Ares Games

Thread: 1st game via Skype

Default 1st game via Skype

Pleased to anounce that the first Skype game against Bill (Brobin) and his son Tim went down well, As the Germans with a DR1 and an albatross we put up a courageous fight agaianst 2 Camels, The DR1 got 1 Camel before being grounded and the Albatross flew off to fight another day With an overhead web cam shot , running commentary and Bil doing all the movements it was just like being there in the flesh. Give it a go if you can.

Paul,
    Congratulations on using technical innovation to overcome physical isolation. I hope that was the first of many enjoyable games you'll have via Skype.
    BofB

Thanks Baldrick, Its 1 step up from PBEM and good for those dark winter months. Currently original member 52nd Bulldog Sq in the Over the trenches campaign and loving the international flavour to the game. it appears we can all get a game going now thanks to the WWW.

Paul

Really interesting, Paul. It's a nice way to overcome physical distance between playes with a Skype free account.

Please, can you publish some web cam shot and more details the next time?

Attilio

love to but I need to find some fellow Skypers
    Paul

There are some Skype name in the wingmen profile. I've a Skype account for example.

Perhaps the issue is the time zone with our overseas friends but with European players into +/1 hour of time difference (from Ireland to East Europe) it couldn't be a great problem in a holiday. It would take just a little patience with my english ...

Attilio

OK,
    Great minds think alike. I came up with a crazy idea, and started to work out details to make it playable and put together a decent post, I thought I'd search the forum for any other great ideas. Why am I not surprised!

Je voudrais essayer un jeu, si nous pouvons organiser un moment mutuellement convenu. Je peux parler un peu en francais, mais pas beaucoup.

Mike :-)
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 03-02-2013 at 19:38. Reason: darn auto correct doesn't like French

Weel done! I look forward with great interest to read your new ideas

I've just recently got Skype so I'd be interested in having a bash once I've got the hang of it.

Why not find out how many of us have a Skype account , then potentially we could have an international tournament for both WWI & WWII with the winners getting a new medal added to their profiles , what does everyone think about this then ?

Im game for a game,
    Paul

Got skype, never used it and don't know how. If someone has the time to talk me through it would love to partake.

Well I've got to work out how to Skype as well , but once we've sorted that out Neil is be happy to game against you mate.

Skype is easy.
    Power it up, and check out your setup with the Echo Service. This will check out your audio, at least. You need a microphone and speakers, minimum. I was planning on using my laptop, as it has a built-in mic, speakers, and a camera. And I can set it up in the dining room, on or near the table I use, for oversight on the game. There are conference call possibilities, but only audio, I think. However, even that would work, with some trust. My plan is to use a laptop, so I can 'zoom' in on the action, as necessary.

Set up a time to connect, and one person initiates the call. As long as you have the Skype name of the person you want to reach, and they are online, you do a search, click on the name (if you know any of their public information, it should be easy to get the right person), and it sends a friend request. The other person accepts. You are Skyping. You can choose video, or audio only.

My idea for a Skype game is to use the minimum gaming surface, between the two players (lE: I have a 3 1/2 foot by 6 foot table, if my opponent has a 4x4, we mark off a mutually comparable area on our two tables, such as 3 1/2 x 4).

The person who invited the call is the 'home' player, and the other(s) is/are the visitor(s). All shooting measurements are taken from the home table, for consistency, even though both players are duplicating the game on each table. The players follow the same procedure used above. Play the game, taking pictures as desired with a camera or screen captures.

I think it would work out great, as proofed above. It might work with the home on video, and others in conference audio only, but that would have to be trialed.

I look forward to lots of trials!

Mike :-)

The Skype gaming sounds really interesting. And a new twist to face to face gaming :-)

Looking forward to see how this develops.

Have fun!

I've used it in a link to Canada playing role play....worked out very well. Be interesting to use it for a WoGF game though....

Sorry not skype but a webcam, same idea I suppose?

Ive got a Skype game booked with oldguy59 (Mike) this weekend will give you a debrief next week.

Default Skype game - At last!

All,
    Tikkifriend and I finally got the social obligations out of the way, and overcame the 9 hour difference in time between us.

The results are posted here: International Skype Game - France vs Canada - March 2013 AAR

Please give it a look, and both Paul and I are looking for more opponents!

Mike

Hi Mike it was a great set of games . The Photos are brilliant Hope to meet you in the skies in the next few weeks or so

Paul

This is good to hear that it works. I myself have thought about gaming with Skype this now inspires me. Col how about you put in a section in members profiles to tell others that we have Skype and are intrested in doing so. I would love to be able to do this

Just got to get on board with this. All I need now is a headset with a mic and work out how the skype works!

Sounds interesting, will watch for further developments...

Quote Originally Posted by Skafloc View Post
    Just got to get on board with this. All I need now is a headset with a mic and work out how the skype works!
    Skafloc,
    A headset and mic might not be the best, if you aren't using a wireless one. The wire trailing across the table top would not be good. Note in the setup picture, I used the laptop mic and camera. My better half has a Logitech Webcam, but I had a bit of trouble setting it up. However, this morning, I tried to re-install it, and the "Plug-and-Play" thing worked great this morning. So next game, I will have a portable camera to "carefully" move over the action for close-ups. I could, and did, do without it though.

Just saying... And I hope to meet you online for a game!

Mike

I had a friend that used to do this with Warhammer. Glad to hear that it went well, and look forward to hearing about more Skype games!