Ares Games
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: New Shapeways Fokker DR1

Yes, we could cut them apart... but why do that if we can get them made like we need them? I actually have someone interested in making the 3D designs (that does 3D designing for a living) for different planes for this very thing, but they can't start until later this summer.

My thoughts are to have him design them with the wings separate and with hole in the bottom to nicely fit one of the gimbal bearings or for adding a plastic post for those that don't use the gimbal mounts.

that is awesome Keith. I look forward to seeing this happen.. I really would like to do some more repaints.. lol.. my addiction is getting worse.. I just jumped into the WWII pool and have about a dozen planes for that one.. lol.. my local Game store is loving me more and more.. lol
    Will he be doing just WWI or maybe some WWII as well..

For my projects, it'll be WWI at first. He does have a personal interest in doing WWII as well though.

In most cases, it appears that `Wingco Rob` builds his whitemetal models first, then
    primes and paints...initially these Shapeways models, Or at least the first one (from Roman)
    May need to be treated in this way.
    Further designs may be `rendered` on a sprue, as with a traditional plastic model....
    But at this stage many questions need to be answered...will we need to prime...will decals stick ?...what is the best material..glues ?....etc
    I think we all have about another week before we start answering these questions.....
    It`s going to be a long week

Quote Originally Posted by batesyboy View Post
    In most cases, it appears that `Wingco Rob` builds his whitemetal models first, then
    primes and paints...initially these Shapeways models, Or at least the first one (from Roman)
    May need to be treated in this way.
    Further designs may be `rendered` on a sprue, as with a traditional plastic model....
    But at this stage many questions need to be answered...will we need to prime...will decals stick ?...what is the best material..glues ?....etc
    I think we all have about another week before we start answering these questions.....
    It`s going to be a long week
    Lets hope that the conclusions are good.
    I'm on holiday for a week.
    Hope that there is some news when I get back.
    Burt

Well done Don for your excellent Recce mission that identified this source !

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by Boney10 View Post
    Np Wingco , will see what mr paypal says when they arrive. Hopefully will be up in your neck of the woods soon after they arrive.
    Right Chris.
    That is fine if it's O.K. with you.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Woohoo! email from Shapeways saying mine are in production
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

I got the same email tonight Steve.

Great news. So swift as well.
    Rob.

I'm very curious to see how this turns out. I may have to dust off Blender if the parts prove durable enough for gaming.

If they turn out good, then I will have a place to get Dr.Is for repaints instead of paying what they go for on ebay.

Quote Originally Posted by costampede View Post
    If they turn out good, then I will have a place to get Dr.Is for repaints instead of paying what they go for on ebay.
    You do know E-Bay = E-vil - Bay right? :P

G1

Mine have now reached Stanstead airport.....

I can't believe it, I am holding my breath in anticipation of you getting your minis! Can't wait to see the reviews.

Default And.... Touchdown!

My Dr1s arrived this afto. Some quick shots below.

Size-wise they are very close to the WoW Triplane, perhaps a millimetre shorter and sitting slightly lower on the undercart. Very fine rib detail on the flying surfaces, and with an accurate rudder profile. The material used is rigid and survived the 'bendy-wing' test without breaking. You will need to provide your own driver. Should they bring out a Camel or Snipe you might have difficulty getting one in the cockpit without surgically removing the top wing.

Two things of note: the first being that is a one-piece 'casting', which shouldn't cause too many painting problems so long as you are careful wielding your brush. The second is the roughness of the surface. I am not sure yet if this will disappear under a coat of paint. I bought three, so I'll paint the first 'as is', and if the roughness shows through will apply wet n dry to the other two before painting.

First impressions are good, and I am pleased with them. The only problem now is what colour schemes to use.

Mine have arrived...and although i went for the white, strong and flexible (which may not be the optimum material)
    They are superb...i hope Roman is getting a royalty for these....My camera battery is flat,but as soon as it`s charged up
    i`ll post some pictures...
    Wingco Rob in particular will love these, as the scale fidelity outstrips all whitemetal models that i`ve seen to date..
    Top Gun Roman !....
    oops i see steve has posted some pic`s...
    Last edited by batesyboy; 06-02-2011 at 11:07.

Mine have arrived...and although i went for the white, strong and flexible (which may not be the optimum material)
    I went for that option, and agree with you. Might go for the frosted ultra next time (although a bit pricy).

One thing I've noticed on the other biplanes they do, and I assume this is because of the production process - if a plane has wing struts in pairs, the gap between them is filled in, and yet the inner V struts of the Triplane are not 'filled in'. Bit of a downer, and their FE2 looks just WRONG.

Steve, I wouldn`t touch the rest of the ww1 models on the shapeways site with a bargepole !
    I think that there will be an Fe2b forthcoming from Roman at some stage...but hey, there`s a few
    nice ones on the way from him...
    Airco DH5
    and Junkers D1 to start...watch this space !

They look good, I wonder if the Polished version is better to go with?

Steve, I wouldn`t touch the rest of the ww1 models on the shapeways site with a bargepole !
    I think that there will be an Fe2b forthcoming from Roman at some stage...but hey, there`s a few
    nice ones on the way from him...
    Airco DH5
    and Junkers D1 to start...watch this space !
    Yes Lee, those two will do for me!

Rob!

It look s good. I would give a a light primer. To see if that seals it a bit. Two or three light coats should help a lot!

Rich

Thanks for the photos, the model looks really nice.

So the obvious questions are:

1. How well does it paint
    2. Can it be superglued?
    3. Does a different finish have a smoother finish and how does that affect painting?

Did anyone order a different material?

I can't believe I missed this thread up to this point.

I am now officially rubber-necking here.

Now you chaps have got me all excited. I'm either going to do it as Raban or an all black number. Neither will then fly with any of the other Jastas and thus any size anomalies will not be apparent.
    Rob.

Unfortunately Wingco I hasve not received anything about the three I ordered except to say they had the order

Unfortunately Wingco I hasve not received anything about the three I ordered except to say they had the order
    I have a couple you can have for a tenner each

Quote Originally Posted by richard m schwab View Post
    Rob!
    Rob? How dare you, Sir!

You obviously did not mention my name to them then Chris. They are pulling rank on you by supplying Squadron Leaders first.Or pahaps your mistake was that you did mention my name. I must get round to squaring up my Mess bill!
    Kyte.

As I said previously, I ordered the polished version. however nothing from them except to say I had made the order and a copy of my invoice saying paid.
    Maybe the delay is because it was the polished version I ordered. (at moment bottom lip is pushed out and trembling)

Why did they put the prop on the stern, I didn't know DR1 was a pusher

OK, I think it looks great prop on rear or not lol

As I said previously, I ordered the polished version. however nothing from them except to say I had made the order and a copy of my invoice saying paid.
    Maybe the delay is because it was the polished version I ordered. (at moment bottom lip is pushed out and trembling)
    We will just have to grin and bear it then Chris. As for the bottom lip trembling, Kytey tells me that is acceptable, as long as the upper lip remains stiff.
    Rob.

All not lost here , re-read the invoice, it seems the polished version takes 18 working days, not the 10 for the Strong Flexible, so wil post when they arrive bottom lip now retracted

Just ordered myself a few...

The second release by Roman is now available from shapeways,
    It`s the Junkers D1 monoplane.....get in !!!!

just seen, another order on way

The second release by Roman is now available from shapeways,
    It`s the Junkers D1 monoplane.....get in !!!!
    Ohhhhhhh....... Must get a few.
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Decided that I better take the plunge and sent an order off for both planes.
    Don

All not lost here , re-read the invoice, it seems the polished version takes 18 working days, not the 10 for the Strong Flexible, so wil post when they arrive bottom lip now retracted
    Thanks for the update Chris. A retractable bottom lip is an innovation. I didn't know that they were available until well after the Great War. I bet that gives you a much better turn of speed.
    Rob.

Good spot Karl! OK chaps, I'm going in!

Edit: Lee have you got a link please - can't find it.

Edit edit: From Roman - http://www.shapeways.com/model/27038..._i.html?gid=ug

Roman says a D.VII and Sopwith Tripehound up next. D.VII will have separate parts on a sprue. Things are looking up chaps!
    Last edited by Guntruck; 06-05-2011 at 06:01.

A Sopwith triplane aswell
    Things are really looking up
    SWMBO is going to get a bit suspicious when lots of little parcels start arriving.
    Luckily I only work part-time so can intercept some of them
    Don
    Last edited by Burt; 06-05-2011 at 06:05. Reason: spelling

I hope Nexus are looking and look what they have missed out on

I hope Nexus are looking and look what they have missed out on
    I was thinking exactly the same thing. With such expertise and models that are excellent for the hobby side of the game they have really missed out. I quite fancy getting myself one of these 3D model building kits.....

Chris!

You use this system to make complete 3D sub parts. Theses are used in making plastic injection molds! That saves time and big bucks. The time spent doing the 3d drafting is proofed in minutes and the same drawing is used to make the molds!
    The cost of the 3D rendering is more expensive than injection molding per part!

Rich

Hey Don, you do realise that my SWMBO is completely blaming you for the influx of new planes, of course as it deflects the heat from me, I have totally concurred with her thinking
    Last edited by Boney10; 06-05-2011 at 11:14.

Sorry Chris, maybe I should keep new discoveries to myself in future
    Don

Quote Originally Posted by Burt View Post
    Sorry Chris, maybe I should keep new discoveries to myself in future
    Don
    If they are like this one - DON'T YOU DARE!!!!!!!!!

So going back to the original title of this thread - Do we have agrement on how well these paint and which is the best material to order?

Bill, not done anything with mine yet, but I did realise afterwards that I had managed to order the White flexible rather than the white flexible polished which I had intended to do. This will explain the rough-ish finish of those seen in the photo. I await a report from somebody who is not as hard-of-thinking as me, and did order the polished product. I guess this has got to be a better finish. I'll probably be ordering the Junkers in polished material (along with some 28mm Daleks!).

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast