Ares Games

Thread: Totally off subject....

Default Totally off subject....

I just finished watching the "mid series finale" (episode 6) of series 6 of BBC's Doctor Who... and I am stunned... amazed... totally blown away! If I did not have so much to get done before Origins I would sit down and watch all six of the first episodes over again.

Just curious if there are any other Doctor fans here... and what they think?
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams

yep I am, I been watching Dr Who since the very first episode back in ....well My fav Doc was the Second Dr but I must admit to enjoying all of the re-vamped ones starting with Chris Eccleston, David Tennent & the new Matt Smith. As for the ep you are talking about, must admit didnt see that one coming at all now got to wait until the autumn to see what happens...what bright spark thought up the mid season break but we will see

Yep, me too from the start (another old bugger ) and I have enjoyed this last series as well, although the last one left me slightly disappointed as I had guessed who River was a little while ago and the big battle was a bit of a damp squib.
    My favourite Doctor is David Tennant who fit the bill brilliantly
    Roll on autumn for the next episodes

Rich

Never as good as it was in the 60's when cybermen were genuinely scary and didn't move like chorus dancers.....

My nightmares started with Exterminate Exterminate, I
    Still gives me a chill
    Linz

John Pertwee.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    John Pertwee.
    Rob.
    Yowsa, I was only three years old when he first played the Doctor... You are most definitely a long time fan!
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams

Quote Originally Posted by The Cowman View Post
    Yowsa, I was only three years old when he first played the Doctor... You are most definitely a long time fan!
    Yes Ken, I can still remember hiding behind the sofa when William Hartnell was the Dr. in the very first episode.
    Rob.

Nope still Patrick Troughton for me, fighting off the Yeti, they were scary, Daleks & Cybermen, meeting Captain Lefbridge Stewart for the first time, the "Wargames" story was good and then meeting Jamie just after Culloden ahhhh those were the days

November 1963 was the first episode

I also remember the 1st episode being totally p**s off when the Darlecks only came in the last seconds of the program!

Quote Originally Posted by Boney10 View Post

November 1963 was the first episode
    23 November to be precise - just got back from a plane spotting session at Heathrow. Those were the days indeed, serious doctors without gimmicks, wobbly scenery, decent stories you could understand, Daleks confounded by a flight of stairs, Leela.....

Anybody else found the 28mm Dalek that Shapeways does?
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Enjoyable episode, River's identity wasn't much of a surprise (fan forums worked it out last series) but the Flesh-baby was. Can't wait until the Autumn to see how it all works out (next episode "Let's Kill Hitler"). Did they show the little clip after the titles in the US (skeletal hand holding a sonic screwdriver) ?

I've really liked Matt Smith's tenure as the Doctor. A lot of that's down to Steven Moffat's writing, in fact it's well worth checking out Sherlock and Jekyll if you like his stuff (both on DVD, clips all over YouTube). He should give Madame Vaska and Jenny their own series ("Am I being insensitive again ? I don't know what you see in me". Cue lizard tongue knocking out a guy on the other side of the room). Half- joking.

I was born the same year Doctor Who started, so the first Doctor I remember watching (from behind the sofa of course) was Jon Pertwee's, although I've since seen a lot of the earlier ones. Tom Baker's "my" Doctor, even met him once during his run.
    Last edited by IRM; 06-13-2011 at 06:36.

John Pertwee's my fav. Met his brother Bill he ran a burger bar in Acton W3 London (just by Acton Town Tube Station) in the early 80s had it decorated with Dr Who photos. Great burgers 1/4 and 1/2 pound meat patties. Dam can almost taste them.
    Linz

Quote Originally Posted by Linz View Post
    John Pertwee's my fav. Met his brother Bill he ran a burger bar in Acton W3 London (just by Acton Town Tube Station) in the early 80s had it decorated with Dr Who photos. Great burgers 1/4 and 1/2 pound meat patties. Dam can almost taste them.
    Linz
    I think I am going to go get a snack now... <insert T.A.R.D.I.S. sound here>
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

Been a fan since I "discovered" the show in the 70's. Met Tom Baker in Chicago at a Dr Who con in the early 80's. Got my picture taken with Leela . A teenage boys dream come true.
    I enjoyed the episode. The River is thing I never saw coming but the flesh baby i did.

Going to go have a jelly baby now.

big fan.. and a big Baker fan.. I liked Eccleston but the rest have left me flat.. haven't even watched them since.. I had a friend back in the 80s that knitted his own scarf ala Baker.. used show stills and other info to make it as exact as possible.. man that thing was huge.. lol..

EXTERMINATE
    EXTERMINATE
    EXTERMINATE

gotta love those guys.. he he he

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Never saw this episode but my favourite Doctor has to be Tom Baker. Lost plot with Dr Who circa 1989 as I had grown out of it and was discovering other things like beer that year instead!

Interesting comment once made to me about the original Dr Who theme tune - that it was written by a woman on the Central Line who was travelling to the BBC in Shepherds Bush. The sound of the train in the tunnel gave her the idea for the theme tune.

Got to admit that I can believe this even though it does sound completely urban myth / legend ...

II'm Jon Pertwee fan myself. That period with himself and Brig. Lethbridge Stewart just seemed to fit my mood.
    Rob.

If you live in the U.K. , the Horror Channel (Freeview channel 70) is showing old episodes of Doctor Who.

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    If you live in the U.K. , the Horror Channel (Freeview channel 70) is showing old episodes of Doctor Who.
    Sometimes I really wish I did live in the U.K. I would at least like to see London before I crash and burn!
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

Also a Dr Who fan since the very first episode - Jon Pertwee was my favourite "old style" Doctor I think - mainly 'cos his era introduced some of my all-time great villains (the Master, Silurians / Sea Devils / Autons). I also like the modern Doctors.

On a side note, my wife was a librarian before she retired last year, and both Tom Baker and Louise Jameson were occasional visitors to her library.

Definitely my favourite Dr Who / Companions combination