Ares Games

Thread: Next Shapeways Models

Default Next Shapeways Models

Just heard from a reliable source that the next two models from Shapeways will be a DH5 and Pfalz D.IIIa, then an as-yet unspecified bomber.

Sounds promising but I am still awaiting my first and second orders.
    Don

Hunter's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Terry
    Sorties Flown

As am I.

Sounds good to me.

Hunter's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Terry
    Sorties Flown

Well got part of my order, 5 DrI's and 2 Junkerds. Still awaiting 4 DrI's, 4 Sopwith tripes, and 4 DVII's. I found out that the more 'Detail' the finish the longer it will take for us to receive them. Shapeways has been pretty good to me so far and the planes I've received look good. We'll see how they hold up after painting.

Do you think that Shapeways would be interested in manufacturing spare altitude pegs?

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter View Post
    Well got part of my order, 5 DrI's and 2 Junkerds. Still awaiting 4 DrI's, 4 Sopwith tripes, and 4 DVII's. I found out that the more 'Detail' the finish the longer it will take for us to receive them. Shapeways has been pretty good to me so far and the planes I've received look good. We'll see how they hold up after painting.
    Any chance of posting a pic of the Junkers? I'm looking at making an order when the domestic reserves come up a bit.
    Also, what style did you order?
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

The bomber is the Caproni Ca 3.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Bruno_Stachel
    Sorties Flown

I got my first order this weekend; just a small sampler of a Fokker DVII and a Sopwith Triplane. The detail on both looks good but the lower wings on the Triplane have 'sagged'. Anyone know if it is possible to take some remedial action with the material to straighten them? Warming the model or similar?

My Sopwith Tripe and DVII have just arrived.

The Tri is missing the prop [no real loss there]

Now to assemble the DVII

The tri is really good [White, Strong, Flex, POLISHED]

HUMPH!

They don't do the "polished" version for the Triplanes now - too difficult apparently.

Any comments on the "unpolished" variety?

Well, despite all of the recent issues with Shapeways (delays, QC problems, etc...), I went and placed another order with them. I have had very good experience with their products in the past, and despite everything, they do give good customer service. I ordered one each of the Sopwith Triplane, Junkers D.I, Fokker D.VII, D.H.5 and Fokker Dr.I (despite the well documented problems). I even ordered the Caproni Ca. 3 bomber! (More about this in the "Historical" section of the forums). Who knows, I may even get my order by September.

Chris

Just completed 2 Ca3's. One a conversion to the torpedo carrier. I'd been toying with this idea, and when over-enthusiastic use of too-tightly-wrapped packing tape in the bubblewrap pack left one with a front wheel detached... obviously Fate had spoken.

Note to shapeways - packing two bombers in the same bubble-wrap pack is a Bad Idea. Especially if you then wrap it as tight as a mummy with wrapping-tape.

Both WSF. Pix to follow when I get access to a camera with a macro again.

My modelling skills don't do these justice, but they're serviceable. I wouldn't attempt any Riviresco or Skytrex builds - my toolkit has been AWOL for a decade, and my eyes aren't as good as they were when I was 45.

Quote Originally Posted by miker View Post
    HUMPH!

They don't do the "polished" version for the Triplanes now - too difficult apparently.

Any comments on the "unpolished" variety?
    I ordered a set of three Sopwith triplanes in early June, and got them by the end of the month-- white flex unpolished.

The surfaces are a little rough-- pitted like a sand cast metal item. The rough surface shows up more when you paint with a light color.

They really need to be sanded/sealed, but the material is pretty hard, and doesn't seem to react much to my standard modeling sanding sticks.

The lad has made a Brisfit now!!

Looks like the O/400 is next. That's in the pipeline now, but no estimated time to availability, he's still working on it. Then possibly the Ca42/52 triplane bomber.