Ares Games

Thread: Sopwith Dolphin

Default Sopwith Dolphin

Transferred from Sopwith Pup thread:

maka321:
    What about the Sopwith Dolphin
    rated as fast as a SE5A and as agile as a Camel.
    One thread rated it as N A 16 the same as the SE5A but that doesn't seem right.

I do admit that after being severely handled on the week end by a flight of these new "foker" DVII's, two camels into no mans land and one home with fabric
    streaming behind and wounded twice in three missions, I need a flying battlecruiser.

So I have opened my modelling drawer and started building my Revesco Dolphin to go with the two Bristol Fighters

==========================================
    Batesyboy:
    I would guess that the SE5a and the Sopwith Dolphin would be as close to parity as you can get
    They were both powered by the same (or similar) engines, and were both agile enough...
    Turning speed isn`t really reflected in this game at all, in as much as, the slower you`re going, the tighter you could turn.
    I don`t like the blanket `K` deck for almost every two seater from a `1/1/2 Strutter, a Roland C2, through to Rumpler C`s
    Having said that though, i think the mechanics of this game are streets ahead of any other ww1 flight game

==================================
    Kyte:
    I think that the advantage of the Dolphin was that it could be up gunned and carry twin Lewis and also two Vickers on the top wing cross member. How this effected it's very good rate of climb is a matter for discussion, but for fire power buffs, it could also sport two further Lewis guns on the lower wings. these could not be re loaded in flight, but must have been very useful at the moment of decision!
    Rob.

On the Dolphin, to condense info from a previous thread...
    Only one squadron featured the wing guns.
    The Cockpit was too cramped for both Lewis guns, so the general orders were that only one (fixed to the leading edge of the cockpit frame)
    was to be carried
    Also the vickers and Lewis (cockpit) guns could only be fired independantly, the Lewis and Vickers had differing lines of sight

Rabbit 3's Avatar Squadron Leader Scotland.
    Captain

Users Country Flag

Name
    Robert
    Sorties Flown

Kyte:
    I think that the advantage of the Dolphin was that it could be up gunned and carry twin Lewis and also two Vickers on the top wing cross member. How this effected it's very good rate of climb is a matter for discussion, but for fire power buffs, it could also sport two further Lewis guns on the lower wings. these could not be re loaded in flight, but must have been very useful at the moment of decision!
    Rob.
    Judging by some anecdotal evidence the Dolphin`s main advantage was it`s very much better ceiling when compared with the S.E.5a.
    It was apparently the only Allied type available that could take on the Fokker D.VII at that type`s maximum altitude.
    For myself I think the stats should be something like,
    Maneuver N, Guns A or A/B (seperate guns firing into forward arc), Damage 15, Max altitude 14, Climb 3 (it`s climb rate falls in to the same range as the Albatros D.V and Neiuport 17).
    Last edited by Rabbit 3; 05-27-2011 at 02:54.

Could we add this to the masterr list

Quote Originally Posted by macka321 View Post
    Could we add this to the masterr list
    I think we should do.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."