Ares Games

Thread: AIRCO DH2 IN FLIGHT - THE LAST SURVIVNG ONE!

Default AIRCO DH2 IN FLIGHT - THE LAST SURVIVNG ONE!

The DH2 will be released with Set 5, so when I came across this, I thought the rest of you here might enjoy seeing it:

Wonderful - Thanks for sharing Brian!

I'm quite fond of the DH2, it's a funny little plane.

Imagine going into combat in that - Not much more than a box car with wings!

/Niclas

Rabbit 3's Avatar Squadron Leader Scotland.
    Captain

Users Country Flag

Name
    Robert
    Sorties Flown

Nice video, I suspect though that its a replica rather than an original.
    For one thing it has a raidial engine fitted rather than the original`s rotary.
    There`s something odd about the tail as well.

In the Video, they do state that the engine is a replacement, as teh original only produced 90hp, and no-one was willing to fly it with such a weak powered engine. The replacement is a 1940 era engine producing 110hp.

They also state that it was built in 1974 from original blueprints (min 1.05), so a replica, but still a fun piece of engineering. Thanks for sharing.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Quote Originally Posted by Niclas View Post
    Wonderful - Thanks for sharing Brian!

I'm quite fond of the DH2, it's a funny little plane.

Imagine going into combat in that - Not much more than a box car with wings!

/Niclas
    Box car! more like a bath tub
    Don

It appears that the vertical tail has had the area increased by adding to it in front of the rudder and below the overhead strut. Since the fellow says they increased the hp to 130 it probably required adding tail area to keep it stable.

Thanks for sharing Brian! Nice video

Attilio

Thank you for posting this interesting video.

Question

Thanks Brian, Great Clip. Apart from the Tail the nose looks a bit strange!
    Compare to this Pic.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WW1 DH2 Andrews.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	103.6 KB 
ID:	14127

If nothing else it gives an idea of what it was like to fly a DH2. Nice one.

thanks for sharing...Interesting clip!

Very cool one of my favourites from many years ago.
    Linz

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Linz View Post
    Very cool one of my favourites from many years ago.
    Linz
    Yeah, I made a 1/72 Airfix that was my pride & Joy untill my wife tried to "dust" it.
    Those Booms dont like being dusted! But at least I was off the leash for quite a long time.

It's quite worthwhile having ones wife damage an aircraft.
    I brought home a damaged reviresco DVIII handed it to wifey and as I was saying I will have to be careful straightening the wing struts she broke the top wing off. Just one of those things that happen and it will make it easier to repair was my reply. Lots of brownie points for me.
    Linz

This is a plane that me and my Dad built and kitting out. This is a link to my thread in Indoor Micro section:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1122519

DH.2 SPECIFICATIONS:

Wingspan……… 13 3/8’’
    Length…………. 11 13/16’’
    Weight…………. 27 grams
    3 or 4 channels
    Thread or push rod controls

The Kits are $40.00 plus shipping just private message us with your address and zip and we will give the price. We use Paypal. This is a work of love and a lot of fun doing this.

Scott and Mike

Vid of the DH2 flying. This one was taken at the KC fun fly at the TWA air museum.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QebMGpGzE74

Thumbs up

That is just brillient Mike. Love all the rigging wires.

Thanks for that Brian. Only just caught up with it. Great little clip, and the comments from the pilot are worth a lot.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Bert Angle

There are two replica DH2s, the one featured at Wickenby, the other is at the Great War Museum in New Zealand. The UK based one was built from the original plans but does have a radial in place of the original Monosaupape rotary, and an extra fin area. The fuselage was modified in the 1970s to make it look like a Vickers Gunbus for the BBC series 'Wings' and although it was converted back it is slightly different to the original.

The Wickenby DH2 is planned to fly to France this November to appear at the unveiling of a memorial to Major Lanoe Hawker VC, DSO in the village of Ligny Thilloy on the Somme. The memorial is being built close to the place where Hawker was buried after being shotdown by the Red Baron in November 1916; the exact site of the grave was lost during the following two years of war. The DH2 will also appear at the main Rembrance Day commemorations at Thiepval in the morning. The DH2 will be the first to fly over the English Channel and the Western Front since 1918.

The memorial is being constructed by the present day XXIV Squadron as Hawker was their first Commanding Oficer in 1915. The Wickenby DH2 is painted in the colours of Hawker's 5964, from A Flight, 24 Squadron, which he was flying on the day he was killed.

The Squadron is raising all the money for the memorial and for the operating costs of the DH2 by donation. Donations can be made to 'The Hawker Memorial Fund', A Flight, Number XXIV Squadron, Royal Air Force Lyneham, Chippenham, Wiltshire, SN15 4PZ.

There is also a raffle, with prizes including:

1. 'Top Gun' air combat experience with Ultimate High at Kemble.
    2. Flight in an Sbach (unlimited competition aerobatic aircraft) with the British aerobatic champion, Gerald Cooper.
    3. Flight in a tiger Moth at Gloucester.

Plus various avaiation art, etc.

Tickets can be obtained from the above address.