Ares Games

Thread: Map making II

Lightbulb Map making II

I also started to make a "map" for WoW but since I will go a completly other way than Philippe I opened a new threat.

Inspired by Geo Hex I am going to go for hex fields. The pieces will have diferent colours to code different regions and heights:
    blue - water - level 0
    green - flat country - level 1
    brown- hills - level 2
    black - mountains - level 3

As material I thought about foam rubber because it is easy to handle und schould be quite sticky. But when I made the first exemplar I found out that it is not as sticky as I would like it to be...

Does anybody have an idea? Maybe another material, a treatment or something to put on the backside of the pieces? Or something you can put between the foam rubber pieces and the table (some kind of tablecloth or gaming mat)?

Users Country Flag

Blog Entries
    Name
    Philippe
    Sorties Flown

Humm the rubber there are many different types. I'm not at work this morning i'm on the train right now going to a Transportation Expo for work but this afternoon I have plenty of samples that I could look at and give you where to get it.

On what surface are you putting the rubber? Maybe some type of foam tape could be easy to get from 3M and easy to apply...

I like you Hex idea because you can move and place the tiles differently.

I want to use them on a wooden table. The table is my dining table. Therefore I do not want to glue it down...

What about putting that rubbery stuff they make to line kitchen selves and such?

Quote Originally Posted by Col. Hajj View Post
    What about putting that rubbery stuff they make to line kitchen selves and such?
    Could be an idea. I have to look where I can get this stuff here...

If you have a Wal Mart near you (at least they used to have them in Germany the last time I was there), they should carry them. They do here in the States and they are in the kitchen/home area.

The only Wal Mart I knew closed 2 years ago. But I think I haver had another idea. Yesterday on the phone my mother told me about a rubber tablecloth you put under the normal tablecloth to stop shifting of the normal tablecloth. I think I will try this.

Please post pictures when you have completed your map. I'm interested to see how it turns out.

No problem. But I think it will take me a few weeks to get the rubber tablecloth and to cut the pieces...

Quote Originally Posted by The Blue Baron View Post
    I also started to make a "map" for WoW but since I will go a completly other way than Philippe I opened a new threat.

Inspired by Geo Hex I am going to go for hex fields. The pieces will have diferent colours to code different regions and heights:
    blue - water - level 0
    green - flat country - level 1
    brown- hills - level 2
    black - mountains - level 3

As material I thought about foam rubber because it is easy to handle und schould be quite sticky. But when I made the first exemplar I found out that it is not as sticky as I would like it to be...

Does anybody have an idea? Maybe another material, a treatment or something to put on the backside of the pieces? Or something you can put between the foam rubber pieces and the table (some kind of tablecloth or gaming mat)?
    What kind of maps are we talking about? 2D or 3D?

I have made several 2D maps ready to play for WoW also. From the frozen steppes of Russia, to the Libya desert or the landscape of Western France, I have it all.

Have a look:
    1. Extreme North - Kola Peninsula: http://aaminis.myfastforum.org/about10166.html
    2. Ukraine steppes: http://aaminis.myfastforum.org/about9605.html
    3. Western France: http://aaminis.myfastforum.org/about8050.html
    4. North Africa Desert: http://aaminis.myfastforum.org/about7244.html
    5. Normandy: http://aaminis.myfastforum.org/about7961.html
    6. Pacific Islands: http://aaminis.myfastforum.org/about8434.html
    7. Besieged town in winter: http://aaminis.myfastforum.org/about7156.html

So look for the pics, ignore the rest. The maps are very big, almost 2m x2m, having 4 sheets that come together to create a map. It's a kind of "satellite view" and I guess they could go with WoW very easily. The hexes can be printed or not on these maps, depends on how one wishes.

For those who do not know that game you find in the links, it Axis & Allies Miniatures.
    regards,

Those look pretty cool RedBaron. I've not played A&A in ages, but I loved that game!

Very nice RedBaron. What are those 1 inch hexes? They look great.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by RedBaron View Post
    What kind of maps are we talking about? 2D or 3D?
    I want to do 2D. Simple hexes you can lay out in different ways to create the terrain you need for your mission.

Btw. your maps look great. Did you use them with WoW? If you used them: was it just for the flavour or did the hexes have different meanings?

@Col. Hajj
    Well, I love Axis & Allies Miniatures Game, I have besides these maps some special tuned minis so the whole thing look really nice once deployed.

@CappyTom
    The hexes are around 2.5 inch I believe, the exact measure is 6.55 cm.

@TheBlueBaron
    Well, the maps are for Axis & Allies Miniatures Game. The hexes have a code of colors that represent the terrain they are in.
    For example: white hexes - clear terrain (from the point of view of Line Of Sight); orange hexes - city ; green hexes - forest, trees; blue hexes - sea, lake; yellow hexes - heavy snow; brown hexes - marsh; grey hexes - mountains, hills.

I have yet to use these maps for WoW because I am still waiting for the Dawn of War Rules... I have the minis, I lack the rules. Imagine that
    But I have used the WoW airplanes on these maps, if you look at the last pictures of "France 1940-Op. Adjacent" - western France scenario map you will see them.

Regards,
    Last edited by Baron; 11-12-2009 at 01:39. Reason: add on

Quote Originally Posted by RedBaron View Post

I have yet to use these maps for WoW because I am still waiting for the Dawn of War Rules... I have the minis, I lack the rules. Imagine that
    But I have used the WoW airplanes on these maps, if you look at the last pictures of "France 1940-Op. Adjacent" - western France scenario map you will see them.

Regards,

Are you aware that you can down load the rules as a PDF from either the Nexus site or the Fantasy Flight site?

Yes, actually is bad wording from my side. I have the rules downloaded, I lack all the counters, tokens and the ruler...

Similar Missions

1. Map making
    By ste_marthe in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-11-2009, 14:39