Ares Games
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: New Shapeways Fokker DR1

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fokker DVII.jpg 
Views:	244 
Size:	87.6 KB 
ID:	15999Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fokker DVII.jpg 
Views:	244 
Size:	87.6 KB 
ID:	15999
    Quote Originally Posted by Boney10 View Post
    Anyone got a pic of the DVII before I send away to Skytrex
    OK, I'm not the greatest with a camera and seem to have obliterated the detail of the wing surface in the shot but this shows the D.VIIs after undercoating which seems to highlight the layers, (I used Armypainter White spray). In the flesh the effect doesn't seem as drastic as it appears in the photos of the DR1s and I remain confident that it will disappear under the paint.
    My 'German Lozenge' (in the style of Monet) will take a while so you'll have to content yourselves with this for time being. That said I wouldn't want to try putting a decal on the surface...

I suspect the better finish of the D.VII has to do with the angle of the surfaces during production, eg. on the rear stabilisers there are a number of layers visible on the DR1 whilst the D.VII seems to be a single layer other than the ribs.
    The wings would have been near horizontal during production whilst the Triplane already sitting on it's undercarriage would have been around 10-15 degrees, I think the design could be tweaked to adjust that angle so that top surfaces are horizontal during production.
    Wheras the Dr-1 looks almost tiled the D.VII layering looks like a fingerprint...
    Last edited by Ripskar; 07-03-2011 at 07:37.

Just finished the first 2 of 5 Dr1s and they came out great. I gave them 5 coats of poly acrylic without any sanding which sealed them well enough to do the final paint and decals! These models arIe great! Now onto my DVIIs.

Quote Originally Posted by clipper1801 View Post
    Just finished the first 2 of 5 Dr1s and they came out great. I gave them 5 coats of poly acrylic without any sanding which sealed them well enough to do the final paint and decals! These models arIe great! Now onto my DVIIs.
    Got any pictures - Please as I would lov to see the efect of the poly acrylic

Quote Originally Posted by Brobin View Post
    Got any pictures - Please as I would lov to see the efect of the poly acrylic
    It would also help if I could spell :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Brobin View Post
    It would also help if I could spell :-)
    Or you could just use your edit facility Bill, and then no one would be any the wiser.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Glad to hear a positive report while I wait for my planes to arrive.
    I was starting to think the worst.
    Cheers Don

I have almost finished the two DR1 I have. They have painted up ok but Im still wary of the finish as earlier posts.
    Will post a pic when all completed

For those of you awaiting the arrival of the Sopwith Triplane, this might be of interest:

http://bleaseworld.blogspot.com/2011...ck-flight.html
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Quote Originally Posted by Guntruck View Post
    For those of you awaiting the arrival of the Sopwith Triplane, this might be of interest:

http://bleaseworld.blogspot.com/2011...ck-flight.html
    I also painted the Austin Osprey up as well if anyone is interested:

I haven't had any real issues with the surface texture for painting or applying decals.
    Last edited by Iron Cow; 07-05-2011 at 05:05.

It was indeed very interesting Gunners. I am still toying with the idea of ordering three to do the Black Flight myself.
    Thanks for that.
    Rob.

Well lets see if this works, my first solo on photobucket-eek!

Lets try this again, here is the link to my Shapeways DRIs, I would highly recommend them, especially if you use a filling medium like Minwax water based Polycrylic clear gloss varnish. I dipped the models 3 times, wiping off the excess and giving them a final brushed on coat, then the colors. It's been in the 109 plus degrees here in Phoenix so they dry quickly : ) I also made my own props from 3/32" square spruce, they spin sooooo cool!
    Last edited by clipper1801; 07-04-2011 at 12:44.

Lets try this again, here is the link to my Shapeways DRIs, I would highly recommend them, especially if you use a filling medium like Minwax water based Polycrylic clear gloss varnish. I dipped the models 3 times, wiping off the excess and giving them a final brushed on coat, then the colors. It's been in the 109 plus degrees here in Phoenix so they dry quickly : ) I also made my own props from 3/32" square spruce, they spin sooooo cool!

http://s1106.photobucket.com/albums/...-58-08_311.jpg
    Yes Dave that has spruced it up no end. Very neat work there old chap.
    Rob.

Here is my Polished version painted as Raban Jasta 18

Still not 100% about the finish of the model

David's look close, but still not quite smooth enough... and quite a few extra steps to get them that way. BTW, you have unlimited photo storage here on the Aerodrome site... no need to mess with Photobucket

Chris, the pattern is still very visible on yours The paint job looks good though!

Yes Col, I agree, a bit dissapointing I must admit. The second one Im painting as Jocobs, but the black shows the pattern evan more it seems.
    I have a lot of DR1 repaints I want to do now I can make my own decals but wont indulge with Shapeways as I hoped, untill the pattern is not as noticable.
    It has also stopped me getting the other Shapeways aircraft I had my eye on too

Here is the one painted black, unpolished version

If that`s the unpolished version, they must have changed the process...
    That`s not as good as my two (from the original unpolished order)
    Shapeways need to be notified of this, and told to get their act together !

I think I will just hold off until the re-prints come out. I still want to see what Frosted Ultra Detail looks like. Maybe it wont have this problem.

I PM'd Roman about the strange pattern on the Fokker Dr1 wings to see if he had a view. Here is my PM and his response:

Your Shapeways designs
    Hi Roman,

There has been a lot of chat on this site regarding the Fokker Triplanes that Shapeways are making at the moment, regarding the strange pattern on the top wing and fuselage that was not apparent on the original models.

As the guy who designed it, what is your view? Should this pattern be present or is there something wrong with the way Shapeways is producing the model.

Be interested to hear from you.

Cheers

Steve

Re: Your Shapeways designs
    Hi Steve,

I think it's Shapeways bug, because models ordered before and after looks correct. Did you get my early PM (edit: no I hadn't)? Shapeways support reccomend send the order number to it and they check where is the problem. Sorry about it.

Regards,
    Roman.
    Last edited by Guntruck; 07-05-2011 at 08:29.

I have sent a mail to shapeways CS and will report anything that comes from them

So we have seen some great photos of the unpolished and a few of the polished. Does anyone have the other finishes? Does the Frosted look/feel better?

None of the Frosted have come in yet.

Hunter's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Terry
    Sorties Flown

I think these look great! No they're not NEXUS, but they're damn good and worth the extra trouble, compared to paying $35 - $100 for any of the NEXUS three DrI's!

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter View Post
    I think these look great! No they're not NEXUS, but they're damn good and worth the extra trouble, compared to paying $35 - $100 for any of the NEXUS three DrI's!
    But with $9 DR.Is just a few months away... not so much.

Hunter's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Terry
    Sorties Flown

I hope you're right and the NEXUS $9 DrI's and reprints are just around the corner. However, I'll believe it when I see them, been alot of talk for awhile, e.g., bombers supposed to be out last month, right?

$9 I wish, here in UK they will retail around the Ł9 or Ł10 mark Ill wager. But at least we got some new schemes

Not sure what the postage is, but it might be worth ordering them from the site sponsor, Cool Stuff Inc. They sell the scouts for $8.49 all the time.

Shapeways DRIs, I would highly recommend them, especially if you use a filling medium like Minwax water based Polycrylic clear gloss varnish. I dipped the models 3 times, wiping off the excess and giving them a final brushed on coat, then the colors. It's been in the 109 plus degrees here in Phoenix so they dry quickly : ) I also made my own props from 3/32" square spruce, they spin sooooo cool!
    Hi Dave I think the way you have done your models are excellent, but to say you highly recommend, if you are going to use a filling medium is a bit defeating the object. Surely we should be getting the models ready to go not having to fix them. In my case I was hoping an undercoat would help, it didnt.
    Yours as I say look excellent and Im glad it has worked out ok for you. Personally, at the moment I would not recommend Shapeways untill the process has been "fixed"

Quote Originally Posted by Oberst Hajj View Post
    Not sure what the postage is, but it might be worth ordering them from the site sponsor, Cool Stuff Inc. They sell the scouts for $8.49 all the time.
    Thanks Col, Ill wait and see, first if they arrive and second check out the price and what postage & customs may be. Thanks for the heads up though

My first two planes from Shapeways in Frosted Ultra Detail arrived today.
    They took a month to arrive, I still have a couple of Tripehounds on order.
    The material has a translucent appearance, the detailing is pretty good.
    They don't seem to be like Boney 10's planes which look a bit messy on the top wing.
    There is some slight patterning where the different layers have been laid down but with a couple of coats of paint and lacquer I think that they will not be very visable.
    The pictures are not good as my camera is rubbish but give an idea of there appearance.
    I was getting worried with all the adverse comments but all in all I am happy with them and will probably order more planes in the future.
    Don
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Wargames 001.jpg   Wargames 005.jpg   Wargames 003.jpg  

A month for FUD? Doubt I could have held out that long.
    How do the guns/engines look in this option?

Quote Originally Posted by Ripskar View Post
    A month for FUD? Doubt I could have held out that long.
    How do the guns/engines look in this option?
    A month seems a long time when there are a lot of adverse comments and you wonder what is going to turn up.
    I havn't seen any of the other Shapeways planes in the flesh so cannot compare them.
    The Junkers engine and exhaust look quite detailed considering the scale.
    There is not much to see on the DR1 just the cylinder heads.
    Both planes have a couple of MG's that look OK.
    The Shapeways website has added a couple of extra pictures of some of the planes.

Greetings skysters!

Indeed there is a difference in approach to modeling and gaming, I come from a scratch building background where we make everything from stock metal, wood and plastics, while others are looking for something to customize and get into the game;both are fun and very valid in their own ways. I enjoyed exploring the 3-D printing experience and found the process, modeling time and results rewarding. Others may not. I just spent 6 hours last night regrinding and reforming two white metal Gotha Bombers, interplane struts attaching to the ailerons? I don't think so. Lots of work but lots of fun too. To each their own. I will be scratch building a fleet of bombers from bass wood, so yes I am crazy and yes I will continue to explore the Shapeways planes et all

Quote Originally Posted by Burt View Post
    A month seems a long time when there are a lot of adverse comments and you wonder what is going to turn up.
    I havn't seen any of the other Shapeways planes in the flesh so cannot compare them.
    The Junkers engine and exhaust look quite detailed considering the scale.
    There is not much to see on the DR1 just the cylinder heads.
    Both planes have a couple of MG's that look OK.
    The Shapeways website has added a couple of extra pictures of some of the planes.
    The Junkers' engine does look more defined than my Fokker D.VII's though it may simply be a different model. The cylinder heads and exhaust are present though fairly blank and don't show cooling veins for example, I take it the frosted detail also lacks these?

Wow they look like Ghosts !
    Mine are due tomorrow, hope i`m back from work in time

Quote Originally Posted by Ripskar View Post
    The Junkers' engine does look more defined than my Fokker D.VII's though it may simply be a different model. The cylinder heads and exhaust are present though fairly blank and don't show cooling veins for example, I take it the frosted detail also lacks these?
    After a closer look I couldn't see any cooling vanes, but for a model this size for gaming purposes I don't think it matters personally.
    I find the only time I look at a model in the finest detail is when I'm painting it, after that it is the overall appearance of the plane that matters.
    But I am a gamer first and a modeler second

Don's models dont look half bad at all, I must have been one of the unlucky ones with mine.
    I shall wait and see what Shapeways CS have to say as we seem to be a 50 -50 split here with some being acceptable while others are not

Now these look a lot better. Still waiting for mine though.....

Got two ultra detail frosted sopwith triplanes today...
    both were badly warped and broken !
    After such a wait ...this really sucks !

Default A load of Tripe !

shapeways is now renamed sh*tways
    What`s more they knew they were wrong as the propellors were attached to the front,
    not to the fin as shown in the drawings.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF1817.jpg   DSCF1816.jpg   DSCF1818.jpg  

After reading in a previous post that they were easily damaged with heat, i filled a hand basin with handhot water
    and tried to tease out the warps.
    One propellor broke immediately, but i managed to improve the warps a little.
    I noticed that one was missing a tail skid.
    My skills as a modeller could put these things right, but at this price i shouldn`t have to.
    Still awaiting my order of Fokker D VII Osprey and Junkers

What a mess.
    It seems a bit of a lottery what you get, I must have been lucky.
    I still have a couple of Sopwiths on order, fingers crossed.
    They need to sort themselves out or they will lose a lot of customers.
    Its such a shame.

I got my delivery email from them this morning... July 11th. Guess I'll have to wait and see what I get.

Had a look at the Shapeways website in the warrenty section in 'Terms and Conditions'.
    It states that if the product is faulty when you received it and you believe you are entitled to a replacement contact them within 10 days.

oohhh they dont look good. what a shame, this started with such promise, but looks a tad hit and miss at the moment

After the treatment in the `Hand-hot` water, and reattaching of broken parts, they`re looking better
    BEWARE ! one of the two (the most warped) appears to have become `furry` on the undersurfaces
    after the hotwater treatment....
    YOU SHOULDN`T HAVE TO DO THIS !
    And they`re too fragile to use in a game !
    Back to the wsf material i think !

The `finished` model is one of my card models...i know what i`d rather use in a game !
    Batesyboy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF1820.jpg   DSCF1819.jpg   DSCF1821.jpg  

It does seem that after such a promising start so many people have been disappointed. As you say it looks as if it is all a bit hit and miss. That would not be so bad if they could replace them in double quick time, but after a long lead in time, the last thing you want is another long wait. My attention span these days is not much longer than the book I am reading. I may feel like doing Naval 8 this week but if the bits don't arrive, I move on to Jasta 5. or my Spads.
    Rob.

Lee, that is absolutely rediculous. What sort of packaging did they come in? My last lot came in a strong box with a lot of packing, so if yours came the same way I would suggest that they went into the box in that condition. Given the cost of them Shapeways should hang their heads in shame, and certainly the phrase 'not fit for purpose' comes to mind.

Hey Gunners,
    Yep the packaging was as you suggest.
    The props were attached to the cowl rather than the rudder, showing that they had been
    seen before being packed...my conjecture is that they knew that they were duff !

At this point i would like to say that as a concept and as models they are truely outstanding
    at this scale. Roman`s work (as usual) is top notch !
    However i will await Shapeways response before i make any further orders.
    The concept is there, This is a new technology. If Shapeways continue to dissapoint
    I`m sure there are other companies who can do a better job

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast