Ares Games

Thread: Unofficial Plane Hanover CL III

Default Unofficial Plane Hanover CL III

Now we seem to have most of those sorted out, what do you think about my latest build, the Hanover CL III?
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Rob They where basicly the same aircraft as the CL IIwith slight changes to the wingtips and the engine.
    There where only 80 CL III that had the 160hp Mercedes engine the rest of the CL IIIa had the 180hp Argus engine
    Safe to say that the stats for the CL II would be the same for the CL III and CL IIIa
    Linz

Thanks Linz. Do we have a card anywhere for them?
    Rob.

From a previous discussion we have K - B/B - 16 for the Hannover CL.III. No discussion of climb or maximum altitude.

Altitude would be 15 (7500m), climb rate perhaps 4 (no solid info, so I'm guesstimating it to be the same as the Rumpler). Highly manoeuvrable and capable of Immelmanns (from the mouth of god, or at least Andrea ), so I'd say J-deck rather than K would be closer.

Not-official-as-yet-and-subject-to-change cards from Mr Vitali himself for this (plus Albatros D.II, BE2c, DFW CV, Halberstadt CL.II) to be found here:
    http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/4632...s-in-crossfire

Aircraft of WW1. gives it as 6000 m but no climb rate.Janes gives service ceiling 15,000 ft.That is well under 6000m. Climb rates of 14,000 in 39 mins. that is all I have.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by IRM View Post
    Altitude would be 15 (7500m), climb rate perhaps 4 (no solid info, so I'm guesstimating it to be the same as the Rumpler). Highly manoeuvrable and capable of Immelmanns (from the mouth of god, or at least Andrea ), so I'd say J-deck rather than K would be closer.

Not-official-as-yet-and-subject-to-change cards from Mr Vitali himself for this (plus Albatros D.II, BE2c, DFW CV, Halberstadt CL.II) to be found here:
    http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/4632...s-in-crossfire
    Thanks for the link Iain. That will do me very well indeed. At least it will get the bus flying.
    Rob.

Ceiling I have is 24600ft which is 7500m so 15 is right and climb at 5.3mins to 1000m coupled with your stat of 39mins to 14000ft 4300m I would be looking at a climb rate of 5
    Linz
    Last edited by Linz; 06-30-2011 at 13:14.

Thanks for the input Linz.
    That gives a really good spread of options to work on.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Linz View Post
    Ceiling I have is 24600ft which is 7500m so 15 is right and climb at 5.3mins to 1000m coupled with your stat of 39mins to 14000ft 4300m I would be looking at a climb rate of 5
    Linz
    Rob They where basicly the same aircraft as the CL IIwith slight changes to the wingtips and the engine.
    There where only 80 CL III that had the 160hp Mercedes engine the rest of the CL IIIa had the 180hp Argus engine
    Safe to say that the stats for the CL II would be the same for the CL III and CL IIIa
    Linz
    I would rate the ceiling as not as high - because it is known that the Argus As. III engine looses power in heights of more than 3000 m. This is why the engine was not used in Fighterplanes (except the unfortunate Roland D.IIa and D.III witch where not succesful because of the engine).
    For Ground-Attack-Twoseaters this engine was very succesful.

I would rate the ceiling no more than 12

Matthias

Are we accepting the values on Alberto's cards as 'as-good-as-official' or are they simply 'good guesses' like ours? (I must say that the speed band of the DFW disagrees with the conclusion that we came to in a previous discussion.) The comments about the immelmann for various 2-seaters is definitely valid, though.

I think we need to add his assessment into the mix, just as if he were another member giving weight to the investigation. The fact that he has the ear of Andrea, may lend a little gravitas to his stats, but should not swing the whole decision one way. Let's just take it as extra expert evidence, and see where it takes us.
    Rob.

Rabbit 3's Avatar Squadron Leader Scotland.
    Captain

Users Country Flag

Name
    Robert
    Sorties Flown

I`d been wondering where the stats of J,B/B,15 Ceiling 15, Climb 5 that I`d aquired on a spreadsheet originated from.
    Seems to be more or less in line with where we seem to be going here.

Agreed. If we allow the Immelmann, as per Andreas' comments, J deck is a good choice.
    Damage rating at 15 or 16. (Not much difference in it.)
    Max altitude of 15 looks like it fits historical data; there is just a question of whether it would have been practical or if performance of the engine/pilot would be sufficiently degraded that it wouldn't have been used.