Ares Games
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Custom Wings of War Terrain - free files!

Default Custom Wings of War Terrain - free files!

Hello everyone!

About a year ago I was browsing the Aerodrome forums in search of terrain options when I stumbled across a thread called "More Gaming Mats?". Within, many of the forum members were swapping links and recommendations for their favorite Wings of War gaming surface. My interest was piqued, but I just wasn't satisfied with the quality of the official 'mouse-pad' mats from Nexus. Convenient and as colorful as they are, they didn't translate the gritty atmosphere of the western front. So it began that I set out on a quest to design my own Wings of War mat. And ... BEHOLD!

The result was an extremely large digital file that would later become the final design for a 3 foot by 8 foot vinyl mat. Creating the thing wasn't the problem; I had no clue as to how I was going to print it! Fortunately for me, I have a friend who works at Fed-Ex/Kinkos that was willing to print it out for free :eek2:!

Without meaning to, I spent the next several weeks hijacking the "More Game Mats?" thread with pictures and links to free files which I had uploaded. I have since realized that some of the information on that thread had gotten a bit confusing, what with links and pictures spread across multiple posts, so I was of the mind that I should consolidate them all here into a new thread. Below you should find all the necessary links to the aforementioned files, available in various sizes.

Happy flying!
    Lugburz

Current sizes include: 4'x6', 3'x8'; (3'x5' coming soon by special request c/o Officer Kyte)
    Each size is available in TWO versions: with corner logos & without

Disclaimer
    If any of the links below stop working or you have questions, please do not hesitate to let me know. The files are currently hosted using a free provider, so the lifespan of each link may be subject to change (I'll fix them as they break down).

-------------------

SIZE: 3' x 8' ft Wings of War Gaming Mat

(Image preview not to scale)

Specifications: 3' x 8' ft, @ 200dpi -- file size 547mb.

3' x 8' ft Game Mat Files
    WITH Logos: http://www.wingsofwar.org/keegan/LAR...r_game_mat.tif
    Without Logos: http://www.wingsofwar.org/keegan/LAR...mat_NOLOGO.tif

-------------------

SIZE: 4' x 6' ft Wings of War Gaming Mat

Specifications: 4' x 6' ft, @ 200dpi -- file size 527mb.

4' x 6' ft Game Mat Files
    WITH Logos: http://www.wingsofwar.org/keegan/SMA...r_game_mat.tif
    Without Logos: http://www.wingsofwar.org/keegan/SMA...mat_NOLOGO.tif

-------------------

SIZE: 3' x 5' ft Wings of War Gaming Mat

Specifications: 3' x 5' ft, @ 200dpi -- file size 328mb.

3' x 5' ft Game Mat Files
    WITH Logos: N/A
    Without Logos: http://www.wingsofwar.org/keegan/3x5...mat_NOLOGO.tif
    Last edited by Lugburz; 05-04-2012 at 15:37.

Action Shots!

Last edited by Lugburz; 06-09-2011 at 14:27.

Dear Lugburz, the downloading process is horrible, also due to the file size. Is there any other way to get the file? Could you for example send a CD burnt, or sth. I'd cover the expences and stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightbomber View Post
    Dear Lugburz, the downloading process is horrible, also due to the file size. Is there any other way to get the file? Could you for example send a CD burnt, or sth. I'd cover the expences and stuff.
    Well, I certainly have nothing against mailing you a burned CD/DVD, provided you pay shipping, but in the time it would take to ship from the eastern United States to Poland, you could probably have downloaded the file multiple times. I know that certain internet providers can be slow, but you are probably better off saving your money and just leaving your computer on overnight while it downloads. That's my best recommendation. Besides, you will need to save that money for when you're ready to print it out!

Thanks for the downloads, I plan on getting one made.

My computer just finished uploading a 3' x 5' version (without logos), hosted especially for Officer Kyte. See the opening post, #1, for a link to the file. As you can see -- it mostly features "No Mans Land" above all else.

Lugz

Excellent game mat. I will get my son who works for a goverment deparment to down load one my little lap top could not handle it!

Hunter's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Terry
    Sorties Flown

Very nice looking game mats. However, I did not see any logos on any of the corners!

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter View Post
    Very nice looking game mats. However, I did not see any logos on any of the corners!
    Look at the first two image previews, specifically for the 3x8 and the 4x6 — you will see the Wings of War logo displayed in alternating corners of the mat. Each logo has a subtle green hue (as original critics said the buttermilk yellow I had originally used was too bright and distracting). Try right-clicking the preview images and select "open in new window" or "open in new tab"; they are sometimes resized by your web-browser/the forums. If you are positive that you downloaded the file with logos, and not without, let me know and I can confirm and re-upload a corrected version.

Happy flying!
    Lugz
    Last edited by Lugburz; 06-10-2011 at 06:40.

Thanks these are excellent and useful files.

Greetings,
    These are indeed excellent! Thank you.
    Can anyone indicate UK based printers that can cope with these sizes? And costs?

On the basis of 'if you dont ask, you dont get', could you do a version without the no-mans land section (just green fields, and/or maybe a small town(!)), and I know some have previously indicated a desire for the white cliffs of dover - can you do a coastal/half sea map?

Cheers
    Dave

Default PAV must have been reading your mind

Quote Originally Posted by FerretDave View Post
    Greetings,
    These are indeed excellent! Thank you.
    Can anyone indicate UK based printers that can cope with these sizes? And costs?

On the basis of 'if you dont ask, you dont get', could you do a version without the no-mans land section (just green fields, and/or maybe a small town(!)), and I know some have previously indicated a desire for the white cliffs of dover - can you do a coastal/half sea map?

Cheers
    Dave
    Dave, YOU'RE IN LUCK!

As fate would have it, another forum member has already created the maps you asked for. Funny enough, they are exactly as you asked for. Check out PAV's responses at this thread here: http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...aps-any-source

Lugz

Has anyone found a commercial printer in the UK and their costs?

Based on the download stats from the hosting site I'm using, the design certainly seems popular enough

The only thing I ask: If you print out a copy, send/post me photos of your mat in action so I can see how it turned out.

Lugz

Any chance of a 6 x 6?

Users Country Flag

Name
    Juan Carlos
    Sorties Flown

Are these files available yet?

There is no "Megaupload" right now. Are they hosted in another server?

I am quite interested in them.

Thank you.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Bart
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by chartoh View Post
    Are these files available yet?

There is no "Megaupload" right now. Are they hosted in another server?

I am quite interested in them.

Thank you.
    I'll second that. I would like them also. They look great!

Again - can anyone comment on what these cost to print?

Lugz isn't getting on the site quite so much at the moment chaps so you may have to wait a few days for his answer.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

I love that the base of the map is my map from 2008 (created for WoW off of Domjan Svilkovic's map)....

Now I don't have to really work on finishing my sequel as this one works out just fine!

Nice update to it!

If I could aquire the file(s), I can share them off my "box" account. I've got 50 gig just waiting to be used.....

Puzzledust

I would really like a copy of this too if anyone has it.

Thanks!

when I click on the link for the 3x8 foot map I get an FBI piracy warming! What is up with that?

Quote Originally Posted by skyking20 View Post
    when I click on the link for the 3x8 foot map I get an FBI piracy warming! What is up with that?
    Erm... Did you miss the whole Megaupload being taken down by FBI and the owner facing 50 years imprisonment?

And no, I am not kidding...

Wow 50 years! I wonder if they will let him play Wings of Glory in the pen? Any way, are the files available anywhere else? I am thinking the files are okay - just the site was illegal.

Quote Originally Posted by Watchdog View Post
    Erm... Did you miss the whole Megaupload being taken down by FBI and the owner facing 50 years imprisonment?

And no, I am not kidding...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Megaupload

Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Quote Originally Posted by skyking20 View Post
    Wow 50 years! I wonder if they will let him play Wings of Glory in the pen? Any way, are the files available anywhere else? I am thinking the files are okay - just the site was illegal.
    If FBI's standard procedure is the same as ours, the servers with the data themselves were seized, meaning the files are physically gone from Internet and in case of the owner being found guilty, those servers (meaning the machines) will be officially confiscated by the state as items used to commit a criminal act, much like the way a car used to carry money robbed from a bank would be seized and then confiscated by the state after a court decision.

I sincerely apologize for my lack of response -- I currently work 6 days a week and my schedule is killing me! I've been in contact with Keith (the Wings of Glory site admin), and I have successfully uploaded ALL of my game mat files here on the website. The directory for the files is as follows: http://www.wingsofwar.org/keegan/

Cheers, and best of luck!

Keegan/Lugburz

PS: I had mine printed out by a friend who worked at FedEx/Kinkos. It was printed on vinyl sign material (matte finish) — it looks incredible in person!

Users Country Flag

Name
    Bart
    Sorties Flown

Thanks Lugburz!!!

I'm sure it will have been worth the wait. They look awesome in the photos!

Thanks Keegan, I think I will try for a 6x4 for my games club. This will really bring it to life!

Dave

I would take it to a signwriter or one of those companies that prints it on thick vinyl used on outdoor banners and billboards... That way it's much sturdier and you can roll it up easier without too much curl on the edges. Some vinyls have a 'texture' to them which could add to the effect!

Users Country Flag

Name
    Tom
    Sorties Flown

Is anyone having trouble downloading the files?
    My system tries to download them using Quicktime.
    trumpetman52

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Lugburz View Post
    I sincerely apologize for my lack of response -- I currently work 6 days a week and my schedule is killing me! I've been in contact with Keith (the Wings of Glory site admin), and I have successfully uploaded ALL of my game mat files here on the website. The directory for the files is as follows: http://www.wingsofwar.org/keegan/

Cheers, and best of luck!

Keegan/Lugburz

PS: I had mine printed out by a friend who worked at FedEx/Kinkos. It was printed on vinyl sign material (matte finish) — it looks incredible in person!
    About time the Feds let you out on weekend leave Lugs!

We have been missing you!

I love these images, but don't really want to play on vinyl. The stands tend to slide. Does anyone know of any company that will print on the same material as a mouse pad? You know, cloth top, nonskid rubber back? I can find custom pad and table mat print companies on line, but none do larger sizes (say four feet (120 cm) on a side), and the smallest minimum order I've seen is 100 units.

Thanks!

Default 6x4' game mat

Quote Originally Posted by pstapleton53 View Post
    I love these images, but don't really want to play on vinyl. The stands tend to slide. Does anyone know of any company that will print on the same material as a mouse pad? You know, cloth top, nonskid rubber back? I can find custom pad and table mat print companies on line, but none do larger sizes (say four feet (120 cm) on a side), and the smallest minimum order I've seen is 100 units.

Thanks!
    I have found someone in the UK who can print the mats but I am having problems with the download has anyone actually managed to down load the new files??
    plus which one is which for size.

Regards Kev

I have some vinyl maps but I must admit, the mousepad type maps play better.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dave
    Sorties Flown

Is 3' by 8' the magically right size? Hmmm.

Quote Originally Posted by Kugelblitz View Post
    Is 3' by 8' the magically right size? Hmmm.
    We use 6'x4' to give the bombers a chance of turning as they are so slow and need the space to turn do not forget I have never seen a Gotha do an Immelman

Vanidil

Quote Originally Posted by trumpetman52 View Post
    Is anyone having trouble downloading the files?
    My system tries to download them using Quicktime.
    trumpetman52
    I'm having the same issue. These look great. I wish I could download it. Any help with how to get it would be appreciated.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Tom
    Sorties Flown

Don't feel bad vanidil. I haven't heard of a solution since the 6th of last month.
    trumpetman52

Default 6x4 no joy?

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    I just tried the 3 x 5 mat and it loaded O.K.
    Rob.
    Morning all tried the 6x4 again and it just stopped and crashed after 40 minutes! any help on this would be most welcome

Regards Kev

I had no problem downloading it. Maybe too big for your destination folder or something? Uses almost 300 MB.

/Jörgen

Default 6x4 game mat

[QUOTE=Wombat;153216]I had no problem downloading it. Maybe too big for your destination folder or something? Uses almost 300 MB.

WOW that is a big file that's why my poor old computer can not stand the down load

Do any of you have the 6x4 map and can put it on a disk I will pay P&P etc just to get a copy to try and have it printed??

Regards Kev

I download them all but have not printed them. Would they work on a plotter? I have the regular mats but like variety. I once made my own map from various pieces of a world map from a computer game. It came out looking good. If I can find the file I will post it.
    sky

Vanidil

Trumpetman52,

I got it to work. I deleted quicktime (I don't think it is necessary though), then I right clicked on the link above for the 4 X 6 mat. Then I clicked "Save link as." It proceeded to save it to My photos. It worked without a hitch and then I downloaded it to my thumb drive. I hope this helps.

T. j.

Has anyone got any further with this in the UK - I'm looking for a 6x4 ?

Logically we really should think about pooling our requirements in the UK and seeing if we can get a batch printed?

Vanidil

I want to thank Lugz for the terrain matt. I was able to get a 4 x 6 from half price banner in less than a week and my sons and I flew our first mission on it today. It looks great!

Quote Originally Posted by PilGrim View Post
    Has anyone got any further with this in the UK - I'm looking for a 6x4 ?

Logically we really should think about pooling our requirements in the UK and seeing if we can get a batch printed?
    I have found somewhere that will do the 8x3 for £56 and for x10 that goes down to £45. Anyone interested?

Excellent graphics! Now I just need a similar English Channel/Dover 8x3...

Those look GREAT I'll see if I can get my son to load it.

pmerighi

Thanks, This is awesome!!!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast