What are the stats for a Fokker DVIII
    I suggest O A 16 CR 1 Ceiling 14

Rotary engine 110hp 9 cylinder
    Max speed 204kph
    Twin machine guns
    Climb 1000m 2mins
    4000m 10.45mins/secs
    Ceiling 6000m

Construction of the fuselage was similar to that of the Dr1 however further strengthening was added. The wing was covered in plywood then covered with fabric adding extra strength.

Linz
    Last edited by Linz; 06-21-2011 at 23:18.

After a quick looking around the forum for alternatives I went for this:

Attachment 15340
    (Fictional paintscheme and fictional pilot)

M A 16 - I went for that for the moment, as I needed the plane at the front, quickly.

Max Headroom had the strength at 17, but I cant see why it should. I think it should be the same as the D.VII and most other fighters operational at that time. Sure it got just one wing, but that also gives it a smaller area to hit. That wing must have been pretty strongly built, as long as the builders did their work correctly after the plans.

About the M maneouver cards, I don't know the difference between the M and the O deck. I would like another deck than the one the Snipe uses, so maybe the O is the way to go?

The difference between the M and O decks. The M deck has one more sideslip to the right and one less 90degree turn to the left.
    So M or O perhaps M is better given that a Rotary engine would pull to the right.
    Linz

So M or O perhaps M is better given that a Rotary engine would pull to the right.
    Probably. The O is used by the Siemens-Schuckert, powered by Siemens-Halske engines. Those engines were rotaries, but with the crankshaft and the crankcase rotating at opposite directions, mostly eliminating the torque of a normal rotary.

Looks reasonable to me.

The siemenns engine with the opposing rotation would stop the traditional right pull experienced by the standard rotary where both the prop and cylinders turned in the same direction. Hence M over O deck.
    Linz

Damage capacity of 16 seems to high as the D.VIII was quickly removed from the frontline because it had a nasty tendency to rip of its own wings.
    IIRC only one allied aircraft was shot down by a D.VIIIduring its service time.

Damage capacity of 16 seems to high as the D.VIII was quickly removed from the frontline because it had a nasty tendency to rip of its own wings.
    It was the earlier "version" of the D.VIII that was removed from service, then called the Fokker E.V. The wings ripped off because of a design error. When they found that out they replaced the wings, gave it a new designation (D.VIII) and put it back into service. It was only in service for a short while before peace arrived, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Wombat View Post
    Probably. The O is used by the Siemens-Schuckert, powered by Siemens-Halske engines. Those engines were rotaries, but with the crankshaft and the crankcase rotating at opposite directions, mostly eliminating the torque of a normal rotary.
    I would go with the O in this case as well Jorgen.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Ah right! The E.V was the one with the faulty wings.
    On manoeuvreability: The german Wikipedia entry talks about that the Siemens-Schuckert is slighty more agile than the E.VIII.
    I would go for the O deck but with either one 90° left and right turn removed or the two superslides removed.

I would go for the O deck but with either one 90° left and right turn removed or the two superslides removed.
    Well, as the D.VIII do have a normal Oberursel rotary I would remove the 90° left in that case, but not the 90° right. That would make the only difference of the "O" to the "M" be one less right superslide. That would be all right to me. I don't really like to use the unmodified "O" as the D.VIII have a normal rotary.
    So my bet would be:
    "M" unmodified (easiest solution)
    or - if you want it to be less maneouverable - either (giving the same result):
    "M" with one less right superslide
    or
    "O" modified with one less 90° left.

I vote for the easiest solution. I don't like messing with the decks, except Immelmann turns, so I feel M gives the closest/most accurate maneuver deck.
    Linz

Rabbit 3's Avatar Squadron Leader Scotland.
    Captain

Users Country Flag

Name
    Robert
    Sorties Flown

Perhaps a better source for aircraft data is this link
    http://www.airminded.net/fokD8/fokd8.html
    We seem to be going in the right direction but, from the data found in this a climb rate of 1000 meters in two mins seems a bit optimistic.
    From these stats it looks like a game rating of 2 for climb is better.
    A damage rating of 16 is still pretty tough for a single-seater.
    A more average rating of 15 maybe?
    Last edited by Rabbit 3; 06-26-2011 at 07:54.

Seems you are not looking at the right era? Appears all the late war fighters are 16 except the DR.1. Now I would suggest a 17 or even 18 for the aircraft coming out in the last few months of the war. Compare to the aircraft ratings given in the game, not just in the books. Compare to the same time equivalent, not an average of the whole war.

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit 3 View Post
    Perhaps a better source for aircraft data is this link
    http://www.airminded.net/fokD8/fokd8.html
    We seem to be going in the right direction but, from the data found in this a climb rate of 1000 meters in two mins seems a bit optimistic.
    From these stats it looks like a game rating of 2 for climb is better.
    A damage rating of 16 is still pretty tough for a single-seater.
    A more average rating of 15 maybe?

Now I would suggest a 17 or even 18 for the aircraft coming out in the last few months of the war.
    Even the Snipe and the Fokker D.VII have 16, so I see no reason why the D.VIII would be any tougher?

Captain

Users Country Flag

Name
    Robert
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by wargamer View Post
    Seems you are not looking at the right era? Appears all the late war fighters are 16 except the DR.1. Now I would suggest a 17 or even 18 for the aircraft coming out in the last few months of the war. Compare to the aircraft ratings given in the game, not just in the books. Compare to the same time equivalent, not an average of the whole war.
    The only `official` plane with a rating of 17 is the French Breguet 14, a two-seater with a reputation for toughness.
    Anything much above that and you are in large seaplane / heavy bomber territory.
    The only single-seaters with a rating of 16 are the Fokker D.VIII, Pfalz D.III, Phoenix C.I, SE5a, Snipe and SPAD XIII all of which are considered to be some of the tougher fighters.
    A rating of 15 is in line with the Albatros D.Va, Siemens Schuckurt D.IV, Sopwith Camel and SPAD VII.
    Since the E.V/D.VIII appears not to have been all that rugged but tough enough when built properly then I think 15 is reasonable.

So I think I`m going for;
    M,A,15 Ceiling 14 Climb Rate 2
    Last edited by Rabbit 3; 06-26-2011 at 13:19.

More `Fokker` conspiracy theories !
    The DVIII and the EV, were practically the same plane !
    It was rebadged to fool pilots into thinking it was a new design.
    Poor quality control and bad workmanship on a highly loaded wing caused a string of wing failures.
    Fokker was instructed to put the failures right at his expense.
    Re design was really minimal, Just quality control.
    The DVIII/EV were really rare !

The wing on the DVIII was of stronger costructon than most fighters of it's turn. Being made firstly with standard rib then plywood covering them then covered with fabric. Hence you do not get the protruding rib effect.
    So with that in mind I go for damage of 16.
    Linz

If you guys are gonna fly a Fokker DVIII/EV, consider this...
    Unless i`ve read it wrongly...
    The Windsock data file states that the DVIII/EV only scored a single confirmed victory !
    And this pilot died when the wing of the DVIII failed !
    The only differences between the two were, a couple of strengthening webs and a change of varnish...
    It seems that including the DVIII really is a flight of fantasy !
    So guess i can have my 142mph Martinsyde F3 Buzzard with Rolls Royce engine then....lol
    And she was in service from december 1917 !

Some D8s were flown by the Poles against the Reds. Any info on how they flew for them?
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Lee I think you may have got that wrong only 1 kill for DVIII's
    There where 289 built most in service.
    At least 50 kills. Including the last aircraft to be shot down in WW1 was shot down by a DVIII.
    The British pilots respected it and queried weather it and the DVII where better than anything the British had.
    Linz

Have we got a decision on stats.
    From my reading we seem to have
    M A 16 (compromise between 15 & 17) Ceiling 14 c/r 2
    All in favor say aye.
    I heard an aye so the aye's have it.
    Let's get it posted to the master list

Yea from me. What about the rest of you chaps, or is it only camels that are built by a committee?
    Rob.

Sounds like we have a consensus. I will mention an option to remove one right super-slide from the deck.

Here is a photograph I took of a 5/8th scale model of a Fokker E.V/D.VIII in teh Norfolk and Suffolk Aviation Museum in the U.K.. The museum also has a real nose gunner's cockpit from a Felixstowe 5 flying boat that was used as a garden shed for many years.

Useful picture David. Don't suppose you have any info about the original pilot or where it was assigned?
    Rob.

Captain

Users Country Flag

Name
    Robert
    Sorties Flown

It actually looks like its colour scheme is based on Richard Wenzl`s plane, though it appears to be missing the black and white fuselage band.
    Handy because I`ve already posted a card for it.
    Attachment 21451
    Last edited by Rabbit 3; 09-01-2011 at 01:58.

I am sorry. I did not make a note of what it said in the museum. However, the lozenge camouflage on the model is similar to those in a pictures of a Fokker E.V's from Jasta 6 on pages 184 & 185 of 'Aircraft of World War I' by Jack Herris and Bob Pearson.

Don't worry about it Dave. I have that book, so will look it up. Thanks for the answer.
    Rob.

Hunter's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Terry
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit 3 View Post
    It actually looks like its colour scheme is based on Richard Wenzl`s plane, though it appears to be missing the black and white fuselage band.
    Handy because I`ve already posted a card for it.
    Attachment 21451
    I agree, looks good to me. Thank you. Now off to find a DVIII.