Ares Games

Thread: F4U Corsair

Default F4U Corsair

I picked this up at a local Hobby Lobby. It retails for $5.99 and w/ their 40% of one item coupon got it for less than $4. It is diecast and it's scale is 1/190 so very close to the DoW planes.

Tony!

Nice find, it looks good!

Rich

Builder ? From what company is it?

I'll have to check them out; and with my wife getting coupons every week (plus in the ads), I could get a flight in no time I had seen their offerings of planes, but the scale on those was bigger (1/72nd scale).
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

those Arrows on the wing and tail mark it as being off the USS Bunker Hill..possibly VMF-221.. a Marine squadron.. that unit had the glossy yellow/orange Cowling and that scrawling on the area in front of the cockpit.. possibly late war too.. 45 .. I have a book with a picture of a similar F4U a 122 on it instead of the 167 on yours..

The Arrow indicat Squadleader the Orange Nose is the only signifkat diferent to other Squads, and the Number 167 (or 67 not Shure) what the Panting in front of the cockpit ist unknown for me. Is there a serial Number on the tail?
    Last edited by jhary; 05-31-2011 at 04:40. Reason: Typos

I checked out the three in my area, and came up with a Hawker Typhoon Mk.1b (1/180th so a bit big), an F6F-3 Hellcat (1/190th) and a P-47d Thunderbolt at (drumroll please) 1/200 . Pics will follow soon.
    That left betwee 2 and none on each of the shelves, so hoping they restock soon. I asked the manager at one, and he said they just get whats shipped to them, so who knows what or when.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

The company is called NewRay, I am wanting more but all they had was the Corsair and a P-51D Blue nose (1/160) so I picked them two up. I am wanting the Hellcat but havent found it yet.

The number on the side is 167, if I could find more. I would do so repaints.

Quote Originally Posted by jhary View Post
    The Arrow indicat Squadleader the Orange Nose is the only signifkat diferent to other Squads, and the Number 167 (or 67 not Shure) what the Panting in front of the cockpit ist unknown for me. Is there a serial Number on the tail?
    I have a book in hand called Navy Air colors.. copyright is 1983.. the Arrow insignia on the tail and the wing like that.. is designating that plane as being from the Bunker Hill CV-17.. not a squadron leader.. and the official color on that plane is Orange-yellow... the squadron color of VMF-221.. I was just trying to help with putting a place and time on the aircraft.. the pic I have in the Squadron/Signal book is saying that it was late war in 45.. March... there are many different markings for designating various ships that planes were from..

What do you guys think of these? They have 12 planes from WWII in 1/200. They are diecast metal. I don't know about mounting them to fly, but it looks decent in this picture. It would make for nice variety, at the least. I bet the guys at work could come up with something. I might have to purchase one and see how it looks.

http://www.newrayusa.com/index.php?l...id=0&s_id=2105

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	t-P-47D.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	60.0 KB 
ID:	155320

Quote Originally Posted by Gotham Resident View Post
    What do you guys think of these? They have 12 planes from WWII in 1/200. They are diecast metal. I don't know about mounting them to fly, but it looks decent in this picture. It would make for nice variety, at the least. I bet the guys at work could come up with something. I might have to purchase one and see how it looks.

http://www.newrayusa.com/index.php?l...id=0&s_id=2105

Name:	t-P-47D.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	60.0 KB 
ID:	155320
    I've not seen these first hand, but I don't think they're consistently-scaled. They're listed as being between 1/160 and 1/200. They're not unreasonably priced, but the scaling makes me cautious... then again, I'm not sure how obvious a difference between 1/180 and 1/200 will look on the table.

Oh, your are right, it does that 1/160 on the P40...tricky. I'd be willing to try out 1 of them, that is listed at 1/200 scale. Hrm.

Just saw this about these planes. Can't see the picture but I think I know what the F4U is. They are New Ray models and come in a number of scales. I have 7 of these:

P-47 & P38 1/200
    Mig fighter X2 1/140
    P-51 1/140
    Typhoon 1/180
    Coursair 1/190

As for the markings on the Cousair the arrow indicates the planes are from the Bunker Hill (CV 17). The squadrons are VMF 451 & 221 (Marines) and VF 84 (Navy). All the plates in the book (Osprey 109) show that marking over the cowling. Not sure what it means. I see Gunnar has also given some info about this.

Here are scans of the profiles I mentioned.

Name:	1-19-2015 4;22;08 PM.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	188.3 KB 
ID:	155321
    Cover

Name:	1-19-2015 4;23;26 PM.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	66.6 KB 
ID:	155322
    VMF 451

Name:	1-19-2015 4;23;51 PM.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	80.9 KB 
ID:	155323

Name:	1-19-2015 4;24;13 PM.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	81.0 KB 
ID:	155324

As you can see there is the same marking on the cowling on each plane.

Mischa

Glue a magnet on them and away you go. Pick up some of the Aerodrome Accessories pursuit stands or use the Litko system bases. I have two of the D.520 they are roughly 1:150, but i use 144 scale planes!

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by BobP View Post
    Just saw this about these planes. Can't see the picture but I think I know what the F4U is. They are New Ray models and come in a number of scales. I have 7 of these:

P-47 & P38 1/200
    Mig fighter X2 1/140
    P-51 1/140
    Typhoon 1/180
    Coursair 1/190

As for the markings on the Cousair the arrow indicates the planes are from the Bunker Hill (CV 17). The squadrons are VMF 451 & 221 (Marines) and VF 84 (Navy). All the plates in the book (Osprey 109) show that marking over the cowling. Not sure what it means. I see Gunnar has also given some info about this.
    Bob, that's indeed the set, the link shows 12 planes in the set, but some are listed in the sized you state. (the picture is of the P47). Do you still use the oddly scaled planes? Do you like the 1/200 scale planes, ie do they look ok w/ the Ares models? I'd be willing to use the 1/190 Corsair because, well, it's just me. I'd use the P47 for variety & P28 for variety's sake too if they look reasonable w/ the Ares. I wasn't sure how die-cast & plastic would work for my game session.

Quote Originally Posted by richard m schwab View Post
    Mischa

Glue a magnet on them and away you go. Pick up some of the Aerodrome Accessories pursuit stands or use the Litko system bases. I have two of the D.520 they are roughly 1:150, but i use 144 scale planes!

Rich
    A magnet! Duh. Good idea. Thanks Rich

Thumbs up

I have 2 of each of the Corsairs, Thunderbolts & Lightnings.

They are really great for WW2 WoG.
    For those asking about the white lines on the cowling.
    They were tapes added in the field to stop petrol fumes entering the Cockpit. (Info from Ospreys Corsair Aces book)

Quote Originally Posted by fast.git View Post
    I've not seen these first hand, but I don't think they're consistently-scaled. They're listed as being between 1/160 and 1/200. They're not unreasonably priced, but the scaling makes me cautious... then again, I'm not sure how obvious a difference between 1/180 and 1/200 will look on the table.

Name:	P47_366th FS Davis.png 
Views:	91 
Size:	688.7 KB 
ID:	155341

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    I have 2 of each of the Corsairs, Thunderbolts & Lightnings.

They are really great for WW2 WoG.
    For those asking about the white lines on the cowling.
    They were tapes added in the field to stop petrol fumes entering the Cockpit. (Info from Ospreys Corsair Aces book)

Name:	WGS_F4U_Card_VF84Hendrick.png 
Views:	88 
Size:	136.0 KB 
ID:	155340
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Anyone got an address for suppliers of these in the U.K?
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Mike, mind if I copy those images to word and play the sizes and then print them out? I think I just found some new planes for me!

Rich here is a scan of Wing Kit 11 which has the P47.

Name:	1-20-2015 3;11;22 PM.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	234.2 KB 
ID:	155362

Set 11 has:

109G
    P-47D
    Type 22 Zero

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post

Name:	P47_366th FS Davis.png 
Views:	91 
Size:	688.7 KB 
ID:	155341

Name:	WGS_F4U_Card_VF84Hendrick.png 
Views:	88 
Size:	136.0 KB 
ID:	155340
    Thats some kick ass plane

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Anyone got an address for suppliers of these in the U.K?
    Rob.
    The more I look, the more I see they are selling a 24-plane set, but it's contains all various sizes. I can't see a place to get single plane sales. I might email them and ask if we can work something out for just buying a lot of 1/200 scale planes.

The more I look, the more I see they are selling a 24-plane set, but it's contains all various sizes. I can't see a place to get single plane sales. I might email them and ask if we can work something out for just buying a lot of 1/200 scale planes.
    Cheers Mischa.
    Rob.

That would be great Mischa Good luck .
    Paul

That would be great Mischa Good luck . Ps Jets or Giants ?
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by tikkifriend View Post
    That would be great Mischa Good luck . Ps Jets or Giants ?
    Paul
    Ha!!!! We live in the Philly part of New Jersey. So the Eagles. And the Bengals as I grew up in KY.
    UK Wildcats (college basketball) are my favorite though.

[QUOTE=Gotham Resident;331097]Ha!!!! We live in the Philly part of New Jersey. So the Eagles. And the Bengals as I grew up in KY.
    UK Wildcats (college basketball) are my favorite though.[/QUOTE
    Considering they got Sanchez from the Jets they did well this year.

I'm a Skins fan myself , living in the glory years of Diesel Riggins and the Hogs

Surprised these aren't in Aerodrome Accessories (hint, hint :) ).

Ha!!!! We live in the Philly part of New Jersey. So the Eagles. And the Bengals as I grew up in KY.
    UK Wildcats (college basketball) are my favorite though.
    I just checked your profile; dang you're next door to my home town, Cherry Hill!
    You can find these planes at Hobby Lobbies, but Googlemaps shows only 2 in the state, Princeton and south of Vineland. Also, the numbers are small (2-4 on the shelf), and the variety is extremely variable.
    I drop into the 3 in my area periodically, looking for Hellcats, Corsairs and Lightnings, and rarely find them.
    Aircraft museums often have them in their gift shops.
    Karl

Thanks Karl,

Yup, we pass through Cherry Hill daily.

Thanks for looking up those locations, they aren't terribly close. Not close to convice Mrs GR I need to drive over there on the off chance they have another "toy".

I found my D.520`s in aviation museum gift shop.

Rich

Thumbs up

Mischa

Here is how i mount my 144 scale fighters. I glue a small 3/16x 1/16 flat magnet to each model as i build it. I also glue a magnet on a stick.This is great for painting and decal application. I attach a gimbel and away they go.

Rich
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_3379.jpg   000_0086.jpg  

Smile

Bob

I have that set plus the Platz P-47C`s.

Rich
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_3527.jpg   100_3529.jpg  

Another 1/144 set I have is 21st Century Toys. I have 2 P-51's and a P-47. They are painted and built. Only thing is you can't adjust the landing gear. It is in the down position but if you are good you may be able to change that.

I got an answer from New Ray. Normally all the models are sold in 24 packs (2 of each different kind in all the various sizes). BUT, if someone wanted to get just the 1/190 (Hellcat & Corsair) and 1/200 models (P-38 & P-47): MOQ is 1,200 pcs per style at $2.50/pc. Yeah...never mind.

Went to the PX yesterday and they had a good selection of the New Ray planes.

Zero's (2)/P-40's (2)/BF-109's(2)/Typhoon/Spitfire/Hellcat/Corsair/Mig. I picked up the 1 D-520 they had. Price $4.95. Maybe there are some Wings players and that is why there were no P-47's or P-38's.

Went to the PX yesterday and they had a good selection of the New Ray planes.

Zero's (2)/P-40's (2)/BF-109's(2)/Typhoon/Spitfire/Hellcat/Corsair/Mig. I picked up the 1 D-520 they had. Price $4.95. Maybe there are some Wings players and that is why there were no P-47's or P-38's.
    Lucky Bob.
    Have you checked the scales?
    What does the Corsair look like compared to true 1:200 scale.
    Rob.

Scales vary from 1/140 to 1/200 Corsair is 1/190 and pretty close to the 1/200 planes.

Scales vary from 1/140 to 1/200 Corsair is 1/190 and pretty close to the 1/200 planes.
    I'll just have to hope that I can pick up a few from a show over this side of the pond then.
    Thanks for the info Bob.
    Rob.