? I don't remember where I've got it but it was on my mobile hard drive...

I discovered some more pictures of observation balloons...Put them in an album. There was a time I scavenged the internet for every picture I could find about WWI aviation ... I honestly don't remember where I found them but you can find them here :

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/album.php?albumid=828

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedevil View Post
    I discovered some more pictures of observation balloons...Put them in an album. There was a time I scavenged the internet for every picture I could find about WWI aviation ... I honestly don't remember where I found them but you can find them here :

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/album.php?albumid=828
    Well done, Alex!

Yet another bit of useful information for its details Alex.
    Thanks.
    Rob.

I've added a couple more to my album...I especially llove the "group-shot" at the basket

Growing into quite a folio of pictures Alex.
    Rob.